new to the forum...got a quick question

Hello everyone!
I am new to the forums and i have a quick question. Hopefully this is the right section to post in.

I live in Mansfield, MA. Tomorrow night i will be taking my rifle/pistol training class that is required to receive a FID or LTC. My question is, should I apply for a FID card for now and after a period of time apply for a LTC? My thought was that the police chief can then see that I am a responsible person and increase my chances of getting a class A LTC. Or does it not matter and just apply for the LTC class A permit right away? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

No, you certainly want to go for the LTC-A immediately. 80% of gun licenses in MA are LTC-A. You will get your LTC-A unless you have some minor disqualifying (legally or in the opinion of your CLEO) offense like DUI or some minor domestic violence incident that ended well. If you have a clean slate, you absolutely will get the LTC-A, even if you live in Boston, let alone anywhere else.

I initially got a FID because I just wanted to carry pepper spray, then a month or so later I learned I liked guns. So I applied for LTC. That actually got the police officer a bit pissed off because they hate taking time to process all the applications. He said I should have just applied for the LTC.

Welcome to the site, go for the LTC A. Unless you have a criminal past you should have no troubles obtaining it.

Go for LTC A no restrictions. You shouldn't have to prove to your police chief that you're an ok guy before you're allowed to exercise your rights as a free man.

Go for your LTC-A.

I live in Mansfield, too. My LTC-A is issued by Attleborough, but fro my research, Mansfield will issue an LTC-A "restrictions:none", but I believe you have an extra requirement of getting letters of recommendation saying you are fit to carry and handle firearms. Don't take my word though, ask the MPD what they require.

I initially got a FID because I just wanted to carry pepper spray, then a month or so later I learned I liked guns. So I applied for LTC. That actually got the police officer a bit pissed off because they hate taking time to process all the applications. He said I should have just applied for the LTC.

Poor police officer. I know I also get annoyed WHEN I HAVE TO DO MY JOB.

Maybe he should have recommended an LTC-A in the first place so he didn't have to do it over again.[rolleyes]

Ok, so last question. Should I apply for the LTC in Mansfield or is there a better town to apply for it in? Someone above mentioned Attleboro. Are they more willing to give the LTC-A license?

Ok, so last question. Should I apply for the LTC in Mansfield or is there a better town to apply for it in? Someone above mentioned Attleboro. Are they more willing to give the LTC-A license?

My permit was issued by Attleboro because that was where I legally resided when I applied for my LTC-A. I have since moved to mansfield, which, like any move within MA with an LTC or FID, requires notifying your old PD of the move, your new PD of the move and the CHSB.

You will be fine in Mansfield, nothing to worry about. Good luck! Let us know how it goes! It will also help me show my fiancee that mansfiel will giver her LTC-A no restrictions, she doesnt like to believe me very much [wink] and she refuses to apply for anything but the best [smile]

Mansfield is a good town which to apply for a LTC. You will need two letters of reference. The people are pretty decent, the lady who does the paper work is very professional and she is the COP's secretary.
So I’d suggest that you be your usual (I’m guessing here) polite and professional self.

Who are you taking your class with?

Respectfully,

jkelly

Mansfield is a good town which to apply for a LTC. You will need two letters of reference. The people are pretty decent, the lady who does the paper work is very professional and she is the COP's secretary.
So I’d suggest that you be your usual (I’m guessing here) polite and professional self.

Respectfully,

jkelly

do you need the two letters for renewals?

Respectfully,

jkelly

I took my class with Mass Firearms School. I thought it was a great class. I definitely learned a lot. I will be picking up the forms for my license tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom