New to site, new to IDPA, quick question.

First, this site is great. Nice to have a northeast specific list. I just registered here, and also for the IDPA school at Riverside at the end of August. Can't stop thinking about it. I downloaded a ton of stuff from the IDPA site and have been going through it. I should have studied so hard back in school...

My question is about eye protection. I wear glasses, and have always just relied on these at the range and have never had a problem, although I have wondered in the back of my ming about brass flying in at an odd angle someday...

Do I need something more for IDPA? And, even if not, what do any other glasses wearers use for extra protection that doesn't impair field of view?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. We hope you'll come here often and share your info, ask questions and get good info from a friendly group of like-minded folks.

To answer your questions, here's my personal thoughts/experiences:

- I am far sighted and old enough that I can no longer see jack without glasses all the time. I wear progressive bifocals which I have found (thanks to an exercises in the Randy Cain course - see my comments in my review posted in Training forum) mean that I can NOT focus on the front sight unless my neck is hyper-extended . . . which means that I can't walk and see that way.

- Some other shooters suggested ESS ICE system that the US Military are using. These glasses are like the Oakley's but a lot cheaper ($37.00) and Rx inserts ($25.00) allow us to get customized Rx to suit our shooting and give excellent eye protection.

- I ordered my ESS ICE system from www.gunnersalley.com, great place to do business (2-3 day delivery). My problem is that it took a week for me to get the Rx lenses from my optician's lab and they messed up the Rx so I couldn't wear them at the Gabe Suarez course I took a week ago. I'll be picking up the (hopefully) good Rx lenses today.

With all this said, I have not shot IDPA or IPSC, but our courses were defensive handgun shot on the move. Three people were using ICE systems at the Gabe Suarez course and they liked them.

Ozman said:
I just registered here, and also for the IDPA school at Riverside at the end of August. [snip]
Do I need something more for IDPA? And, even if not, what do any other glasses wearers use for extra protection that doesn't impair field of view?

Ozman,

first off, welcome!

Second, I shoot at the Riverside IDPA matches (and in fact, am a 17 year member of Riverside). The Range Officers at Riverside and the match directors at the IDPA shoot are VERY concerned about shooters' safety, so they do require eye and ear protection on the range.

As for specifics... I remember one day many years ago noticing that the shooter in the lane next to me had a drop of blood on his nose. We realized that he got hit by a splash of lead that came back at him from the backstop 50 feet away! I've never forgone eye protection since.

I wear glasses everyday; because I prefer photograys, my everyday glasses are made of "safety" glass. the reason I put the word safety in quotes is that I once had a so-called safety glass lens shattered on my face, and owe the sight in my left eye to a VERY skilled surgeon in Pittsburgh. Safety glass CAN shatter, no matter what anyone at Eyes R Us tells you.

Anyway, what I do is have my everyday glasses and another pair made of polycarbonate. This is the ONLY material you should have in front of your eyes on the range. My everyday glasses are somewhat small (my optometrist convinced me to try them and much to my surprise I've actually gotten compliments on them!), but my shooting glasses are the "pilot" style - lots of coverage. I also have temple pieces that go onto the temples to give me side protection.

So that's what I do. The only problem with this approach is that the different index of refraction between glass and polycarbonate means that it takes me an hour or so to get used to the shooting glasses. So I put them on at least an hour before I leave for the range.

Having once come close to being called "Old One-eye", I don't like to take chances. (Hmm... does that mean I got a better deal than Odin? I didn't have to sacrifice MY eye for wisdom!)

Ross

You can get side panels for regular glasses too. Lab supply places have them, but they look rather dorky. Some kind of side protection is a very good idea. Especially if you are the Safety Officer or Scorekeeper for action shooting games. (the shooter rarely gets hit from the side with their own brass unless it bounces off something.)

However, 'wraparound' is not the only thing you need to think about. I highly recommend a hat with a brim to prevent brass from coming down the top of the glasses. This is actually a lot more likely as some of the off-camber shots can turn your ejection port to launch brass vertically instead of off to the side.

Also, be aware that open collar shirts seem to attract brass. This is especially true for the fairer gender exhibiting certain attributes. Nothing but nothing ruins concentration faster than hot brass down the shirt. (^_^) Except maybe hot brass down the shorts, but I don't even want to think about how that happened. (^_^)

Another good thing to have for action type shooting is electronic ear muffs. Being able to clearly hear the range commands and any other discussions is good. And the prices are dropping fast. Saw a nice set of Peltors for like $70 just recently and Harbor Freight still has those mono ones for $20.

But, as always, DO NOT go buying stuff until you know you like the sport or have other uses for it. Last thing I want to do is have people gear up for something and then find out it isn't for them. Been there and done that.

A ball cap is a Good Thing - I know exactly what you mean about getting brass in the face.

It's particularly good on the range at Riverside because the range is very sunny - there IS no shade on the range except back at the firing line for the 50 yard range... and as we are much closer to the backstop when shooting IDPA, you will be in the sun all day. One of those "French Foreign Legion" type hats with a neck cloth might be good if you burn easily. Or just wear sunscreen.

As for looking dorky... there aren't many people with the testicular fortitude to call someone holding a loaded gun "dorky". :) And there certainly aren't many shooters that rude... if there are any at all. I've not run into any in 24 years yet.

Ross

dwarven1 said:
A ball cap is a Good Thing - I know exactly what you mean about getting brass in the face.

You haven't lived until you get one down the front of your tank top and stuck in your bra. The guy who the casing belonged to, heard me yelp and when he saw me trying to dig it out, offered to help. I assured him I could get it. The baseball cap I was wearing didn't help. [wink]

Guys. great stuff. Thanks for the quick and very helpful responses.

Glad I asked about the eyewear. Sounds like something more than what I have is a must. ROss, I also switched to a much smaller framed set of glasses after wearing "pilot style" for years. My wife and in-laws wore me down about it, but in the end I was pretty happy with the change to a smaller frame. OF course, I don't let them know that. ;)

-Len, I'm headed down to my eyeglass place now with a printout from Gunner's Alley to ask if they can make me inserts for the ICE frames. Thanks for the tip. Never saw those before. Looks like the perfect thing for this.

I do tend to wear a ballcap when shooting, although when out in the sun all day I usually wear a wider brimmed Columbia floppy hat to keep the sun off my neck.

Chris, I didn't know electronic ear muffs could be had so cheap, but you're right, I'll hold off for now and see how things go with my regular range set. I need to pick up a couple of extra mags for the gun I plan on using at Riverside (SW99 compact in .40) so the less I spend now means more ammo for later!

Thanks again guys.

Steve

dwarven1 said:
As for looking dorky... there aren't many people with the testicular fortitude to call someone holding a loaded gun "dorky". :) And there certainly aren't many shooters that rude... if there are any at all. I've not run into any in 24 years yet.Ross

(^_^)

Yep, that's the best part about the shooting sports. The Yahoos and those with personality issues seem to find the company of decent folk troubling.

Come to think of it, you don't see many in politics on the range either. Always exceptions, but we may be onto something here... (^_^)

Lynne said:
dwarven1 said:

You haven't lived until you get one down the front of your tank top and stuck in your bra. The guy who the casing belonged to, heard me yelp and when he saw me trying to dig it out, offered to help. I assured him I could get it. The baseball cap I was wearing didn't help. [wink]

Lynne, NEVER stand to the right of me while I'm shooting, unless you're well covered up. Several of my guns tend to spray brass, one of them is known to launch the brass up to 50 feet.

Lynne said:
You haven't lived until you get one down the front of your tank top and stuck in your bra.

I'm going to get into so much trouble for this, but I just can't resist any more...

Uh... Lynne, I try to avoid getting spent brass stuck in my bra. So I don't wear one at the range. [twisted] Heck, I won't even wear panties at the range! [twisted] Or a skirt... I only wear a kilt at the archery range. [twisted] [twisted] [twisted]

Ross

Nickle said:
I almost spewed half chewed Doritos on the computer screen when I read that last post, Ross.

DAMMIT!!

"Almost" only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades and atomic bombs. I'll have to try harder.

Just call me Avis. :)

Ross

dwarven1 said:
Lynne said:
You haven't lived until you get one down the front of your tank top and stuck in your bra.

I'm going to get into so much trouble for this, but I just can't resist any more...

Uh... Lynne, I try to avoid getting spent brass stuck in my bra. So I don't wear one at the range. [twisted] Heck, I won't even wear panties at the range! [twisted] Or a skirt... I only wear a kilt at the archery range. [twisted] [twisted] [twisted]

Ross

I'm glad to hear that Ross luv - I wouldn't want anything to get stuck anywhere to burn you. [lol] By the way, nothing is worn under a kilt - everything works just fine. That's what hubby tells me, and he's right. [lol] [lol] [lol]

I drive people NUTS when I use cutting torches, and refuse to wear gloves. I found that you CAN'T get the gloves off fast enough when hot slag gets in them, so second and third degree burns. And if you aren't wearing gloves, you get first degree burns, second IF the slag manages to stick, but then, you can easily knock it off your skin.

"Sunburn" or Third Degree burns, which do you want?

About flying brass, I recommend wearing a t-shirt, NOT tucked in, but fairly snug around the neck. Hard for brass to get in, easy for you to get it OUT.

Went to my compulsory Utah CCW training yesterday, and had something odd happen.

Mu 1911A1 ejected a case that went right between my glasses and my face. Needless to say, I couldn't get the case out fast enough. Fortunately, all I got was a burnt and bleeding cheek. Man, that hurt for a couple minutes. My instructor found out I don't violate gun safety, no matter what.

Nickle,

I've had that happen on the line, but not with my own gun. Are you a lefty?

Take a look at ESS ICE glasses system (Rx inserts available) at www.gunnersalley.com (great place to do business). These wrap-around glasses hopefully will prevent this sort of problem. Same system that US and Brit troops are using in the sandbox.

Nope, right handed. Essex Frame, Colt Military 1911A1NM slide. 185 JHP loads, max, but not overloads. It was apparently a freak thing, since I don't remember ever getting close to my face before.

I appreciate the tip on the glasses. but, I've already got a couple pair of Wiley-X's, just need to get the Rx inserts if I want to use them.

ESS ICE glasses are good but not good enough for me.

I have been wearing Wiley X's exclusively through a yearlong tour in Iraq and now on a second tour in Kuwait. After the shrpanel and brass and many other things that I have seen other soldiers and myself get hit with in the face. I can say that ONLY the Wiey X's series of glasses stop as much as they advertise they can.
And in the case of Wiley X model SG-1, they canstop far greater projecties then the low velocity 22cal they say they are rated for.

please take it from a combat vet, do not trust your perscription needing eyes to any other brand of glasses

Nickle said:
The prescription lenses for the Wiley X's aren't the same Ballistic Lenses. The glasses are good, though.

Do they work like the ICE system?

ICE puts the Rx lenses behind their clear/amber/smoke ballistic lenses. Thus your Rx lenses don't need to be bullet-proof.

Or do the Wiley X's SUBSTITUTE the Rx lenses for their clear/amber/smoke ballistic lenses? If that were the case, it should be damn expensive as you'd need literally 3 sets of Rx lenses!

Tank,

When you get the time to reply, I'd like to better understand your opinion of Wiley X vs. ESS ICE systems for non-combatants (e.g. range use where the targets aren't engaging us).

What makes a good defensive tool in a war may well be not as important in a sporting situation.

Thanks for serving (again) and thanks for any insight (no pun intended) that you can give us on glasses for range work.

Guy:

I just got my ESS stuff and since shooting glasses have become a big subtopic in this thread, I'm going to start a new thread over in "Equipment and Ammo".

Steve

Len, here's some info: And I'm sure they're substitute lenses.

http://www.wileyx.com/prescriptionFaq.php

Q: Can I get a bifocal prescription for my Wiley X sunglasses?
A: NO BI-FOCAL PRESCRIPTIONS ACCEPTED. SINGLE VISION ONLY.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Which Wiley X models accept prescription lenses?
A: 50°, 100°, 480°, G-Line, JP-1, JP-2, JP-3, P-17, P-23, P-38, P-44, Romer II, SG-1, XL-1, XL-1 Flame, XL-3 Matte Black Metal & XL-3 Brushed Gun Metal.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: What type of prescription lenses does Wiley X offer?
A: LA™ (Light Adjusting) / Transitional, Polarized, Mirrored and Non-Polarized.
Q: What material are Wiley X prescription lenses make out of?
A: The prescription lenses in your Wiley X are made of polycarbonate material. Polycarbonate is the safest most impact resistant prescription lens available. It will be fabricated to exacting standards, and while not a Z87.1 safety lens, it will meet and exceed the drop-ball testing standard for such a lens. Dealers in the state of New Jersey should especially take note of this.
Q: Will my Wiley X sunglasses still be interchangeable with prescription lenses?
A: Only the SG-1 & G-Line are interchangeable with prescription lenses. The JP-1, Romer II, XL-1 and XL-1 Flame can only hold one set of prescription lenses in each frame--the lab has to glue the prescription lenses in. The JP-1, Romer II, XL-1 & XL-1 Flame will not come with the additional lenses that would ordinarily come with the non-prescription package.
Q: Can Wiley X prescript non Wiley X sunglasses?
A: No. Nice try.

http://www.wileyx.com/sg1.php

crazyneddie, I think you'll find that the prescription lenses aren't ballistic lenses. Doesn't make much difference to a shooter, but makes a BIG difference to the troops.

Nickle,

From what I can glean, you get "one color" per set of glasses. This would mean two complete setups for daytime and night/indoor shooting. Ouch!

That alone would tilt me towards the ESS/ICE system. One Rx (those lenses sit behind the standard ICE interchangeable lenses. Here's some +/- to consider:

- Gives you more eye protection with 2 sets of lenses than one.
- Allows you one setup with 3 interchangeable "filters" for indoor/outdoor/etc. shooting.
- Might be heavier for a given Rx than two sets of lenses?
- WileyX may be easier to see thru with the two sets of lenses (haven't had opportunity to shoot with my ESS system since I got the right Rx installed)?
- Dual lenses DO FOG up in high humidity. Comes with anti-fog cloth, don't know if this solves problem or not.
- If ESS lenses get scratched up with flying brass (which damaged the anti-glare coating on my regular Rx lenses during one of the classes), replacement ESS lenses are trivially cheap . . . unlike replace/repair of Rx lenses!

The jury is out here for shooting glasses (as opposed to glasses for troops at war).

I would lean to the ESS's for "shooting glasses". and Wiley X's (with clear [$100] or transitional [$210]) for "tactical work".

The ESS's come up short for some coverage, where the Wiley X's excel.

THe ESS still use the original lenses, and will give the same or better protection than without prescription. The prescription inserts for the Wiley X's aren't made from the same material as the non-prescription. I have looked into it, since I have a couple pair of Wiley X's.

Now, if there's no prescription involved, I'd go with the Wiley X's.

Hi Fellas, I had my eye doctor make the lenses, so I know they are ballistic polys. I didn't get them done from wiley. I just ordered those with regular LA lenses, but I needed the RX so I had them done. They were about 200 for the lenses, and he had a hard time due to the deep curve, but they came out great.
Also, the Transitions from Wiley didn't get nearly dark enough for me to use in the sun. But the ones from the doc broke in nice and get pretty dark, but also go all the way back to clear

Back
Top Bottom