• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New to NES, New LTC holder looking for recommendations

What's wrong with competing with a 10/22, an 870, and whatever pistol does the minimum, unless there is some rule against it? Person A's fancy dancy setup might not work for you. Person A's pistol might fit you. Person B's shotgun. Person C's rifle might be what you need. It's not like you're going to win the first time you show up. Watch an event or two. Participate in one when you are comfortable. I've never been told 'no' when I asked (politely) to touch something.

Get some training, hands on training, not internet 'self help' crap. If you are willing to dump a couple grand on guns, a couple training sessions should be no big deal. The biggest deal is to not learn bad habits, they are way harder to get rid of once they are ingrained.

Rules. There's no 3gun category for .22.

Rules. There's no 3gun category for .22.

Fine, fine. Bring up these 'rules'. My point is, there's no way to know what gun combo is going to work best for any individual. Why spend big bucks when you can sell for close to what you pay for it. I plan to shoot 3 gun in the future, I'm going to get the combo one piece at a time, although it may cost more than a dime, and play with what works for me. A light trigger that works for me, may cause you to set off the round too soon for your presentation. The basic gun is what it is, assuming AR platform The trigger, optics/sights, and ergonomic tweaks are what's going to make the gun fit 'you'.

Great tips, thank you. Had been researching some dry firing techniques, but really like that revolver training idea. Sig was teaching a technique where you chamber 1 and remove mag, live fire, then dry fire and do it over and over. Now I need I revolver too. I'm definately getting divorced soon.
Congratulations on your new LTC!! Do you find that technique worked for you? I am pretty sure that I have a flinch at times. Seeing that you are in the tygnsboro area, I'd be happy to take you to Harvard Sportsman club when it opens back up as my guest when our schedules allow it.

Get a larger safe than you will ever possibly need. Just sayin.
This x 100 A gun collection always grows no matter what your current plans are. Getting a safe in to the house can be a pain in the ass depending on where it is going. Always get something that is larger than you think you need.

Fine, fine. Bring up these 'rules'. My point is, there's no way to know what gun combo is going to work best for any individual. Why spend big bucks when you can sell for close to what you pay for it. I plan to shoot 3 gun in the future, I'm going to get the combo one piece at a time, although it may cost more than a dime, and play with what works for me. A light trigger that works for me, may cause you to set off the round too soon for your presentation. The basic gun is what it is, assuming AR platform The trigger, optics/sights, and ergonomic tweaks are what's going to make the gun fit 'you'.

You're absolutely correct about knowing what combo is going to work best for any individual. Personally I'd go borrow people's guns until I found the ones I liked.

I have a Mossberg 500 pump action. That's what I used for my first couple of 3gun matches. I looked at what other shooters were running for shotguns, fired a couple of them, and really liked the 930 that Jimmy was running. So I bought one.

10/22's are AWESOME rifles; I have two of them. But they're no good for 3Gun, because "rules".

This x 100 A gun collection always grows no matter what your current plans are. Getting a safe in to the house can be a pain in the ass depending on where it is going. Always get something that is larger than you think you need.
Hate to send this thread in another direction, I haven't done much research on larger safes. I currently have a Lock'er Down console safe in my truck and was looking at something like a Stopbox in my nightstand (only using that as an example because it pops up on my Facebook page about 25 times a day), then something larger in my garage, where I will set up a workbench to take down, clean, and an area to dry fire. What is a good affordable larger safe to look at? Stimulus check is going to go fast, LOL.

Welcome OP, I hope you have deep pockets because by signing up here, you just took your first steps down the rabbit hole. Lot's of new members get butthurt easily because of the good natured ribbing.
Kudos to you for signing on with the suit against the Commonwealth, I saw that they were looking for someone who was licensed but didn't own any firearms, good luck and keep us posted on how it goes. I'm sure you will be permanently banned from Cambridge after this is done.

Welcome OP, I hope you have deep pockets because by signing up here, you just took your first steps down the rabbit hole. Lot's of new members get butthurt easily because of the good natured ribbing.
Kudos to you for signing on with the suit against the Commonwealth, I saw that they were looking for someone who was licensed but didn't own any firearms, good luck and keep us posted on how it goes. I'm sure you will be permanently banned from Cambridge after this is done.
I can take, and give a good jabbing, not worried about that. I'm a noobie and expecting it. Can't stand going into the city anyway. Trying to get deeper and deeper into the stix.

I can take, and give a good jabbing, not worried about that. I'm a noobie and expecting it. Can't stand going into the city anyway. Trying to get deeper and deeper into the stix.
Lots of great information here and you will find out that most answers to your questions can be found using the search function.

Hate to send this thread in another direction, I haven't done much research on larger safes. I currently have a Lock'er Down console safe in my truck and was looking at something like a Stopbox in my nightstand (only using that as an example because it pops up on my Facebook page about 25 times a day), then something larger in my garage, where I will set up a workbench to take down, clean, and an area to dry fire. What is a good affordable larger safe to look at? Stimulus check is going to go fast, LOL.

Check out Zanotti Armor - they make modular safes that’s can be taken down and moved in pieces. I have one, just wish I had gone up a size or two. Like anything else, modular safes have pros and cons. Let me know if you have any questions.

Yes, there are rules. If you're a new shooter, talk to whomever is running it: "Gee, I'd like to try three-gun , but I only have a 10-22 for a rifle. You'll most likely be offered the use of an acceptable gun, or be given a pass, because you're new. Of course, if you win with a .22, that's another story. [shocked][laugh]

Looking at it from a Trap point of view, I'd rather have a new shooter come out with NO gun, and try on a few that people have and are willing to share, rather than get a gun that does not fit, and won't work well. I'm sure that most 3-gun event runners would do the same.

Yes, there are rules. If you're a new shooter, talk to whomever is running it: "Gee, I'd like to try three-gun , but I only have a 10-22 for a rifle. You'll most likely be offered the use of an acceptable gun, or be given a pass, because you're new. Of course, if you win with a .22, that's another story. [shocked][laugh]

Looking at it from a Trap point of view, I'd rather have a new shooter come out with NO gun, and try on a few that people have and are willing to share, rather than get a gun that does not fit, and won't work well. I'm sure that most 3-gun event runners would do the same.

You did read the rest of my post, because I covered that as well.

The three starter guns for 3-gun would be a basic AR15 in .223 with a low-power variable optic, aka a scope, such as a Vortex 1-6, a Mossberg 930 JM Pro, and a Glock 17 or 19. These three allow a newb the most modularity and value for money and provide room to grow as a competitor with parts changes either made along the way or once a season is over.

The AR dominates 3-gun to the point where any other rifle is at a severe handicap. Most clubs or national organizations write the safety rules around the idea of the AR being the standard competitor's gun. So, something like an AK where you can't both show clear and have the safety on would be less than ideal. Anything with rock and lock mags is at a massive disadvantage, even if the shooter trains to become proficient with using rock and locks, simply because of the time.

Glocks are similarly highly modular. MOS slides, aftermarket triggers, plenty of sight options that a shooter can change themselves, plenty of mag options (for people outside ban states). Most people also gravitate for Glocks for their first concealed carry and home defense guns, so, competing with a Glock would be familiar.

The 930 JM Pro is like the base line for being a 3-gun competitor. You can try to run a pump. I tried it and traded the pump for a JM Pro, which hasn't had a single malfunction yet (yes, all firearms eventually malfunction with enough use). The JM Pro is very simple to maintain and take apart. Jerry Miculek has step-by-step, highly detailed videos on how to maintain, disassemble, assemble, and clean the 930. I bought mine for $400 and I got my money's worth for my first year of competition last year. I'm going to continue to use the JM Pro this year, if we even have a season, and into next year before I eventually upgrade to an AK shotgun.

Alternatively, rather than the JM Pro, the RIA VR80 would be great. But for a Mass gun owner, this would be problematic because a Mass gun owner couldn't use the VR80's party trick, which is the ten and nineteen round mags. With a 19, a VR80 shooter can pre-stage with one mag and in some cases shoot an entire stage with no reload.

Other guns can work but are really ersatz substitutes. Objectively, the AR, Glock, and JM Pro (or VR80) are the best intro-to-3-gun guns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally! Chris at Precision Point not only gave me 1st appointment at noon today, but also waived my transfer fee. What a country. Got 200 rounds in her earlier and couldn't be happier.
Awesome!!! We will have to hit up Harvard Sportsman's club and bang some steel plates!! As soon as guests are allowed of course....
Also, great review of Precision Point!

Back
Top Bottom