New to MA; LTC or FID?

Just got transferred by my company to its facility in MA. Wife and I are not looking forward to another move, but I have too many years with this company and am too old (mid 50s) to get a other job in high tech. As for guns, we have pair of Remington 870s, both 12 gauge with vent rib and rifle-sight deer barrels. They serve double duty for skeet, trap, sporting clays and home defense. We have 3 Savage bolt action rifles in. 22 rimfire and .223 for target shooting. OK, so which license is the least amount of trouble to get? Thanks in advance!

What town will you be residing in?
Go for the LTC, even if you don't plan on getting into handguns at this point in time.
Degree of between FID and LTC is minimal depending on your COP.
Welcome and good luck!

OP, welcome to the Democratic Peoples' Republic of Mass. (DPRM)

The above answers are all dead-on.

Let us know what town you'll be in, and you may get better answers. There are a few towns that are a PITA, because in mass the Licensing Authority (generally the Chief of Police) has "Discretion," as the governing statute for issuance uses the term, "May" issue. There are several hoops that you need to jump through, to apply, so, unless you're already somewhat versed in the details, ask, and you'll get the info.

The price for FID and LTC is the same.

As others have said apply for the LTC. You have my condolences on having to move to the hell hole that is Massachusetts.
Also if you ever want to shoot those guns outside of very limited areas you'll need to join a club unless you are out in western mass possibly. The what club question would be for another thread.

OP....if you're truly a boot knife fan, be advised that there are laws regarding knives in Mass., at both the State and, in some cases, Local level.
Thank you for the info. Much appreciated. I own several boot knives but dont carry them. I have always been a blade guy. I studied fencing, using the foil, epee, and saber. I studied escrima and arnis, both Filipino styles of stick and edged-weapons fighting. I also studied jujitsu, so I am fairly well versed in martial arts. My EDC is a 4" Cold Steel Voyager folding knife. Legal in MA or no? I am from East St. Louis, Illinois.

OP, welcome to the Democratic Peoples' Republic of Mass. (DPRM)

The above answers are all dead-on.

Let us know what town you'll be in, and you may get better answers. There are a few towns that are a PITA, because in mass the Licensing Authority (generally the Chief of Police) has "Discretion," as the governing statute for issuance uses the term, "May" issue. There are several hoops that you need to jump through, to apply, so, unless you're already somewhat versed in the details, ask, and you'll get the info.

The price for FID and LTC is the same.
Thank you for the response. Much appreciated. Wife has clean record. Unfortunately, I was arrested in Long Beach, CA back in the mid-1980s on a felony charge for carrying a switchblade. The knife was actually a Gerber FS2 lockblade with a Flickit attachment for one handed opening. I was out fishing when my reel malfunctioned and caused a huge tangle. I removed the FS 2 from my pocket and cut away the excess line. Somebody reported a man with a switchblade to the police. Two young female officers arrived, questioned me and arrested me for carrying a switchblade. After 3 days in jail, I was arraigned. My lawyer saw the knife and read the police report. He moved to dismiss the case and a "turnover order" for the return of my knife. The judge examined my knife, agreed that it was not a switchblade and dismissed the case right then and there. I did get the Gerber back, minus the Flickit device. That was the least of my worries. Still have a felony arrest on my record. Did not affect my Illinois FOID. Not sure about MA. Opinions?

I am from East St. Louis, Illinois.
If you are from East St. Louis, and survived this long, you are good to go!
Like above said, go for LTC, same cost and same process. Like said above, depends on where you are going to settle depends on ease of getting, and with the Covid, several departments not taking applications, but check PD website of town you are going to settle.

Thank you for the response. Much appreciated. Wife has clean record. Unfortunately, I was arrested in Long Beach, CA back in the mid-1980s on a felony charge for carrying a switchblade. The knife was actually a Gerber FS2 lockblade with a Flickit attachment for one handed opening. I was out fishing when my reel malfunctioned and caused a huge tangle. I removed the FS 2 from my pocket and cut away the excess line. Somebody reported a man with a switchblade to the police. Two young female officers arrived, questioned me and arrested me for carrying a switchblade. After 3 days in jail, I was arraigned. My lawyer saw the knife and read the police report. He moved to dismiss the case and a "turnover order" for the return of my knife. The judge examined my knife, agreed that it was not a switchblade and dismissed the case right then and there. I did get the Gerber back, minus the Flickit device. That was the least of my worries. Still have a felony arrest on my record. Did not affect my Illinois FOID. Not sure about MA. Opinions?
Do not lie or omit anything on your LTC application. My opinion would be to first discuss with your town’s licensing officer before you fill out/sign the application. And or pay a firearms attorney and review with them.

If you are from East St. Louis, and survived this long, you are good to go!
Like above said, go for LTC, same cost and same process. Like said above, depends on where you are going to settle depends on ease of getting, and with the Covid, several departments not taking applications, but check PD website of town you are going to settle.

You are thinking of Missouri.

Just got transferred by my company to its facility in MA. Wife and I are not looking forward to another move, but I have too many years with this company and am too old (mid 50s) to get a other job in high tech. As for guns, we have pair of Remington 870s, both 12 gauge with vent rib and rifle-sight deer barrels. They serve double duty for skeet, trap, sporting clays and home defense. We have 3 Savage bolt action rifles in. 22 rimfire and .223 for target shooting. OK, so which license is the least amount of trouble to get? Thanks in advance!
FYI, there is no requirement to register firearms when you move to Mass. I’d consider purchasing and bringing anything that cannot be purchased easily but can be possessed in Mass. Glock, CZ, maybe a stripped lower. GOAL.org is a great resource and consider supporting them $$

Thank you for the info. Much appreciated. I own several boot knives but dont carry them. I have always been a blade guy. I studied fencing, using the foil, epee, and saber. I studied escrima and arnis, both Filipino styles of stick and edged-weapons fighting. I also studied jujitsu, so I am fairly well versed in martial arts. My EDC is a 4" Cold Steel Voyager folding knife. Legal in MA or no? I am from East St. Louis, Illinois.

There is no state-wide blade-length limit. Boston, Salem, and Worcester have local ordinances against blades over 2.5" There may be a couple more, but I'm not a lawyer.

There are sheeple that get nervous when you pull out a pocket knife. I stare at them and say, "You don't have a knife?" [laugh]

Switchblades are not unlawful to own in DPRM, but are not lawful to carry upon one's person, or under one's direct control in a vehicle. Spring-assist, one hand opening, etc. are Laful.

I flirted with Foil, back in the day. Many people said, "You'd be good at Sabre!" [wink]

Do not lie or omit anything on your LTC application. My opinion would be to first discuss with your town’s licensing officer before you fill out/sign the application. And or pay a firearms attorney and review with them.

OP: DPR is referring to Question 4 on the LTC app: it asks if you have ever appeared before a judge, not if you've been convicted. Very important to answer truthfully.

That's one of the problems in MA, a "suitability" denial is up to the local licensing authority, and while they added to the definition a ways back, a lot of LOs (Licensing Officer) still apply the old definition and judges tend to allow it. So whether or not your arrest is a problem will depend on the town/city. Some LOs don't like to read so they will see the charges and "switchblade" and that will be as far as they to.

Just my opinion, and I'm not a lawyer, but I'd give a very brief explanation, something like "Arrested for X. Judge dismissed charges after determining that it was NOT a switchblade. Copy of docket attached" "No other arrests either before of after (assuming this is true). If it's a concern for the LO and he willing to listen, he'll probably ask for more info.

I would move to NH or Maine or VT depending where you need to get and commute into mass if that was an option
Not VT, they went FR. But NH and ME are good. I'm an escapee of the PRM, happily living in NH

And buying stuff you can't buy in MA.

Not VT, they went FR. But NH and ME are good. I'm an escapee of the PRM, happily living in NH

And buying stuff you can't buy in MA.
Vt is still much cheaper to live in then mass though right? OP doesn't seem to care too much about things you're not supposed to have in MA by his list of what he owns.

Apply for an unrestricted LTC A. you will need to provide a paperwork in the application from a course like this one:

better schedule one quicker as they are severely overloaded now. tons of people are getting in there now, every time i go to shoot at MFS it amazes me how many people are in those classes.

in the reasoning for LTC it works OK to emphasise on the outdoors aspects - hiking in remote forest areas, protection from the wildlife, hunting - avoid bringing up any actual reasons of why one needs to carry, nothing people related, unless you have to carry large sums of money business related. if you will attend a course like i posted above they will explain of what to write and what not to.

it really matters of what town you will be settling in. in some towns local PD is not giving LTCs or gives only restricted ones. and, like others said - if you can - settle in the NH, if you are into hunting and guns.

OP: DPR is referring to Question 4 on the LTC app: it asks if you have ever appeared before a judge, not if you've been convicted. Very important to answer truthfully.
Also, include a copy of the court's Docket Sheet which will list the charge and resolution. It makes the licensing officer's job easier and is more likely to go in your favor.

Be aware of our AWB (statute, basically same as the Clinton Ban from 1994-2004) wrt mag limits (10 for rifle/handgun, 5 for shotgun).

LTC and FID go thru the exact same process for approval and have the exact same cost. Only difference is the privileges granted by each. FIDs are basically for 15-20 year old applicants. No good reason for an adult to get one. [It's like paying $100 for dinner and the only two items you can choose from is a hot dog or filet mignon . . . why choose the hot dog?]

LTC with ‘unrestricted’ classification. Write a paragraph on why you should have ‘unrestricted’ on your LTC application. There are many advantages to owning your LTC over FID and ‘unrestricted’ over the other categories.

As of January 1, 2015, Massachusetts will no longer issue A and B Licenses to Carry, there will be just a single LTC which is identical to the old LTC-A.

• FID (Firearms Identification Card): Permits the purchase of rifles and shotguns with a capacity of no more than 10 rounds and their carrying for hunting and sporting purposes.[5]FIDs are "Shall issue," except if the applicant fails a background check or is deemed "unsuitable" by the Police Chief.
  • LTC-A: This license allows purchase any firearm legal in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, are authorized to own "large capacity" firearms holding greater than 10 rounds assuming the magazine is "pre-ban" (Manufactured prior to September 13, 1994) post ban high-capacity magazines are not legal in Massachusetts with the exception of Law Enforcement. An LTC-A is the only permit that allows concealed carry in Massachusetts assuming it has not had any restrictions placed on it by the Chief of Police or issuing authority.”

Back
Top Bottom