• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New to me Yugo SKS

bdb

NES Member
I picked up my Yugo SKS yesterday. It’s my first SKS and it looks to be in pretty nice shape. It also came with some accessories including what appears to be the original issue log book. The serial in the log matches the rifle and the only thing on the rifle that appears not to match is the trigger guard.

I have never picked up a rifle this caked in cosmo either, it’s going to be quite a cleaning job!

Anyway, since my Russian is a little weak (non existent), I was hoping someone could look at the pics of the log entries and give me the basics of what is in them, just to satisfy my own curiosity. I am a little confused on the page that seems to show caliber (Kalibar on the column) as 7.62, 7.62, 7.63, and what looks like 303 and I can’t make out the last entry. Any insight would be great. The last page appears to show bullet strike locations on a 4 shot 100 meter group.

I am looking forward to getting it cleaned up and to the range as I have never fired as SKS before!!
sks1_zpsxoi5ddqi.jpg

sks-log3_zpsxkxqda66.jpg

sks-log4_zpsdwoma9e6.jpg

sks-log5_zpsaxitrp4d.jpg

sks-log6_zpsbxy3udrr.jpg

sks-log7_zps8m7sdnve.jpg

sks-log8_zpsoqbbtc7h.jpg

sks-log9_zpsxtoypvke.jpg

sks-log2_zps3kg4wpht.jpg

"Anyway, since my Russian is a little weak (non existent), I was hoping someone could look at the pics of the log entries and give me the basics of what is in them,"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwnksI2ZoJI

Anyway, nice find...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwnksI2ZoJI

Anyway, nice find...

I suppose I should have clarified and said "if one of you that speaks Russian could give me the basics of whats in them". But even then it appears after a quick google search it is probably Serbo-Croatian and not Russian anyway. Basically I have no damn clue what language this log book is in [smile]

I suppose I should have clarified and said "if one of you that speaks Russian could give me the basics of whats in them". But even then it appears after a quick google search it is probably Serbo-Croatian and not Russian anyway. Basically I have no damn clue what language this log book is in [smile]

Nope..you did fine....I was just being a wise guy. Really nice purchase though. Couldn't resist posting that....lol

Nice find with the documentation.
Enjoy it. ..
YouTube has some very helpful info.
3 things.
Clean the bolt carrier so yiu can hear the pin rattle when yiu shake it.
Clean out the gas piston. ..or it won't cycle. Particularly when it's freezing :)
Know where the gas valve position needs to be for operation.

Great find. You'll enjoy it.

Some of these have flip-up night sights. I owned mine for a year without even noticing I had them.

Awesome gun either way. Congrats.

The log book is cool. The sight in target is cool also. My yugo had a simular zero target.
Club member who claims to speak Russian and other languages of the area says the same thing almost every time. Rifle good, shoot ,enjoy.
If that's a 100m target representation you have a decent shooting sks. I assume the small squares are 25mm increments or about a 1". Pretty sure your sks would pass the military standard test?

Is this one of the ones from The Armory?

Some of these have flip-up night sights. I owned mine for a year without even noticing I had them.

Flip up NIGHT sights in fact! I didn't notice mine for a few weeks either lol.

Clean it well,
take to range,
remember meters yards,
find sighting info.
Write your own log.
Should be a smooth shooter.

There's page after page of info on cosmolene removal and overall SKS info in the stickies at the top of this page. I suggest anyone buying a new Yugo 59/66 read through them.

I am fine on the cosmo removal, have done it on a few mosins. It's a PITA but I know how to do it so that shouldnt be an issue. YouTube should teach me how to completely disassemble and reassemble, it has for every other firearm I haven't known how to do :). If it prints like the log book shows at 100 meters it will certainly outshoot me and my eyes these days so that isn't a concern. I guess I need some stripper clips and a little time for the cosmo. I'll figure out some of the details on the log book one of these days, for now it's packed away with everything else in a "mil-surp" tub on the shelf.

Back
Top Bottom