• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New to Bolt Action

Just got my first bolt action for my son. It is a used Marlin 15 Youth. My question is how tight should the bolt be to the barrel? When closed it feels and looks nice and tight however if I close it and shine a light down the muzzle I can see a little light at the bolt. Is this at all normal with a bolt action .22lr or is this a problem?

does the firing pin protrude through the rear of the bolt on this model? If so, light would be normal. As long as the ears of the bolt engage the recesses, it should be fine.

On bolt action .22's it doesn't really matter as long as you aren't getting blown out or bulging cases. Now, If this were a centerfire rifle, you might have a serious problem.

Sealing the back end of the chamber is not accomplished by the bolt. It is the job of the cartridge case where, upon firing, the case expands to seal the chamber and prevent gasses from exiting rearward...called obturation.

If it concerns you have the headspace checked.

Back
Top Bottom