New to MA; LTC or FID?

Looks like it's going to be Woburn. We will be dealing with an officer named Maureen Garrity. The chief wants reference letters from 2 people certifying that my wife and I are of sound mind and character. He wants the addresses, phone numbers and emails of these individuals so they can be contacted and questioned. I really dont know anyone who will stick their neck out like that, especially dealing with police. How do we handle this? Never heard of such a thing!

How do we handle this? Never heard of such a thing!
by renting in New Hampshire?
sorry, i do not know how to tell you otherwise. Most towns inside of rt.128/95 loop are NOT gun friendly. Woburn is not the worst, but, not the best either.
being close to Boston metro has its downsides.

this is an old list, i tried to search but could not find one more current - this one is pinned to the top of this very forum - you need to look and review.
woburn was always in the red from what i know. means you may not get an LTC in there at all.

Last edited:
Looks like it's going to be Woburn. We will be dealing with an officer named Maureen Garrity. The chief wants reference letters from 2 people certifying that my wife and I are of sound mind and character. He wants the addresses, phone numbers and emails of these individuals so they can be contacted and questioned. I really dont know anyone who will stick their neck out like that, especially dealing with police. How do we handle this? Never heard of such a thing!
Woburn sucks. Restricts first licenses. Calls references (as you've found). Welcome to MA, and "suitability."

Unless you already bought the house, I would take the advice to look in So. NH. Commuting to Burlington is not that bad.

Have your boss,or friend at work say you are sane , and expensive to replace if a bear eat you ,that wut i did. On 2nd letter my neighbor said am a family man( you can have your landlord or who ever you buy/rent from saying that u are sane). If thing dont work out with your ltc, they may give you ltc restricted, or an fid.on an fid you can own rifle and shot gun, and a few semiauto like sks and m1 garand, which are good enough for the average home owner.

Have your boss,or friend at work say you are sane , and expensive to replace if a bear eat you ,that wut i did. On 2nd letter my neighbor said am a family man( you can have your landlord or who ever you buy from saying that u are sane). If thing dont work out with your ltc, they may give you ltc restricted, or an fid.on an fid you can own rifle and shot gun, and a few semiauto like sks and m1 garand, which are good enough for the average home owner.
hmm, NO!
unless you are 1000% sure you know those people, letting co-workers into this thing, in MA, is the VERY last thing that is wise to do. especially if you are moving into a new office.

again, look at woburn. look at the rt.3. morning commute on it in the morning from NH sucks - it is heavy, but, it is doable.
or look to settle in green towns that are closer to rt.495.

do you also care about school districts - are there any kids of a school age or no kids?

hmm, NO!
unless you are 1000% sure you know those people, letting co-workers into this thing, in MA, is the VERY last thing that is wise to do. especially if you are moving into a new office.

again, look at woburn. look at the rt.3. morning commute on it in the morning from NH sucks - it is heavy, but, it is doable.
Who say it have to be coworker from your current job? It could be from one of your old job, or a guy that you work with in the past,or your friend. What wrong with saying :"hey bud, massachusset will jail me because i own a shotgun,help me out"

Born and raised in MA. Knowing what I know now and if I were in your shoes, I would move to NH and do the commute.

Also, we're full blown covid. Are you going to be working remote for the next couple of years, or are you required to go into the office?

I would need a 100k yr raise to move from Carolinas to Woburn MA. No thank you. Between weather, taxes, oppressive liberal government and all the other suck that is MA you better have an insane job offering to make the move.

LTC and FID go thru the exact same process for approval and have the exact same cost. Only difference is the privileges granted by each. FIDs are basically for 15-20 year old applicants. No good reason for an adult to get one. [It's like paying $100 for dinner and the only two items you can choose from is a hot dog or filet mignon . . . why choose the hot dog?]
I will leave the privilege vs right pontification to others, but there is one more difference.

The licensing officer can deny an LTC for anything that in his/her opinion makes you unsuitable (yeah, the statute now requires dangerousness, but the courts are ignoring this distinction). Heresay evidence, evidence presented without an opportunity to confront your accuser, rumor, or exercising the right to remain silent are all valid reasons do deny/revoke an LTC in MA. It likely a MA court would uphold a denial for habitual nose picking.

The FID can only be denied if the licensing officer asks the court to approve the denial, which is a near certainty if the police have anything they can show you were accused (yes, accused, not convicted) of.

ps: I prefer the term tubesteak to hotdog :)

at least you can look at billerica is you have to stay so close to burlington. but, woburn is not a good place to live, sorry to those who are there. i used to rent there, so, i can say what i think too.

or Concord.

I will leave the privilege vs right pontification to others, but there is one more difference.

The licensing officer can deny an LTC for anything that in his/her opinion makes you unsuitable (yeah, the statute now requires dangerousness, but the courts are ignoring this distinction). Heresay evidence, evidence presented without an opportunity to confront your accuser, rumor, or exercising the right to remain silent are all valid reasons do deny/revoke an LTC in MA. It likely a MA court would uphold a denial for habitual nose picking.

The FID can only be denied if the licensing officer asks the court to approve the denial, which is a near certainty if the police have anything they can show you were accused (yes, accused, not convicted) of.

This is why I have both FID and LTC. Chief can suspend my LTC for habitual nose picking and come seize all my large capacity firearms. Since I have an FID card, he can't take the FID or anything not large capacity without going to court.

Not much choice. Been with the company 20 years. Excellent benefit package. I will be 55 soon and we have a 10 year plan to retirement. I am too old to apply to another company in my field (computers). HR wants their new hires to be young flowers, not old prunes, if you get my drift. We bought a new-construction three bedroom and two bathroom townhome in Vero Beach, Florida, in November 2019 to use as a vacation home and an eventual retirement home. Already have signed ed P&S on our NC home. The home in Woburn is a two bedroom and two bath townhome. Won't be forever. I will ask the FFL dealer and his wife in NC that we did a lot of business with for reference letters on their business letterhead. So we all have to be honest, but there is no realistic way that he can vouch for my mental stability or good character or that of my wife. He is not a shrink. Only a board- certified psychiatrist can make such assessments. I dont think the Woburn police chief has any idea of what he is really asking for and who is actually qualified to provide it. Worst case scenario is that my wife and I get force-fed FID cards, right. By FID standards, our two pump action shotgun and three bolt-action rifles seem to be OK.

Not much choice. Been with the company 20 years. Excellent benefit package. I will be 55 soon and we have a 10 year plan to retirement. I am too old to apply to another company in my field (computers). HR wants their new hires to be young flowers, not old prunes, if you get my drift. We bought a new-construction three bedroom and two bathroom townhome in Vero Beach, Florida, in November 2019 to use as a vacation home and an eventual retirement home. Already have signed ed P&S on our NC home. The home in Woburn is a two bedroom and two bath townhome. Won't be forever. I will ask the FFL dealer and his wife in NC that we did a lot of business with for reference letters on their business letterhead. So we all have to be honest, but there is no realistic way that he can vouch for my mental stability or good character or that of my wife. He is not a shrink. Only a board- certified psychiatrist can make such assessments. I dont think the Woburn police chief has any idea of what he is really asking for and who is actually qualified to provide it. Worst case scenario is that my wife and I get force-fed FID cards, right. By FID standards, our two pump action shotgun and three bolt-action rifles seem to be OK.
Damn, u are well off. Your pum and bolts are good to go on them fid, ltc are for all the gunnuts on this board. The reason they ask 4 letters because they just want to made damn sure that they dont give gun permit to drug dealers or nuts. Just tell them how many houses you have and your job, you be ok. When i was running around with my fid i got me a semiauto shotgun, pum shotgun, sks and bolt action 308.just that not too many place to shoot in massachusshit anyway, unless you want to join gun club lol.

Woburn? I heard you could get cancer just by driving through there with the windows open. Please, don't do that live in New Hampshire.

So we all have to be honest, but there is no realistic way that he can vouch for my mental stability or good character or that of my wife. He is not a shrink. Only a board- certified psychiatrist can make such assessments. I dont think the Woburn police chief has any idea of what he is really asking for and who is actually qualified to provide it. Worst case scenario is that my wife and I get force-fed FID cards, right. By FID standards, our two pump action shotgun and three bolt-action rifles seem to be OK.
Here in Massachusetts chiefs of police are the same as psychiatrists maybe even better. LOL Sorry to make light of your question and or your plight of possibly moving to Massachusetts but here we live in an alternate reality that has NO bearing on the Constitution.

hmm, NO!

do you also care about school districts - are there any kids of a school age or no kids?
I keep all controversial topics out of the workplace. Guns and gun ownership are controversial topics. Better safe than sorry.

Here in Massachusetts chiefs of police are the same as psychiatrists maybe even better. LOL Sorry to make light of your question and or your plight of possibly moving to Massachusetts but here we live in an alternate reality that has NO bearing on the Constitution.
Probably just a CYA measure. Nobody but a board-certified psychiatrist can determine whether a person is of sound mine, which is what the Woburn chief wants stated in the letter. So, I will arrange for him to get these letters. Wife will too. He wants them emailed to his attention. Officer Maureen Garrity handles the rest.

I keep all controversial topics out of the workplace. Guns and gun ownership are controversial topics. Better safe than sorry.
woburn has had some history with unsafe environmental factors, among other things, but, if you already purchased a property there - i would not worry, what`s done is done.
it is not the worst place to live, just, i prefer places outside of rt.128 loop.

Damn, u are well off. Your pum and bolts are good to go on them fid, ltc are for all the gunnuts on this board. The reason they ask 4 letters because they just want to made damn sure that they dont give gun permit to drug dealers or nuts. Just tell them how many houses you have and your job, you be ok. When i was running around with my fid i got me a semiauto shotgun, pum shotgun, sks and bolt action 308.just that not too many place to shoot in massachusshit anyway, unless you want to join gun club lol.
Some folks enjoy different things. Wife and I like target shooting with rifles and shotguns. I have no interest in either owning a handgun or lugging one around. Got enough junk on my belt, in my pockets and in my SUV. Besides, I am a right-handed guy who is left-eye-dominant. Long guns work the best for me.

Send both to me. I'll perform some tests and report. Or ask for more samples.

At our socially-distanced Hangover Shoot yesterday, one guy made ribs. He started by boiling them, in some strange mixture of spices.....freakin' AWESOME.
The Carolina BBQ sauce is vinegar- based. A bit lighter than the Memphis variety.

Look at all the handguns you can't buy from a dealer in this shithole and if there's something you'd like, get it before you move here. Could you work here but live in New Hampshire? I know it sounds crazy but wait until you see just how screwed up the gun laws are in this state.

I want to add when going for LTC- I Recommend a place that has live-fire some towns in Mass require that. Members please correct me if I am wrong

Look at all the handguns you can't buy from a dealer in this shithole and if there's something you'd like, get it before you move here. Could you work here but live in New Hampshire? I know it sounds crazy but wait until you see just how screwed up the gun laws are in this state.
I understand, but transporting handguns thru NY and CT is dicey. State troopers make the arrest and jail you. Months later, at your trial, argue FOPA. By then, out of a job and financially ruined. No thanks. Not worth it!

I understand, but transporting handguns thru NY and CT is dicey. State troopers make the arrest and jail you. Months later, at your trial, argue FOPA. By then, out of a job and financially ruined. No thanks. Not worth it!
Follow FOPA and you have nothing to worry about. It's really not that hard. To be really safe, and load the gun cases deep in the box of the truck, and lock the doors before you start your drive.

Think about how many people manage to run drugs and illegally possessed firearms around the country every day and don't have the very believable and disarming cover of being a married couple in a moving truck.

Well there is always the option of refusing to provide the reference letters. There is no legal requirement to do so. It's one of the made-up things some CoP do to make things more difficult. But you may want to make sure you've got your lawyer on board for a long fight, because they will fight it. You'll need to be squeaky clean as well because they will point to anything as a reason other than your refusal to submit. The up side would be if you win you'll set a precedent against this BS that will make you a hero in the MA gun community.

Back
Top Bottom