New to MA; LTC or FID?

Not much choice. Been with the company 20 years. Excellent benefit package. I will be 55 soon and we have a 10 year plan to retirement. I am too old to apply to another company in my field (computers). HR wants their new hires to be young flowers, not old prunes, if you get my drift. We bought a new-construction three bedroom and two bathroom townhome in Vero Beach, Florida, in November 2019 to use as a vacation home and an eventual retirement home. Already have signed ed P&S on our NC home. The home in Woburn is a two bedroom and two bath townhome. Won't be forever. I will ask the FFL dealer and his wife in NC that we did a lot of business with for reference letters on their business letterhead. So we all have to be honest, but there is no realistic way that he can vouch for my mental stability or good character or that of my wife. He is not a shrink. Only a board- certified psychiatrist can make such assessments. I dont think the Woburn police chief has any idea of what he is really asking for and who is actually qualified to provide it. Worst case scenario is that my wife and I get force-fed FID cards, right. By FID standards, our two pump action shotgun and three bolt-action rifles seem to be OK.

I've written several letters for LTC applications (though admittedly not for Woburn), and have just said,

I have known Paul Kersey for [insert time here] and have always found him to be reasonable and reliable.

If you have any questions, please contact me.

PD is not looking for psychiatric evaluations, or Letters Patent. In my experience, they are looking to see if someone is unpleasant enough that they can't get two people to say, "This guy is not an a-hole."

It's ageist, but you're not a young punk, an that may play in your favor.

This is why I have both FID and LTC. Chief can suspend my LTC for habitual nose picking and come seize all my large capacity firearms. Since I have an FID card, he can't take the FID or anything not large capacity without going to court.
Not to argue with the opinion on a point of law with someone that has J.D. after their name, but I was under the impression that were an LTC to be pulled, John Law would show up and grab your stuff, FID be damned?

I maintained both for until recently, when it seemed that there was no potential tactical benefit.

Not to argue with the opinion on a point of law with someone that has J.D. after their name, but I was under the impression that were an LTC to be pulled, John Law would show up and grab your stuff, FID be damned?

I maintained both for until recently, when it seemed that there was no potential tactical benefit.
John Law will probably show up and demand the surrender. I'll refuse and point them to Chapter 140, Section 129D, starting with the word "if", at which point they'll break down my door, take my guns, shoot my dog, upper deck me, throw my keys on the roof, and cuff and stuff me.

"Section 129D. Upon revocation, suspension or denial of an application for a firearm identification card pursuant to section 129B or for any firearms license if the firearm identification card is not then in force or for any machine gun license"

Just got transferred by my company to its facility in MA. Wife and I are not looking forward to another move, but I have too many years with this company and am too old (mid 50s) to get a other job in high tech. As for guns, we have pair of Remington 870s, both 12 gauge with vent rib and rifle-sight deer barrels. They serve double duty for skeet, trap, sporting clays and home defense. We have 3 Savage bolt action rifles in. 22 rimfire and .223 for target shooting. OK, so which license is the least amount of trouble to get? Thanks in advance!
same amount of work, go for an LTC ... if you’re looking to buy a property i’d be happy to help you on your search. Licensed in MA, and our team services MA, RI, SC, and FL.

John Law will probably show up and demand the surrender. I'll refuse and point them to Chapter 140, Section 129D, starting with the word "if", at which point they'll break down my door, take my guns, shoot my dog, upper deck me, throw my keys on the roof, and cuff and stuff me.

"Section 129D. Upon revocation, suspension or denial of an application for a firearm identification card pursuant to section 129B or for any firearms license if the firearm identification card is not then in force or for any machine gun license"
No banging your wife?

Ma is very hard on gun owners. Getting a license can be difficult and restrictive. There are guns and magazines you can't buy and a lot of vendors won't ship here. If possible, commute from New Hampshire. I'd move in a heartbeat but the wife won't go. If you have a choice, don't come here.

Well there is always the option of refusing to provide the reference letters. There is no legal requirement to do so. It's one of the made-up things some CoP do to make things more difficult. But you may want to make sure you've got your lawyer on board for a long fight, because they will fight it. You'll need to be squeaky clean as well because they will point to anything as a reason other than your refusal to submit. The up side would be if you win you'll set a precedent against this BS that will make you a hero in the MA gun community.
I will provide the reference letters and do whatever else needs to be done, within reason. I have held an Illinois FOID card (,required to possess any type of firearm or ammunition) for years. I am law-abiding. I tend to be more of a blade guy than a gun guy, but don't get me wrong; I am 100% pro-2A!

I understand, but transporting handguns thru NY and CT is dicey. State troopers make the arrest and jail you. Months later, at your trial, argue FOPA. By then, out of a job and financially ruined. No thanks. Not worth it!

FOPA allows you to transport firearms if you can legally posses them in your origin and in your destination. Locked up, ammo separate.

I transport firearms from my home in GA to my camper in CT in the spring and back in the fall; no issues. CT honors FOPA, NYC and NJ may or may not. There's been lots of discussion on this forum regarding transporting them through NYC with people taking both sides, in some cases vehemently. My personal choice is to drive around NJ and NYC, through Pennsylvania, passing only briefly through NY up by Danbury, CT. It's longer, but a nicer drive - and I avoid NYC entirely.

FOPA allows you to transport firearms if you can legally posses them in your origin and in your destination. Locked up, ammo separate.

I transport firearms from my home in GA to my camper in CT in the spring and back in the fall; no issues. CT honors FOPA, NYC and NJ may or may not. There's been lots of discussion on this forum regarding transporting them through NYC with people taking both sides, in some cases vehemently. My personal choice is to drive around NJ and NYC, through Pennsylvania, passing only briefly through NY up by Danbury, CT. It's longer, but a nicer drive - and I avoid NYC entirely.
I81, I84, I87? That's our route. Avoid NJ and NYC is the best bet.

We have a vacation home in Florida. The Florida concealed carry license covers concealed firearms, knives, bludgeoned and other weapons. Any concealed knife with a blade longer than 4" requires this license. My folder is right at 4", so no problem. If one is tall and of stout build, they could carry a cutlass or a Louisville Slugger concealed, perfectly legally, with the Florida license. I have no need to do this, so I never bothered to apply. Most "carry" licenses are a handgun-only proposition.

We have a vacation home in Florida. The Florida concealed carry license covers concealed firearms, knives, bludgeoned and other weapons. Any concealed knife with a blade longer than 4" requires this license. My folder is right at 4", so no problem. If one is tall and of stout build, they could carry a cutlass or a Louisville Slugger concealed, perfectly legally, with the Florida license. I have no need to do this, so I never bothered to apply. Most "carry" licenses are a handgun-only proposition.
Not sure what the FL license has to do with his post. In case it wasn't clear, FOPA refers to the Firearms Owners Protection Act, which provides safe harbor for people traveling among the various states.

Op is not a gun nut lol,he a housenut(like to buy houses). He ask about ma gun permits and got his answer.this thread is done lol.and welcome to massachusshit op,that new state name .

Last edited:
The Florida concealed carry license covers concealed firearms, knives, bludgeoned and other weapons. Any concealed knife with a blade longer than 4" requires this license. ... If one is tall and of stout build, they could carry a cutlass ... concealed, perfectly legally, with the Florida license.
Arrr.

Back
Top Bottom