New to Garand - question on cartouche

Gorony

NES Member
Hi,
So I was looking at a 44 M1 Garand (dated by S/N) - the serial and bolt check out for dates, but looking at it I can only make out the small cartouche on the very bottom of the stock, I can’t make out anything on the sides. Is it normal to not be able to make them out due to age and the like, or is it more likely that it’s not the original wood? I didn’t tear it down to look at the trigger group and barrel to get dates, but it’s supposed to be period correct, however the lack of cartouches is interesting to me.. just curious what’s normal? No pictures unfortunately, it’s in a store.
TIA for thoughts,

I suppose age could be a factor, but if the cartouches are very light/faint I would guess there's a higher probability the stock has been sanded and refinished at some point in its life

Also, hard to tell if wood is ever "original" as the SOP during arsenal rebuilds was to dissemble en mass, throw everything in bins of like parts, then reassemble randomly. Easier to tell if stock is "correct" or "period correct" by the markings as opposed to "original"

Hi, thanks... I guess it could have been sanded off as only the small ordinance wheel on the bottom of the pistol grip is visible. Ill try and get some history on it. I guess what I’m trying to understand is without any visible cartouches other than the small ordinance wheel, how does one tell if it’s correct/period correct? Serialized parts or things you can compare to the drawing numbers are easy....

This might be a good resource but can't vouch personally for its accuracy:
M1 Garand serial number stock cartouche list
Thanks, that’s a site I’ve been using when looking, my issue here is that there is no cartouche at all to compare against. The only stamp that’s not been obliterated is the small ordinance wheel on the bottom of the pistol grip, there are none on the sides at all to reference. Maybe I’m over thinking this, is it not really a concern if they’ve been sanded away over the years?

The small ordnance wheel on the bottom of the pistol grip is a Springfield WW2 stamp as I recall. Sometimes it will survive when the ones on the side of the stock don't. I have one like this where the wheel and the proof P are both nice and strong but the inspector stamps are missing and look like they were removed since there's a slight depression where they should be.

Unless there is evidence to support otherwise, there is a high probability the rifle you are looking at is pieced together. The bolt matching means nothing. Pictures exist from back in the day of GIs stripping rifles, putting all of the parts into piles and re-assembling them.

Thanks, that’s a site I’ve been using when looking, my issue here is that there is no cartouche at all to compare against. The only stamp that’s not been obliterated is the small ordinance wheel on the bottom of the pistol grip, there are none on the sides at all to reference. Maybe I’m over thinking this, is it not really a concern if they’ve been sanded away over the years?
Theres little concern unless your trying to squeeze every last bit of value out of your rifle.
If your looking for a correct period stock with strong marks they are out there.
So many people have been period correcting rifles over the years its tough to say if its "original" with out some sort of documentation.
I know 5 old timers who where buying their 12 a year limit every year since cmp took over.
. They would get to gether and strip and sort thier rifles by manufacture part and date. Then trade parts to make the most "correct" rifle they could. They would sell off a few rifles and rare parts. They also stock piled ammo. These guys are sitting on a huge cash cow for when they decided to sell.
Rumor mill says one of them (hes pushing 90) recently sold his stock pile of surplus ammo of 8mm,54r,06 and some pistol ammo. Some of the other guys says hes sitting on well over a million rounds. Plus he unloaded about 50 rifles at a auction last year and they where some of the "corrected" rifles.

Well I did purchase it. Looks like a project to get it back to 44 correct just started. IHC trigger group, post war sights, 50s oprod... this should be fun!

I'm not an expert on Garands, but IMO if you can't tell from the exterior whether the part is a Winchester period correct or not, I'm not sure what the point is to go mad swapping parts. I guess it gets the value up if it's all correct/original but then the parts cost isn't free. If it's anything like carbine parts its gonna get pricey.

Personally if anything I'd focus on the stock if you can find one correct and cartouches you can clearly make out and identify.

Congrats on the '44 Winchester!

Back
Top Bottom