• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Tool Purchase help needed...

If you’re considering switching systems, base it on the general ecosystem and tool choice and where they lean. I wound up with Milwaukee M12 and M18 based on this. The opinion of a bunch of handy people I know is you can’t really go that wrong with any of the major colors these days.

Again, I chose because of the M18 sawzall and blower, M12 for a heated sweater for the wife. All lines will have the basics.

Brushless also rule.

Pick a brand (Milwaukee, Dewilt, Makita) and stick with it in system so if you add more shit later the batteries will be compatible.

I have a stable of Makita 18V LXT batteries and chargers and it sure is nice just buying battery-free tools whenever I want something new.

-Mike

Only if you drive over to pick it up in your Lambo. LOL

The latest season of This Old House seems very heavily sponsored by Festool. They are using Festool items for just about everything wherever possible - even if it's just the wrong manufacturer for that specific tool. It gets funny at times. Using this mini Festool tool/shop vac on a job. $600. YIKES! Sure it's got little holes all over to put your tool exhaust into PLUS it acts like a shop vac to clean up, but you've got 3 guys and 2 of these vacs on a deck refinish. LOL.

I'll put in my 2c on this: Rigid can go suck my butthole. I hate them. Years ago I bought a screw gun. Inside of 2 years, the batteries crapped out. "Sorry, we don't warranty batteries. Tough." I tossed it and never bought another Rigid tool again. A year later they pull out this "RIGID TOOLS IS FREE BATTERIES FOR LIFE!" bullspit campaign. I see. So I wasn't the only guy you totally boned on the crappy batteries.

Reminds me of late 80's MOPAR when every Chrysler Dodge vehicle came with a warranty 2x longer than any other car. Why? I dunno, but it SEEMED like it was something that was NEEDED in a Dodge. Had they not invented the mini-van, Obama would have never had to bail them out in 09.

I have to say I am a total Festool slut, and I have no ragrets. [laugh]
The drills and drivers are some of the best investment i've ever made in tools. The first time I borrowed a Festool driver for an installation, I was like "Oh, this is what it's supposed to be like".
The only Festool battery that shit the bed on me was a NiCD on a CS-12 that i didnt charge for 3-4 years. All of the Li Batteries are awesome. The tools are EXPENSIVE but its buy once, cry once. I've got a pair of CXS's , a TXS, and the PDC (which is a goddamn beast).

My default after teutonic-gucci-tools is Milwaukee for sure. Dewalt can pound sand.

Going against the crowd...
Don't buy cordless. Buy quality corded or pneumatic and they will last near forever. Batteries wear out and when they do, they can be difficult to replace.

Don't buy cordless. Buy quality corded or pneumatic and they will last near forever. Batteries wear out and when they do, they can be difficult to replace.
Maybe in a shop setting where you are in the same spot every day. Other than that, i see no need to ever again use the corded tools I have.
If you don't think battery tools have the power of corded, you haven't used the new generation. The convenience of not having to plug in far outweighs any fear of running out of battery power. I haven't worn out Milwaukee battery yet, but if I do, every Home Depot has a rack full of them.

The drills and drivers are some of the best investment i've ever made in tools. The first time I borrowed a Festool driver for an installation, I was like "Oh, this is what it's supposed to be like".
The only Festool battery that shit the bed on me was a NiCD on a CS-12 that i didnt charge for 3-4 years. All of the Li Batteries are awesome. The tools are EXPENSIVE but its buy once, cry once. I've got a pair of CXS's , a TXS, and the PDC (which is a goddamn beast).

My default after teutonic-gucci-tools is Milwaukee for sure. Dewalt can pound sand.

I really want to pick up a Festool track saw and compound miter saw after using my brother-in-law’s while helping him redo his deck this past summer. I have Bosch stuff out the wazoo for woodworking, but would love to somehow justify switching over to Festool.

For the OP, I bought all in to the DeWalt system many moons ago. It’s been solid for my use, but if I had to go with basic home tools (impact driver, drill, etc.) I’d probably go with Milwaukee. Their stuff just seems more solid than the new DeWalt stuff.

Wait a few weeks for the after Thanksgiving "Black Friday" sales at the big box stores. I recommend a Milwaukee 12 volt set up. More than enough power and versatility for around the house jobs. You should be able to get a drill and an impact driver plus batteries and charger for under your target price.

Chris

Maybe in a shop setting where you are in the same spot every day. Other than that, i see no need to ever again use the corded tools I have.
If you don't think battery tools have the power of corded, you haven't used the new generation. The convenience of not having to plug in far outweighs any fear of running out of battery power. I haven't worn out Milwaukee battery yet, but if I do, every Home Depot has a rack full of them.
When I said what I did about battery life, I was talking about how many years you should expect - not how much use between charges. I really prefer the buy once, cry once approach and buy decent quality stuff to last a long time.

I hope you don’t watch the comparison torture tests on YouTube. Festool is great if you’re only going to make a couple of cuts a day or a couple of cuts an hour to be fair. If you’re going to try and build a condominium complex with them they will melt down into a pile of ozzing plastic. They’re not designed for heavy construction work they‘re designed for very light carpentry shop work. If you want the best drill, driver, or hammer drill made get a Hilti.

If you don’t believe me check out AvE‘s reviews on YouTube. He does quite a few Festool reviews.

Two things about buying cordless tools, especially DeWalt which has a huge market saturation: 1. They go on deep, deep sales often enough. Every few months you'll be able to pick up a tool kit for almost nothing. 2. Because of this they have high depreciation and secondary sellers can't get much for them. If your local hardware store is selling a drill for $200, and Home Depot has it for $150, you can probably get it on eBay for $90 brand new in the box.

I'd go with a new drill. I went from 18V DeWalt to 20V DeWalt and the tools are much smaller, more powerful, and the batteries last longer. You won't be able to buy new batteries alone for less than a whole tool kit costs.

I got two NiMH batteries to replace the dead NiCd's on my now 18 year old Milwaukee about 3-4 years ago. I think it was about $50 for two. They work with the old charger.
My brother has a newer dewalt set. I dont think the newer stuff is as good.
My 8 year old 12v Milwaukee is a good set.

Do Google and youtube searches find out who owns who and who makes for who and where. Alot of buyouts and consolidation happened in the last 10 years.Buy the best quality you can afford.
Find a barely used Hilti if u can!

I buy Milwaukee tools for the high school students to use in the Electrical Shop class I teach. They last. If the students can't kill it, that's a pretty good indicator that Milwaukee is building good stuff.

Chris

Do you all think any of the Milwaukee multi-tool combo sets will be heavily discounted on Black Friday/Cyber Monday? 25%, 30%, 40%?

I hear ya but...
I don’t use my tools daily so they sit a while at times. Earlier this week I needed to drill 3 3/8 holes 1.5” deep. I have DeWalt at that location so I grab the hammer drill and battery drill the first. Died on the second. SOB walk back to my house grab the other battery. It doesn’t complete the hole. DAMN back to the house, it’s about a 350-400 foot walk. Battery #3 was also garbage. Start swearing knowing I should have grabbed The Milwaukee corded hammer.
It got the job done PDQ.

I really want to pick up a Festool track saw and compound miter saw after using my brother-in-law’s while helping him redo his deck this past summer. I have Bosch stuff out the wazoo for woodworking, but would love to somehow justify switching over to Festool.

For the OP, I bought all in to the DeWalt system many moons ago. It’s been solid for my use, but if I had to go with basic home tools (impact driver, drill, etc.) I’d probably go with Milwaukee. Their stuff just seems more solid than the new DeWalt stuff.

I have the Makita track saw with 2 4’ tracks. What a great saw at less than half the cost.

Two things about buying cordless tools, especially DeWalt which has a huge market saturation: 1. They go on deep, deep sales often enough. Every few months you'll be able to pick up a tool kit for almost nothing. 2. Because of this they have high depreciation and secondary sellers can't get much for them. If your local hardware store is selling a drill for $200, and Home Depot has it for $150, you can probably get it on eBay for $90 brand new in the box.

I'd go with a new drill. I went from 18V DeWalt to 20V DeWalt and the tools are much smaller, more powerful, and the batteries last longer. You won't be able to buy new batteries alone for less than a whole tool kit costs.

For instance, this sale today at Lowes. $79 for a DeWalt 2-tool kit with two batteries and charger. The tools aren't great (not brushless) but you're basically getting free 1.5Ah batteries.

That's actually cheaper than buying one battery separately.... I think I need to stop at Lowes on my way home.

All depends on how much you are going to use them. I run Mikita 18volt system, circular saw, drill, driver, planer , recip saw, angle grinder, light, and oscillating saw have had most of it for over five years, not a single dead battery, tha yuo can buy the batteries for a hundred bucks each....or twice a year at HD and amazon they go on sale for $119.

Back
Top Bottom