• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New to me Mosins

bdb

NES Member
I bought 3 of the 91/30s online that were for sale a couple of weeks back. These were B grade and they didn't really talk them up much so I wasn't expecting a lot. But hey for $99 each what the hell.

i picked them up tonight and unwrapped my new presents. To my surprise all 3 are hex receiver, all matching numbers, bright clean bores with deep rifling. Even the stocks look pretty nice and clean, very few scars. I was very happy with what I got for sure.

1925 Izzy, 1930 Izzy, 1934 Tula.

Horrible picture but it is late and dark in the basement. Anyway thought I would share and thought I made out pretty well on a bit of a gamble. The 4th one on the bottom is a 1944 Izzy (my first 91/30)

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
nice, i wish i got that price. sad to say i paid alittle bit more.
i just ordered two.

but ones a birthday present so timing was a factor.

makes me wanna buy another Mosin. i have four already though :)
can't have too many Mosins, right?

one thing i worry about every time i pull a trgger on the purchase or on the range is what these rifles going to be worth when cheap surplus x54r surplus get's banned by BATFE or vanishes. surplus ammo usually never endless and tends to run out at some point, like it happened with 7.62x25, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, 8mm, 30-06 etc....

currently there are millions of these in the US, these became pretty much part of American gun-culture in recent years, almost as 10/22 if not bigger. so hopefully this fact alone won't cause them to drop-off the face of earth and become completely devalued, but i feel like when no more surplus ammo is imported and we have to pay a dollar or even more per round like we do for 30-06 or 8mm popularity of these are going to plummet, and we might see a lot of them selling for much less they were originally gotten for.

please tell me i'm over-reacting and everything is going to be a ok.

Last edited:
makes me wanna buy another Mosin. i have four already though :)
can't have too many Mosins, right?

one thing i worry about every time i pull a trgger on the purchase or on the range is what these rifles going to be worth when cheap surplus x54r surplus get's banned by BATFE or vanishes. surplus ammo usually never endless and tends to run out at some point, like it happened with 7.62x25, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, 8mm, 30-06 etc....

currently there are millions of these in the US, these became pretty much part of American gun-culture in recent years, almost as 10/22 if not bigger. so hopefully this fact alone won't cause them to drop-off the face of earth and become completely devalued, but i feel like when no more surplus ammo is imported and we have to pay a dollar or even more per round like we do for 30-06 or 8mm popularity of these are going to plummet, and we might see a lot of them selling for much less they were originally gotten for.

please tell me i'm over-reacting and everything is going to be a ok.

Total buzz kill dude.......thanks for bringing me down on a Friday.

"please tell me i'm over-reacting and everything is going to be a ok."

YOUR over-reacting and everything is going to be a ok.!!!

There has never been any talk about banning the importation of the mosin round,

If your worried about cheap ammo drying up, buy a couple of cases and your good for life!

Every surplus gun.. Enfields, M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, Lugers, P38;s, etc all had their time in the sun as cheap to buy guns with unlimited supplies of surplus ammo available..

With the million imported, surplus ammo made by other countries, and the ammo manufacturers aware of the number of owners...production and availability of the ammo will never stop.

Enjoy the cheap ride as long as it goes and don't worry about it ending.

p.s.. I caution you that there will come a day some time in the future where you will tell someone.... "gee back 2014 I could buy Mosins all day for under $200! I wish I could go back in time and buy a bunch more, I'd be rich now!

54r is not going away, it's a staple Commie round for MGs, sniper rifles etc.

One thing I'd encourage is slugging the bore and shooting non-corrosive reloads to match your bore.

54r is not going away, it's a staple Commie round for MGs, sniper rifles etc.

One thing I'd encourage is slugging the bore and shooting non-corrosive reloads to match your bore.

Boris what is "slugging the bore"

pushing a lead ball/ slug through then measuring the diameter. A lot of bores are slightly bigger than your 7.62 Euro caliber and makes your surplus shoot fine, but not very accurate. Some use Brit 303 bullets depending on their bore dia, but thins like that can dramatically improve your accuracy.

pushing a lead ball/ slug through then measuring the diameter. A lot of bores are slightly bigger than your 7.62 Euro caliber and makes your surplus shoot fine, but not very accurate. Some use Brit 303 bullets depending on their bore dia, but thins like that can dramatically improve your accuracy.

OK thanks. Makes sense if you are trying to squeeze the best accuracy out of it. My mosins are primarily used for range fun and maybe to take a deer with someday in northern NH.......so minute of 2 liter soda bottle I get out of the surplus is good.....and boy oh boy does a 7.62X54R blow the hell out of a soda bottle at 100 yards!! [smile]

Last edited:
OK thanks. Makes sense if you are trying to squeeze the best accuracy out of it. My mosins are primarily used for range fun and maybe to take a deer with someday in northern NH.......so minute of 2 liter soda bottle I get out of the surplus is good.....and boy oh boy does a 7.62X54R blow the hell out of a soda bottle at 100 yards!! [smile]

during WWII there was no special sniper ammo provided, so all sniper rifles were evaluated for two main things, straightness of the bore and how close it was to the standard caliber, i.e. making it the best candidate to achieve best accuracy with factory ammo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErFaJlUVs1Y here's a little demo.
If you really want to secure a cheap supply of 54r scounge as much brass as you can. Stock up on primers and powder then cast your own lead bullets.
I reload using hornady 312" and cast a 314" bullet. I use varget for the jacketed ammo and either 2400 or trail boss for the cast. Both shoot so much better than the surplus.
I traded some free brass for some 54r boxer primed brass
Fmj loads run me about 37 cents ea.
Cast loads run me about 12 cents ea.

Last edited:
Yeah I don't think x54r ammo is going away anytime soon. All the shops in NH are loaded with spam cans.

4 Mosins is far too many for one person. Who needs that many guns? I better take one or more off your hands.

Yeah I don't think x54r ammo is going away anytime soon. All the shops in NH are loaded with spam cans.
its pretty sad that someone from mass points this out and also sad that when I see it in mass shops its 160$ 440rnds

Only thing that could really suck is if congress bans all import of ammunition or pull some BS like no military cals?

that's what people said about 5.45 untill BATFE found some obscure pistol AK that was never imported and banned 5.45 on that pretense.
they however say 'Russian 5.45' they say nothing about Ukrainian 5.45 so i hope this comes to importers attention sooner or later - Ukraine has a ton of that stuff to sell as well.

as for x54r being a staple of russian MG/sniper round - i have bad news for you.
russia have been for several years experimenting/developing 2 different new types of rounds/specs (for pistol and rifle). it's shrouded in secrecy as of now. but analysts think it's a long-coming replacement for somewhat under-powered and hastily accepted to service 9x19. by russian standards it's considered not strictly a pistol round but also calls to fit sub-MG round niche. and for that they wanted somewhat more stout variation of it. they experimented with it and came up with 9x21 Gyurza in the 90s that was supposed to became standard sub-mg/handgun round (russians foreseen widespread adoption of body armor and wanted to already have measures to defeat it). However 90s weren't good times financially and cartridge didn't really went into wide use and remained spec-ops only with few guns mass produced that chambered it. but they have not abandoned the idea of eventual coming up with a superior (to NATO) pistol/sub-mg round.

as for their new experimental cartridge for rifles it's believed to be an "inter-intermediate" sized round that will be somewhere in the middle between full power battle rifle and intermediate assault rifle round. something similar to what chinese did in late 80s adopting their 5.8x42. it will probably will have 'lower impulse' variation with lighter bullet for assault rifles, heavy bullet variation for sniper and MGs

this might take them another 6-7 or even 10 years but it appears that's where 'market' is heading and not only in russian - here too. look at recent developments: 6.5grendel, 6.7spc, 6.5x47, 6.5x40

also want to mention that there were several attempts to develop a 'universal' MG gun to replace aging Kalashnikovs MGs and bring the levels of know-how from last century in foot with 21st century.

this fairly recent acceptance of 'universal' MG doctrine adopted by russians kind of indirectly confirms theory of them going towards 'universal' round. and if you look at seemingly unrelated gun and ammo developments there you can't help but draw this same conclusion and wonder if we soon going to see some round with caliber ranging .25-.28 and having power factor somewhere between 7.62x39 and light 7.62x54r.

that's what people said about 5.45 untill BATFE found some obscure pistol AK that was never imported and banned 5.45 on that pretense.
they however say 'Russian 5.45' they say nothing about Ukrainian 5.45 so i hope this comes to importers attention sooner or later - Ukraine has a ton of that stuff to sell as well.

The only 5.45x39 that is banned is steel core surplus.

Back
Top Bottom