• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New to site, new to IDPA, quick question.

crazyneddie said:
Hi Fellas, I had my eye doctor make the lenses, so I know they are ballistic polys. I didn't get them done from wiley.

That would make a difference. Now I understand what your were saying. Thanks for the tip off to Wiley X's "transition" lenses not working so hot.

I have blue eyes so they weren't nearly dark enough even after a braek in of a couple weeks. They have a whole bunch of tints, I'd have a hard time picking one out. But after I read up on them I guess a green or smoke would be what I would choose. The gasket in the SL-3 is magnetic & just slides on & off, which is really nice.

Are we there yet?

Just got my two new spare magazines for the SW99 compact I'll use on the 27th (where this whole thread started), so I am all set on the equipment front. Already had a used two mag carrier, ear protection, and of course the ICE glasses I just bought, so I am good to go gear-wise.

About the "barney" mag. First, why do they call it that? Second, do people wear it on their person as a third magazine at an IDPA event? Is its only purpose just to ease loading one in the pipe so you don't have to re-insert on round in the competition mag by hand?

Gotta pick up some more ammo and maybe hit the range for the first time in a while to make sure I remember how to make this thing go "bang" and to check that the new mags don't hiccup on me.

Really looking forward to meeting some of you and participating in the class.

Steve

Re: Are we there yet?

Ozman said:
About the "barney" mag. First, why do they call it that?
I believe it comes from the character of Barney Fife; Wasn't he allowed to carry only one bullet... and had to keep it in his pocket?

Ozman said:
Second, do people wear it on their person as a third magazine at an IDPA event? Is its only purpose just to ease loading one in the pipe so you don't have to re-insert on round in the competition mag by hand?
No - just put it in your pocket. and Yes, it's only purpose is to put a round up the pipe.

Ross

Re: Are we there yet?

dwarven1 said:
I believe it comes from the character of Barney Fife; Wasn't he allowed to carry only one bullet... and had to keep it in his pocket?

Ahhh. One of the greats. Bogart. Brando. Knotts.

That explanation works for me!

Thanks ross.

Steve

There was one episode where there was a report of an excaped killer in the area. Andy finally relented and let Barney put the bullet in his gun. Predictably, within about 30 seconds there was an off-camera AN/ND.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom