New to MA; LTC or FID?

LTC all day, every day. I asked the same question back in ‘12 when I moved here. At that time I was just planning on getting the FID. Boy, am I ever glad the gang at NES set me straight. Fast forward to now and I own and more importantly enjoy, many items not available with an FID. You definitely will not regret going for the LTC.

As others have said apply for the LTC. You have my condolences on having to move to the hell hole that is Massachusetts.
Also if you ever want to shoot those guns outside of very limited areas you'll need to join a club unless you are out in western mass possibly. The what club question would be for another thread.
Massachusetts is the greatest state in the nation.... west of the Quabbin and east of Bourne.

Thank you for the response. Much appreciated. Wife has clean record. Unfortunately, I was arrested in Long Beach, CA back in the mid-1980s on a felony charge for carrying a switchblade. The knife was actually a Gerber FS2 lockblade with a Flickit attachment for one handed opening. I was out fishing when my reel malfunctioned and caused a huge tangle. I removed the FS 2 from my pocket and cut away the excess line. Somebody reported a man with a switchblade to the police. Two young female officers arrived, questioned me and arrested me for carrying a switchblade. After 3 days in jail, I was arraigned. My lawyer saw the knife and read the police report. He moved to dismiss the case and a "turnover order" for the return of my knife. The judge examined my knife, agreed that it was not a switchblade and dismissed the case right then and there. I did get the Gerber back, minus the Flickit device. That was the least of my worries. Still have a felony arrest on my record. Did not affect my Illinois FOID. Not sure about MA. Opinions?
I am a noob, but from my research and LTC in hand, I'd bet that WHERE you move will have a much greater impact than this will. A friend with much more problematic felony charges but no convictions got his no problem.

OP: DPR is referring to Question 4 on the LTC app: it asks if you have ever appeared before a judge, not if you've been convicted. Very important to answer truthfully.
Actually, I have the judge's name. Not sure if she is still a judge but she was genuine. She said that the Gerber FS2 was the " skinny sister" of her husband's Buck 110 folding hunter and that a large paper clip or hair pin could do the same job as my Flickit for less cost. She also commented about wasting valuable court time before dismissing the case and ordering the bailiffs to release me. I wish all judges up on the bench were like her! I will include all details, including a copy of my Illinois State Police-issued FOID card along with my application. Go for LTC, yes?

Last edited:
I am from East St. Louis, Illinois.
What's the deal with Collin's Wig shop? It seems to have been the only business on Collinsville Ave to not have survived downtown East St. Louis steadily turning into vacant lots.

I was sad to see the Murphy Building next to the Majestic Theater had to be torn down because the entire inside of the structure had rotted out.

Actually, I have the judge's name. Not sure if she is still a judge but she was genuine. She said that the Gerber FS2 was the " skinny sister" of her husband's Buck 110 folding hunter and that a large paper clip or hair pin could do the same job as my Flickit for less cost. She also commented about wasting valuable court time before dismissing the case and ordering the bailiffs to release me. I wish all judges up on the bench were like her! I will include all details, including a copy of my Illinois State Police-issued FOID card along with my application. Go for LTC, yes?
yes but don't forget the previous posts RE: MA issued firearms course certificate. it is a requirement to apply

What's the deal with Collin's Wig shop? It seems to have been the only business on Collinsville Ave to not have survived downtown East St. Louis steadily turning into vacant lots.

I was sad to see the Murphy Building next to the Majestic Theater had to be torn down because the entire inside of the structure had rotted out.
We got out of there a few years ago. Another transfer. We ended up in the NC tech belt near Raleigh. All of my relatives also moved. Place is just too damned dangerous!

it really matters of what town you will be settling in. in some towns local PD is not giving LTCs or gives only restricted ones. and, like others said - if you can - settle in the NH, if you are into hunting and guns.

Very few towns restrict LTCs by default, there are less than 10 pure shit towns in MA at this point. (Brookline, Boston, Cambridge, Springfield, etc. ) Maybe a handful of semi-shit towns like Quincy and Brockton that either age discriminate or restrict the first LTC. The rest all pretty much issue A/NONE to most people who qualify, although various towns will have various
unlawful requirements so it makes sense to check to see what you're up against before going in.

buy glocks , a few ar15 ... a truck load of preban mags before you move to ma, they worth lot of money here. there are lot of guns that you just can not buy in massachusset

Read LenS' post about what you should get from the courhouse, prior to talking to the PD. Different states have different terms that can cause issues.

Long commute. Wife and I discussed it. No savings. MA income tax and high NH property taxes. Not a bargain at all.

Saving your sanity will be worth it in the end. Regardless of where they work I have not met one single person that regretted moving out of this dump. Not one.

Very few towns restrict LTCs by default, there are less than 10 pure shit towns in MA at this point. (Brookline, Boston, Cambridge, Springfield, etc. ) Maybe a handful of semi-shit towns like Quincy and Brockton that either age discriminate or restrict the first LTC. The rest all pretty much issue A/NONE to most people who qualify, although various towns will have various
unlawful requirements so it makes sense to check to see what you're up against before going in.
Thank you for the kind advice. Felony arrest on a weapons charge always looks bad, especially a knife charge. Unfortunately, knives are considered to be the weapons of hoodlums and thugs in many jurisdictions. A switchblade arrest, like mine in California, is a felony with a 3 year sentence. Carrying a loaded and concealed handgun without a license is a misdemeanor. Or at least it was at the time. Go figure. Zero sense!

Apply for LTC. Why have the Honda when you can have the Cadillac. Also, regardless of what is true, let them know you have firearm experience and you want your ltc for self defense. No more or less. This will help you get no restrictions, which, in my opinion everyone who can have an ltc should have.
Unfortunately, some people argue that.

Last edited:
Also, include a copy of the court's Docket Sheet which will list the charge and resolution. It makes the licensing officer's job easier and is more likely to go in your favor.

Be aware of our AWB (statute, basically same as the Clinton Ban from 1994-2004) wrt mag limits (10 for rifle/handgun, 5 for shotgun).

LTC and FID go thru the exact same process for approval and have the exact same cost. Only difference is the privileges granted by each. FIDs are basically for 15-20 year old applicants. No good reason for an adult to get one. [It's like paying $100 for dinner and the only two items you can choose from is a hot dog or filet mignon . . . why choose the hot dog?]
Hey, LenS, thanks for the advice! Much appreciated! OK, as for filet vs hotdog, we have a real feud with the Tennessee folks: dry rub St. Louis baby back ribs or wet mop Memphis ribs? LOL!

Hey, LenS, thanks for the advice! Much appreciated! OK, as for filet vs hotdog, we have a real feud with the Tennessee folks: dry rub St. Louis baby back ribs or wet mop Memphis ribs? LOL!
Send both to me. I'll perform some tests and report. Or ask for more samples.

At our socially-distanced Hangover Shoot yesterday, one guy made ribs. He started by boiling them, in some strange mixture of spices.....freakin' AWESOME.

Three days in jail for using a knife to untangle your fishing reel. And still have that following you around. Ouch...!
Very aggressive young officers. Their street names were "Cagney & Lacey". Both left the force a few years later and ended up working under the U.S. Treasury Department. Treasury was heavily recruiting women at the time. One became a Secret Service agent and the other a special agent with U.S. Customs. At the time, all Treasury agents. After 9/11, Department of Homeland Security agents. I suspect both are retired now with full pensions. I have no hard feelings. I wish them well!

That's one of the problems in MA, a "suitability" denial is up to the local licensing authority, and while they added to the definition a ways back, a lot of LOs (Licensing Officer) still apply the old definition and judges tend to allow it. So whether or not your arrest is a problem will depend on the town/city. Some LOs don't like to read so they will see the charges and "switchblade" and that will be as far as they to.

Just my opinion, and I'm not a lawyer, but I'd give a very brief explanation, something like "Arrested for X. Judge dismissed charges after determining that it was NOT a switchblade. Copy of docket attached" "No other arrests either before of after (assuming this is true). If it's a concern for the LO and he willing to listen, he'll probably ask for more info.
I still have the actual 1970s vintage Gerber FS2 that caused all of the trouble in the first place. The chief or LO can examine it at any time with my blessings. The FS2 is old school technology. An early 1970s dinosaur. It is also out of production. Its day has long passed. Same with the Flickit. Modern folders have thumb studs and holes in the blade, like CRKT, Cold Steel and Spyderco, for fast one hand opening.

Saving your sanity will be worth it in the end. Regardless of where they work I have not met one single person that regretted moving out of this dump. Not one.
I took a pay cut and now live in an apartment not a house, and I'm still happy with my decision to leave the PRM. The gov in MA actively works to sh@t on you and uses your own money to do it.

I took a pay cut and now live in an apartment not a house, and I'm still happy with my decision to leave the PRM. The gov in MA actively works to sh@t on you and uses your own money to do it.
I am from MA and I feel safer driving with a gun in NH than I do in MA (legally speaking).

In MA, just by waking up, I am probably breaking some weird law that I dont know.

Take the stupid law when transporting a handgun vs storing it at home.

Besides guns laws ... property prices. All of MA is full retard right now. It is amazing how much prices changed in the past 5 years alone.

You can't find a decent $425K single family home an hour from the city anymore. I am glad I bought a few years back. Being a slave to a mortgage is the worse.

Southern NH is also full retard, but at least you can get a little more than in MA.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom