• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New to Handguns- Revolver Recommendations please!

Hooper

NES Member
Good Evening -

Waiting on my LTC which is giving me some great time to learn. This forum is a wealth of knowledge but I have a few questions about revolvers for beginners I hope you can help with.

I am new to shooting handguns. I do eventually plan to carry, (don't expect a problem with the unrestricted Class A LTC as I live in a bright green town), but before I ever think about holstering a weapon, I need and want to become an experienced shooter. I know I want a double action revolver and since I live only a town over from Springfield MA it has to be a Smith & Wesson. Need to support the hometown folks!

As a beginner, I want to find the best revolver that will be the easiest to develop accuracy skills with at the range. I understand the J frame 38s, especially snub noses, are difficult to gain good accuracy as a beginner, especially at 50', and even though that is probably what I would eventually carry I don't know if that's the best place to start. I don't mind buying a first gun to learn on if indeed that's the case and then getting the snubbie later when I am ready to carry. Budget isn't a factor, getting the right gun is.

I have sort of small hands for a guy and have slightly arthritic fingers so weight and kick could be an issue. What do you think? I would love some recommendations for specific models!

Thanks so much for taking the time to help out someone who's just getting started!

Best,

Hooper

Small revolvers have small handles, but they also don't weigh anything, so recoil, even with regular pressure .38s it'll beat up your hands. They're no fun to shoot, and really hard to learn to shoot *well*.

To learn to shoot, get something like a 4" 617 in .22lr. All the fundamentals of shooting are exactly the same, the ammo is cheap, and there's no recoil (to speak of) so you can learn proper trigger squeeze and followthrough, and learn not to flinch, anticipate, etc.

Then try other peoples guns before you buy one to carry, there's lots of options besides revolvers, and individual fit (especially as it applies to natural point of aim) is really important.

S&W 686 4" barrel is a winner.

This was my first gun in recent history. Mild enough with 38 specials to learn good technique and nasty enough with full house 357 magnums to hurt so good.

A .22 revolver is also a great gun to start with, but the mild recoil can become "boring" for the new shooter.

Chris

The 686 in 4 inch is pretty much the classic revolver. Not a concealed carry gun but a great all around gun.

There is no "best" one to buy first. You will have more than one.

My preference for an all around nice shooter is a 4" S&W 686

Start with something in .22. You'll be able to shoot more and learn the fundamentals. From there, you can move onto a larger caliber and continue to hone your skills. But honestly, just shoot a couple thousand rounds of .22 and learn proper stance, grip, trigger pull, sight alignment, etc. You'll be glad you did.

If you really have your heart set on a revolver, a S&W 686+, 4" barrel and start with 38 special target loads. You can run light target 38 special, standard 38 special, 38 special+P and finally 357 magnum.

Good revolvers aren't cheap. I know many new LTC holders want to run out and buy something, but see if you can try or borrow some of your friends guns for a bit and then buy the right one.

+1 for the s&w 617 .22lr, My buddy just sold his but I loved shooting it. Plus it's a beautiful revolver so once you used to it you can upgrade to the almighty 686 and not feel like you have to unload the 617. They will make a great pair for the range.

I appreciate the feedback. Sounds like a .22l might be the way to go. BTW, I heard from a friend who works for Smith & Wesson they will not be re-opening the range or store to the public anytime soon if ever. They are thinking of a family and guest sale in Feb but that's it. Too bad. That place is just incredible.

The Ruger LCR for a CCW is a great choice, the grips help tames recoil and the trigger is excellent when compared to a stock SMITH. They come in 357,38sp, and 22lr. For a larger gun the 4" 686 is ideal. For a cheaper alternative the 605 by taurus is a great gun, accurate, heavy so it soaks up recoil and inexpressive.

I suggest a model 60 with a 3" barrel. I find no difference up to a 3" barrel for CCW comfort. The biggest issues for me are weight and handle size/shape. The 3" barrel also allows a long enough sight radius to shoot accurately. It easily handles 38s, and 357s don't even beat you up too badly. A 6 shot is too big for me to carry comfortably, so this one is the perfect combo for me.

Comfy for CCW, very accurate for fun at the range, light enough for CCW, heavy enough that 357s aren't impossible. Ruger makes a 3" SP101 as well. I've had both, and prefer the SW. I actually have the model 60 pro. Not sure how different it is from the regular model 60. No regrets.

Back
Top Bottom