New to Building

Hey all,

I am looking at finally building my Anderson lower that i purchased pre-Healey. I have alot of interest in trying to build a shorter barreled upper with some sort of extended muzzle device to exceed the 16" OAL. Im fine with keeping it as 5.56 but am open to a different caliber as well. Im having some trouble finding answers for certain aspects of that though.

Can a 10.5in upper be had with a 5.5in (or 6in) muzzle attachment pinned and welded...maybe even shimmed to ensure 16" OAL? or is it more easily achievable with a 14.5in barrel and an appropriate length muzzle device? I see that Triarc makes a 13.9 barrel that will come right in at 16.1 with a Dead Air muzzle brake. Im curious if faux suppressors (obviously no suppression, looks and length only) or flash CANS (not hiders) are a big no-no just because of their scary appearance.

I guess i could just build another 16" upper and purchase a fixed mag lower and build an AR pistol as ive been following the pistol build page as well.

hope all of you guys are doing well in these strange, unusual times.

What is your goal for the final length? You want a SBR or a 16 upper?
The over all length goes to the end of the muzzle brake or the can, what ever is welded to the end of the barrel.

Your lower is fine to build out and register and then SBR it if you want to go lower than 16", And you can also buy any short upper you want after it's SBR'd and swap to other calibers like 9 and 300. Some adapters may be needed to add to the Lower depending on the caliber.

Not sure about everyone else, but if I were building a non-SBR upper that meets 16" length requirements, I'd only go for a shorter barrel with longer muzzle device if there's a proven benefit to the muzzle device over having better velocity from a longer barrel. And I don't know how often that scenario happens.

Just use a 14.5" barrel and a muzzle device. The shorter barrel and making up extra inches is useless. Once the bullet leaves the rifling it loses all it's oomph and will just fall off sooner like a SBR. How much I couldn't tell you but I don't see any reason to have. 10.5" barrel and a 5.5" muzzle device.

What is your goal for the final length? You want a SBR or a 16 upper?
The over all length goes to the end of the muzzle brake or the can, what ever is welded to the end of the barrel.

Your lower is fine to build out and register and then SBR it if you want to go lower than 16", And you can also buy any short upper you want after it's SBR'd and swap to other calibers like 9 and 300. Some adapters may be needed to add to the Lower depending on the caliber.

Well the final length goal is 16" to not have to register it as an SBR. Although, i am not opposed to building an SBR, i have heard that the stamp process has become easier in some regard with the implementation of the electronic applications. I know there is still the 9 month wait period or however long. I also know the NFA Trust can be helpful for the process.

I agree with the other comment regarding wanting proven performance of a shorter barrel with longer muzzle device and not just for appearance. I guess i was just thinking because ive seen things like this.

Attachments

• fake supp.JPG
    fake supp.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 8
Not sure about everyone else, but if I were building a non-SBR upper that meets 16" length requirements, I'd only go for a shorter barrel with longer muzzle device if there's a proven benefit to the muzzle device over having better velocity from a longer barrel. And I don't know how often that scenario happens.
I agree with this. I built a SBR AR22. 4.5" barrel and a 7" long fake can because I was trying to build it tacti-cool looking. Otherwise I would have flipped it and gone with a 9" barrel and a 2-4" can. Then I had to get a longer handguard because it was awkward to hold with a 4" handguard. For me it was all about looks and not accuracy.

Attachments

• 20200330_210821.jpg
    20200330_210821.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 10
Well the final length goal is 16" to not have to register it as an SBR. Although, i am not opposed to building an SBR, i have heard that the stamp process has become easier in some regard with the implementation of the electronic applications. I know there is still the 9 month wait period or however long. I also know the NFA Trust can be helpful for the process.

I agree with the other comment regarding wanting proven performance of a shorter barrel with longer muzzle device and not just for appearance. I guess i was just thinking because ive seen things like this.
No it's not 9 months and you don't need a trust. It's more like ~24 days or so according to the form 1 megathread

If true I should be getting my approval next week.

I almost or did buy that exact one. May even still have it. If you see my pic i wen with one that is a hair fatter but looks similar.
You can get that and pin it. But in my case.. with the SBR, I can swap to a different look.

And the SBR - Tax Stamp right now is pretty quick. I think this may have only been a few months.

so what is the deal with the eForm 1? I know you used to have to go let your COP know that you were building an SBR etc? Now its just all electronic? i assume you register the lower SN with the form as an SBR, pay the fee electronically and wait the month or so for approval?

Thought this was the build it your self section not the ar assembly section ... jk ..... kinda .

If your not going sbr 14.5 with pinned muzzle device for 16”

Unless your going with a bigger caliper and want big fire balls. Weld a pipe on the barrel with a lot of holes drilled in like my 6” 54r...

View: https://youtu.be/LeHC0depYBY

so what is the deal with the eForm 1? I know you used to have to go let your COP know that you were building an SBR etc? Now its just all electronic? i assume you register the lower SN with the form as an SBR, pay the fee electronically and wait the month or so for approval?
You fill it out online. but you print it and still mail copies to the local police as well as originals and pics and fingerprints to the ATF.

Yep you still mail the CLEO copy to the police chief. All electronic. Need to send 2 fingerprint cards along with the ATF copy of the application to ATF. Fairly easy.

Thought this was the build it your self section not the ar assembly section ... jk ..... kinda .

If your not going sbr 14.5 with pinned muzzle device for 16”

Unless your going with a bigger caliper and want big fire balls. Weld a pipe on the barrel with a lot of holes drilled in like my 6” 54r...

View: https://youtu.be/LeHC0depYBY

lol my bad! i was quick to post in here thinking 'building up a lower'

so ive been doing some reading in the eForm 1 thread, it sounds like the entire process is through the applicants hands. which is nice, the application and submittal of your own fingerprints sounds like a breeze. i assume applicants get the ATF approved fingerprint cards shipped offline?

Yep you still mail the CLEO copy to the police chief. All electronic. Need to send 2 fingerprint cards along with the ATF copy of the application to ATF. Fairly easy.

has there ever been any reported issues with the CLEO for any applicants? or is it merely a notification for them that you've applied? I only ask, because although my town is considered green, the CLEO withheld my LTCA until i was 25 because that is his policy.

so ive been doing some reading in the eForm 1 thread, it sounds like the entire process is through the applicants hands. which is nice, the application and submittal of your own fingerprints sounds like a breeze. i assume applicants get the ATF approved fingerprint cards shipped offline?
You can get the cards from ATF but I just bought them from Amazon.
Amazon product ASIN B01N1OZNM6View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1OZNM6/ref=as_sl_pc_tf_til?tag=&linkCode=w00&linkId=&creativeASIN=B01N1OZNM6

You can either get them free from the ATF or buy them from amazon. And print yourself. And also go to CVS for the passport pics. etc.

has there ever been any reported issues with the CLEO for any applicants? or is it merely a notification for them that you've applied? I only ask, because although my town is considered green, the CLEO withheld my LTCA until i was 25 because that is his policy.
Correct. It’s just a notification. Haven’t heard of any issues.

And holy crap dude which town are you in? That’s some bullshit I haven’t heard.

Correct. It’s just a notification. Haven’t heard of any issues.

And holy crap dude which town are you in? That’s some bullshit I haven’t heard.

Im in Attleboro. Its a long story, i used to be very active on here and have chronicled with others about my experience. I applied for my LTCA when i was 21...was straight up told by the licensing officer that i was going to be issued a H&T license. i immediately contacted local politicians requesting assistance, my rights being denied, infringed, etc etc. Voiced my displeasure. but ultimately had to wait. I have a clean record, no convictions. barely, maybe 1 speeding ticket.

On my 25th birthday i walked in and had it changed. There was a newer more lenient licensing officer at that time, but its still the CLEO's discretion. I havent had any issues since then. Just glad i dont live in a red or black town.

But this whole new eForm 1 process seems like a pleasure, Ive always wanted to build an SBR, maybe ill do just that instead.

Im in Attleboro. Its a long story, i used to be very active on here and have chronicled with others about my experience. I applied for my LTCA when i was 21...was straight up told by the licensing officer that i was going to be issued a H&T license. i immediately contacted local politicians requesting assistance, my rights being denied, infringed, etc etc. Voiced my displeasure. but ultimately had to wait. I have a clean record, no convictions. barely, maybe 1 speeding ticket.

On my 25th birthday i walked in and had it changed. There was a newer more lenient licensing officer at that time, but its still the CLEO's discretion. I havent had any issues since then. Just glad i dont live in a red or black town.

But this whole new eForm 1 process seems like a pleasure, Ive always wanted to build an SBR, maybe ill do just that instead.
Wow. Yeah I just saw the thread you started back in 2012.

I would recommend building a SBR. This is my first one and I can't wait to get the tax stamp. Will be great to have 22lr, 9mm, and 5.56 SBR uppers to use on that one SBR lower.

Well, after much needed convincing I’m going to go through with the Form 1. Already grabbed some fingerprint cards and ordered an Aero Precision MOE LPK with a Rise Armament anti walk drop in trigger. This is just the beginning and I’m stoked!

I’ll be doing the form and sending everything out next week hopefully!

Back
Top Bottom