New to Board, Any F Class Shooters?

Hello,

New to this Board, and just wondering if there are any 1,000 yard F Class shooters on this site? I'm in NY, and a bunch of us travel down to Bodine, PA every summer to shoot F Class at 1,000 yards. Cartridges typically used are: 6.5-.284, 6.5x55, .260 Rem., .308, and the venerable .30-06. Look forward to hearing from some LR shooters.

Don

Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy it here.

No, to your question, although I think that there are some others here that are interested in long range rifle shooting. Do a Search of the forum, as there have been some recent questions about ranges with 600 yds or more capability in this region.

I've never shot an F Class match but really like the 600yd part of XTC.
The club I belong to, Reading Rifle & Revolver holds a few F Class matches over the summer and I hope to try it. They are at 600 though.

I'll be doing some F class competitions this year.. I just had my Rem 700 VS-SF .308 brought to me from Wisc so I can use it. I normally shoot service matches and now hooked and wanted to try F class as well :)

Brent,

You'll love it. A suggestion if I might. Prior to your first F Class event: 1. Chronograph your load; 2. Run your load thru an exterior ballistics software program to determine the MOA required to reach 1k; 3. At your local range, dial in the MOA needed from your 100 yard zero to make sure you have enough elevation adjustment in your scope (ie. If your .308 load requires 38MOA above your 100 yard zero, adjust your scope to shoot 38-39" high at 100 yards)

By doing all this in advance, you will save yourself alot of grief and will more than likely be on the paper with your first shot. Good luck.

Don

This sounds interesting. I'm an ex-BenchRest Shooter, used to shoot Hunter and Heavy Varmint classes, IBS, and before that NBRSA.

Now, I'll have to build that 338 Lapua Mag or 408 CheyTac. Of course,

I've got stuff to use right now, but realistically, it won't be that competitive. Short barrels or Semi-Auto's tend to have a disadvantage here.

USSR, where abouts are you, I grew up in Seneca falls. Just kind a cool to see somebody else from ny, you know, someone that may be close to where my family still is.

Now, I'll have to build that 338 Lapua Mag or 408 CheyTac. Of course,

Nickle,

Afraid that won't work. I believe F Class rules restrict bore size to 8mm or less. Also, muzzle brakes are not allowed, and believe me, you don't want to shoot either of those cartridges without one.

03roushs1,

Located about 10 miles from Watkins Glen, at the south end of Seneca Lake. Not all that far from where you grew up.

Don

Trust me, I wouldn't need the brake on the 338 Lapua.

I'd probably build a 300 Weatherby, on a Rem 700 for that class.

I damned sure know my RomAK 3 wouldn't be competitive.

USSR, my niece doesn't live far from you. She's in one of the small towns as you're headed towards Ithaca. I don't remember the exact name of the town, but it starts with a B.

I don't know about F Class but I do know that I've been known to utter a few F's when I'm shooting...

Bugie

I'd probably build a 300 Weatherby, on a Rem 700 for that class.

I damned sure know my RomAK 3 wouldn't be competitive.

USSR, my niece doesn't live far from you. She's in one of the small towns as you're headed towards Ithaca. I don't remember the exact name of the town, but it starts with a B.

Nickle,

Yeah, the RomAK wouldn't impress the target at all. We had a guy bring one of the Eastern European versions of the Soviet Dragunov rifles (forget it's name). We tried to tell him it wouldn't work, but he had to find out for himself (it didn't work).

The town your niece lives in wouldn't be Burdett would it? That's where I live.

Don

USSR said:
Nickle,

Yeah, the RomAK wouldn't impress the target at all. We had a guy bring one of the Eastern European versions of the Soviet Dragunov rifles (forget it's name). We tried to tell him it wouldn't work, but he had to find out for himself (it didn't work).

The town your niece lives in wouldn't be Burdett would it? That's where I live.

Don

The rifle you're referring to is the same. Romanian copy (similar) of an SVD Dragunov. THe Dragunov uses a short stroke action, the RomAK 3 (PSL) uses a long stroke, AK type action. The SVD has slightly better accuracy. I wouldn't use my M14 for this competition either, and it's about as good as an M21 built on a NM M14. This would be a custom built bolt gun only. An M24 would have difficulty, but an M40A1 or M40A2 would work. They have custom barrels.

And I think it's Burdett where she lives, or the other one nearby.

Yeah, PSL sounds like what he tried. The rifle may have looked like it would do the job, but the bullets and load just wasn't up to the task. This shooting at 1,000 yards is all about high quality, high BC bullets being driven at a high enough velocity to remain supersonic at 1k. The BC should be .5 or greater, and the velocity 2700fps or greater. Of course, it helps to have an accurate rifle. [wink]

Don

Back
Top Bottom