• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Tool Purchase help needed...

bob6180

NES Member
Ok DIY-ers, need some feedback on a purchasing decision:

I have:

*20 year old DeWalt 18v hammer drill in great condition that has no working (NiCad) batteries

*burnt out 7yo Rigid 18v drill with 3 perfect batteries

Should I

1. Buy new 20v DeWalt drill deal and get the $25 battery adapter for the old tool?

2. Buy new Rigid drill?

3. Say f*** them both and go Milwaukee?

4. Go super dark and buy Harbor Freight Hercules line?

Looking to spend $150 ish.

Tools will be used for homeowner type stuff

new dewalt 18v batts are pretty pricey if i remember right. i have a drill laying around with shot batteries. go harbor freight or go home. lol do #3, milwaukee.

new dewalt 18v batts are pretty pricey if i remember right. i have a drill laying around with shot batteries. go harbor freight or go home. lol do #3, milwaukee.
2 18v nicad dewalt are the same price as 2 20v Li ion and the adapter- about $150

My current research is leading me to:

Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing:

Milwaukee M12 FUEL 12-Volt Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Hammer Drill & Impact Driver Combo Kit (2-Tool)W/ Free 6.0Ah Battery

I probably use my tools more than the average NES'r...I have an 18v Milwaukee Hammer drill/driver, that I use for everything. I've settled on milwaukee tools, 12 or 18v.. jabsaw, vacuum, flood light, hammer drill

You would have a hard time taking away my Makita stuff. Then I would go Milwaukee then DeWalt. I still have two DeWalt hammer drills and a driver. I just bought 2 new 18VDC batteries in Jan19 only because I don't need any more tools. I have at least 2 of everything now and I know I'm getting ready to depart this wonderful state.

I see all brands on my job sites. I run Milwaukee but the majority of the guys have DuhWalt. My plumber uses Rigid. The trim crew has Makita. I'd say whatever suits your budget and what color best matches your outfit. Makita teal can clash with some work clothes.
We almost always find HF tools to be a waste of money unless it's a job where the tool will be destroyed by the end of it.

Makita is the way to go.
I have several hammer drills, drivers, etc...
All have treated my perfectly for years.
The lithium batts are a Huuuuuuuuge improvement over nicad.
The weight difference is huge with the new lithium. Way lighter!
You’ll never look back. Buy name brand new and you’ll have no regrets.

Just picked up a Makita brushless 18v driver for my deck remodel. Lasts forever and a full charge in 25 minutes. Super light weight and a common battery for 100 different tools. Very happy..

duhwalt and millfawkee are essentially the same tools quality wise when it comes to cordless stuff. Corded I go millfawkee, cordless I have all 20v dewalt. Just buy a new set. The newer brushless stuff is no comparison to that old 18v drill.

I'm happy with the 18V Ridgid system, plus they have sales all the time. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another drill if mine failed tomorrow. With three good batteries you're more than halfway there.

All my old stuff is Makita and Milwaukee. All my newer stuff is HD Ryobi in a 5 gal bucket. I thought I would burn them out and toss for a replacement, but I haven't burnt one out yet for the past 5 years. The brushed 18V drill did not like a 7" hole saw and started to smoke, but still runs. I got a brushless backup. The individual tools are not expensive, then build the inventory of batteries. The HD once a year sale is the time to buy.

It is coming up on the right season for this. The holiday sales will be starting up

I am already in the Dewalt ecosystem, so I lean that way.

I often see Dewalt "kits' on sale for right around $200. Home Depot has a drill/driver/circular saw/2x batteries/charger for $200. $160 if you don't want the saw. Then $25 more for the 18V adapter. For $185 right now you end up with 2x 20V batteries, a non-hammer drill, an impact driver, and a working 18V hammer drill.

Or, for $150 you can get 2x 20V batteries, the charger, and the adapter, right now.

In the Dewalt ecosystem you have:

$125 - Working 20 year old hammer drill, impact driver, 1x battery, charger, and 18V adapter (DCF885C1 + DCA1820)
$150 - Working 20 year old hammer drill, 2x battery, charger, and 18V adapter (DCA2203C)
$185 - Working 20 year old hammer drill, non-hammer drill, impact driver 2x batteries, charger, and 18V adapter ( DCK240C2 + DCA1820)
$200 - All new non-hammer drill, impact driver, circular saw, 2x batteries, and charger (DCK240C2DCS391B)
$225 - Working 20 year old hammer drill, non-hammer drill, impact driver, circular saw, 2x batteries, charger, and 18V adapter (DCK240C2DCS391B + DCA1820)
$225 - Working 20 year old hammer drill, non-hammer drill, impact driver, angle grinder, 2x batteries, charger, and 18V adapter (DCK240412 + DCA1820)

I suspect that there will be better deals in the next month or so.

If you’ve ever wondered who makes your tools here’s a great link that gives the large conglomerates that make most of our tool brands these days. The reason I like Makita, and Hilti and a couple others is they’re owned by the name that they sell their tools by. Makita is owned by Makita. Hilti is owned by Hilti.

Who makes your tools

More of the same—Who makes your tools

Last edited:
my 18v Dewalts are getting a bit long in the tooth as well. i have no experience with them, but from my internet research I’m planning to try Vanon Batteries knock-offs at $40 bucks a pair vs paying new Dewalt prices for (nearly) obsolete technology, or much more for a whole new setup. My usage is “heavy homeowner use” , not tradesman use, so I’m willing to gamble that the knock offs will serve my purposes for a few more years.

Mortgaged my house for the Milwaukee Brushless 18V hammer drill.......
It grinds in high gear, I can only use low gear....
fwiw, anything can go wrong with any brand.
That said, I've switched over everything to Milwaukee because they (used to be) the best, and I'm snooty rich happy homeowner who likes nice stuff.

as to the OP's predicament: I'd go to CL for used batteries.

I have a couple DeWalt 18v saws I received for free. Bought the 20v adapter and my Li-ion batteries work very nicely in them. Still have a couple 18v batteries that work, but I mostly just use the 20v ones now since I have more of them.

My tools are all over the place, but it's nice having a plurality which use the same battery system. I've had lots of recommendations for DeWalt, Bosch, and Milwaukee. Pick what you like and stick to it.

F E S T O O L .

Only if you drive over to pick it up in your Lambo. LOL

The latest season of This Old House seems very heavily sponsored by Festool. They are using Festool items for just about everything wherever possible - even if it's just the wrong manufacturer for that specific tool. It gets funny at times. Using this mini Festool tool/shop vac on a job. $600. YIKES! Sure it's got little holes all over to put your tool exhaust into PLUS it acts like a shop vac to clean up, but you've got 3 guys and 2 of these vacs on a deck refinish. LOL.

I'll put in my 2c on this: Rigid can go suck my butthole. I hate them. Years ago I bought a screw gun. Inside of 2 years, the batteries crapped out. "Sorry, we don't warranty batteries. Tough." I tossed it and never bought another Rigid tool again. A year later they pull out this "RIGID TOOLS IS FREE BATTERIES FOR LIFE!" bullspit campaign. I see. So I wasn't the only guy you totally boned on the crappy batteries.

Reminds me of late 80's MOPAR when every Chrysler Dodge vehicle came with a warranty 2x longer than any other car. Why? I dunno, but it SEEMED like it was something that was NEEDED in a Dodge. Had they not invented the mini-van, Obama would have never had to bail them out in 09.

Back
Top Bottom