• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New to New England, Interested in Gunsmithing

I live in Worcester Massachusetts, just moved up from New Jersey a month ago. I'm very interested in learning Gunsmithing, but I've never known anyone in the trade so I don't really know where to go/what to do. The only person I know up here is my Roommate. Any information would be great.

I also don't have a firearm license yet, I'm going to be working on that within a month or two. Any advice on that as well would be appreciated.

just currious, where from the 'armpit of the world' (aka NJ) are you from? I grew up in the southern end near cherry hill, and AC, and conshocken...

You will need an FID or LTC to posess firearms.

You will need a State Gunsmith's License to be a "real" gunsmith.

You will most likely need an FFL, and a State Firearms Dealer's License, as well. The State license if the tough one, as there are specific zoning and such laws and local ordinances to deal with.

If you plan on selling ammo, you'll need a State ammo delaer's license.

Simple, right?

good luck.

You will need an FID or LTC to posess firearms.

You will need a State Gunsmith's License to be a "real" gunsmith.

You will most likely need an FFL, and a State Firearms Dealer's License, as well. The State license if the tough one, as there are specific zoning and such laws and local ordinances to deal with.

If you plan on selling ammo, you'll need a State ammo delaer's license.

Simple, right?

good luck.
move to nh as soon as possible

Two options I would suggest:

Gunsmithing school - 2 year associate degree
Machinist school - 2 year associate degree

I think the machinist track is a little more reasonable for most people and you can actually get a job when you graduate.

B

I think the machinist track is a little more reasonable for most people and you can actually get a job when you graduate.

B

I know I'm not in this, but I have to ask because I've though about this before.

What's the difference between gunsmith and machinist? Does one have a better line of thought? For instance, if you become a machinist do you have to go back and look into how guns work, etc?

Related to this.... do you have recommendations on machinist schools in the western part of the state?

B

Just look at all the community colleges. A solid foundation in manual machining is a good stepping stone to real gunsmithing (not just parts swapping).

B

I know I'm not in this, but I have to ask because I've though about this before.

What's the difference between gunsmith and machinist? Does one have a better line of thought? For instance, if you become a machinist do you have to go back and look into how guns work, etc?

I am neither, and. I don't play one on TV

That being said, a machinist is able to operate various machines, to perform a variety of operations to fabricate or modify metal, to a specified design.

A gunsmith works on firearms, to repair and/or modify them.

There is a great deal of overlap, but I'd not take a firearm to a general-purpose machinist for repair. It's a specialzed field.

Also, most "general" gunsmiths can handle woodwork (wood to metal fit, and refinishing), and have the specialzed tools required for headspacing, and that sort of thing.

Additionally, in Mass at least, you neeed a license to be a gunsmith, and since a gunsmith will take a customer's firearm into their custody for a period of time, I'd say that an FFL is more or less a job requirement.

go to college if you want to run a machine shop and know if your workers are screwing you over...I don't know many people in trades that went to college to learn it. Most learn on the job, and the best ones I know did or took shop classes.

Easy way to learn the trade, find your local trade high school . Take the night courses . My old school charges I think 250-400$ for courses. Or just get a job in the trade.

As a Machinest and learning to do gun work for my self .i know I can do gun smithing when it comes to using a knee mill(bridge port) lathe etc. no real different from what i do every day.
If I had a blue print I could make a billet AR lower from a block of metal or bend and cut a akZ

The part of gun smithing you need to learn coming from machinist back ground is fitting , how guns work etc.

I had this same question about a year ago. Since then, I got into machining, and am finishing machine shop school in January. My instructor is hiring me directly out of school. Once I build a steady machinist background I hope to get into gunsmithing. I also want to get a mechanical engineering degree and be involved in design/production of firearms. i can dream, right? Anyways, I don't wanna work on guns until I know machining AND firearms specifically, really REALLY well.. i feel like that's the difference between a firearm and a pipe bomb.

But, first hand, going to machine shop school is the best decision i ever made. I discovered a passion and mechanical aptitude i had no idea I had and its changing my life significantly. If nothing else, you have a marketable skill that is becoming more in-demand.

anyways, yea. can't recommend getting into machining enough. good luck.

I didn't mean to knock going to school btw.
I went for welding but when it came to working in a shop it was like going back to school.

I run a machine shop at my work and the only Machinest . I got my best friend hired to work under me . She went to school for machining. She could tell me the best speeds or bit type to use. But would have to have me explain what ops to do in what order.

Back
Top Bottom