New to competition.

It is kind of like the difference between "firearm", and "Pistol". All pistols and firearms, but not all firearms are pistols.

"Action pistol" could be pretty much any type of handgun competition that (usually) involves movement of the competitor. One of the largest organizations for "Action Pistol" type shooting is the International Practical Shooting Confederation. (IPSC) The United States arm of IPSC is the United States Practical Shooting Association. USPSA See: https://www.uspsa.org/

These were formed back in 1978 in Columbia MO. See; http://www.ipsc.org/ipsc/columbiaconference.php

There is also the International Defensive Pistol Association. See; http://www.idpa.com/ A spin off from the USPSA by folks who didn't like the fact that the sport was turning into too much of a "game" and departing from its "defensive roots". (Guess what? They still have rules and keep score and no one is shooting back, so it is STILL A GAME) [wink]

There are also other "action" type shooting matches such as pin/plate shoots, Cowboy action, 3-gun, and others just made up by the organizers.

I have tried just about all of them and they are all fun. Give it a try! Go to a local match and let the folks running it know that you are new to the game and as long as you can safely handle your equipment you will be welcomed and helped along.

Last edited:
So "Action Pistol" day is only for pistols. "USPSA" day is like "Action any-gun".

Well kinda. I'm somewhat new to USPSA but as far as I know, you can use pretty much any type of pistol OR (depending on the club/range) pistol caliber carbine. Then there are various divisions for the different types of guns.

Harvard has their June IDPA match this Saturday. Your shield would be work in the CCP or BUG divisions. If you already have a holster, you'll just need a concealment garment (shirt or vest), some mag pouches, and a flashlight for the indoor low light stage.

So "Action Pistol" day is only for pistols. "USPSA" day is like "Action any-gun".

Sorry, you caught me before I finished my post. Check the links provided for more info.

While not ideal for USPSA, your Shield and holster will work fine to try it out to see if you like it. You'll also need 4-5 magazines and some belt-mounted pouches to hold them.

Last edited:
The mystic valley action shoots follow a uspsa format, I believe outside the waist band holsters that point straight down are required for safety reasons. If your using a shield I would recommend at least 4 8 round mags a stage. round count could go as high as 30. 100 rounds is usually enough for the night (4 stages)

The mystic valley action shoots follow a uspsa format, I believe outside the waist band holsters that point straight down are required for safety reasons. If your using a shield I would recommend at least 4 8 round mags a stage. round count could go as high as 30. 100 rounds is usually enough for the night (4 stages)

Ugh... what an expensive sport lol. $25 per mag. I only have an IWB holster. So, all USPSA formats require OWB?

Sorry, you caught me before I finished my post. Check the links provided for more info.

While not ideal for USPSA, your Shield and holster will work fine to try it out to see if you like it. You'll also need 4-5 magazines and some belt-mounted pouches to hold them.

Thanks. I will do some more reading

Oh yeah the matches are cheap. I meant the equipment. $25 magazines x 5... other than the purposes of the matches, i dont have a need for 5 magazines lol.

He was referring to the cost of the gun and mags for open division. Some of those mags cost $130+[shocked]

What is the difference between "Action Pistol" and "USPSA"? I'm looking at Mystic Valley Gun Club's website and they offer both.

My CC holster is a IWB Alien Gear. Is that USPSA legal? I have a Shield 9mm.

http://mysticvalleygunclub.com/shooting.php

Mystic Valley hosts USPSA matches on Sundays during the winter season. All USPSA rules are followed and scores are submitted to USPSA HQ.

They also host Action Pistol matches on Friday nights year round. All USPSA rules are followed but scores are not submitted to USPSA HQ.

On "Action Fridays", all USPSA divisions are allowed, including PCC.
Action Friday stages are simpler than you will see at the official outdoor USPSA matches to accommodate newer shooters and are usually limited to 20 - 28 rounds.

It is the nature of all action pistol matches to require multiple magazines or speed loaders.

Ugh... what an expensive sport lol. $25 per mag. I only have an IWB holster. So, all USPSA formats require OWB?
I'd contact the club and let them know you're looking to try out action shooting and explain what gear you have. I wouldn't be surprised if they tell you to bring what you got for one of their Friday night events. Good luck.

I only have an IWB holster. So, all USPSA formats require OWB?

NO! Not true. [sad2] You may use your IWB holster at any REAL USPSA match.

This is one BIG problem with clubs that hold USPSA "STYLE" matches. They do not follow the rules by the book and sometimes implement "local rules" that are not USPSA rules.
Also competitors at these matches are not provided with access to the classification system and other advantages of being part of the organization.

You will be on a firing line, with shooters waiting behind you to go next. CC IWB holsters usually have a rearward cant, which means that while drawing your pistol is potentially aimed at people standing behind you. Vertical carry OWB holsters are pretty standard for almost all of the USPSA games, for both safety and functionality. A good Kydex holster for a S&W gun can be had for $30-$40. That and $25 a mag is cheap, wait until you really get into this, upgrade your gun, and are paying $80-$120 per 2011 mag.

Oh yeah the matches are cheap. I meant the equipment. $25 magazines x 5... other than the purposes of the matches, i dont have a need for 5 magazines lol.

If you decide that you like the sport and want to really get into it be prepared to drop $300 for a competition style rig. That is for the inner and outer belt, holster and mag holders only. No gun or mags.

Harvard has their June IDPA match this Saturday. Your shield would be work in the CCP or BUG divisions. If you already have a holster, you'll just need a concealment garment (shirt or vest), some mag pouches, and a flashlight for the indoor low light stage.

I did that stage without a flashlight and did pretty well as far as I can remember. One of my buddies in the same squad, not so much. He completely missed the group of three targets in the middle. As in, didn't even fire at them. Hahaha. We gave him a good ration for that one that he'll never live down.

I did that stage without a flashlight and did pretty well as far as I can remember. One of my buddies in the same squad, not so much. He completely missed the group of three targets in the middle. As in, didn't even fire at them. Hahaha. We gave him a good ration for that one that he'll never live down.

You mean last month's match?...I was referring to the match this coming Saturday[smile]

I'm surprised you managed without a flashlight as it's pretty damn dark.

You mean last month's match?...I was referring to the match this coming Saturday[smile]

I'm surprised you managed without a flashlight as it's pretty damn dark.

No sorry, LOL. March 25th @ Harvard. I just found the results from that match. Is that stage called "Garage"?. I can never remember stage names. But yeah I decided to go w/o the flash light and use a supported grip. It wasn't that hard to pick up the targets and I have decent 3-white dot sights on the 1911 I shot that day. If "Garage" is indeed the indoor stage, I did it in under 42 with 11 points down. Not the best by any means but I was happy with it.

A spin off from the USPSA by folks who didn't like the fact that the sport was turning into too much of a "game" and departing from its "defensive roots".
Actually, IDPA was a spinoff by a group of people who did not like the fact that they were not in charge. A big part of it was the refusal of USPSA at the time to do anything to allow Bill Wilson to remain a supplier of competitive equipment in the 1994 ten round magazine world.

If you doubt that, call the IDPA HQ and ask when members will receive the ballots to vote on the IDPA directors and president.

Last edited:
What Bill McCurdy said above - Some gun clubs hold action pistol matches which are USPSA 'like'. They have a course of fire that you shoot on the move but, the club may have it's own rules on how you can shoot and engage the targets. And, there are usually not the same rules on guns, mag capacity, equipment, etc. as with USPSA. Boston Gun and Rifle held action pistol matches for years until a couple of us formed Boston Urban Action Shooters, affiliated with USPSA and started holding USPSA sanctioned matches. For USPSA matches, the club has to allow you to follow USPSA rules. Scores are uploaded to USPSA and you earn a USPSA classification. Mystic Valley has also held 'action' pistol shooting matches for years which are not USPSA affiliated. Several years ago Boston Urban Action Shooters moved their USPSA matches from Boston to Mystic Valley so now, in addition to the Friday night 'action' pistol match, there is also a sanctioned USPSA match on the 2nd Sunday of the month November thru April.

As for the holster question -

5.2.7 Competitors must not be permitted to commence a course of fire wearing: 5.2.7.1 A shoulder holster or “tie-down” rig (visible or otherwise), except as specified in Rule 5.2.8. 5.2.7.2 A holster with the heel of the butt of the handgun below the top of the belt, except as specified in Appendix D, or otherwise indicated in Rule 5.2.8. 5.2.7.3 A holster with the muzzle of the handgun pointing further than 3 feet from the competitor’s feet while standing relaxed, 5.2.7.4 A holster which does not completely prevent access to, or activation of, the trigger while holstered.

* if it doesn't say you can't in the rules, then you can......

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom