New to ATA

lazypengu1n

NES Member
Recently got back into Trap and purchased a nice O/U combo set for Trap and Skeet. Tried Skeet and like the challenge. I signed up for ATA and currently looking to see if there are any other new ATA shooters or someone I could go with. I have a few friends that shoot ATA but they are all busy for the next few weeks. I've shot plenty of rounds of Trap but never any ATA event.

Anyone in the NH/MA boarder shooting ATA, where and when. The MA and NH State Shoots are coming up and looks overwhelming to me to go at it alone my first time around.

can't help you, haven't shot ata in years, but...one piece of advice i always give people, and this is not meant as a slur or a dig, if you wait for others to go shooting you'll never shoot. it's hard to go into unfamiliar territory, i know that, but just go. everyone there is doing the same thing you are doing, you'll pick up a bunch of new friends, also. good luck with your shooting.

check out the MATA site and calendar

Massachusetts Amateur Trapshooting Association
i join once and shot a few ATA events, then got out of it. i wouldn't view the state event as overwhelming. why not go, jsut shoot the singles portion ( 100 targets) and be done for day, or watch the doubles and handicap.? don't pay in to the side events, or money games if worried about how you would do, just shoot the 100singles, see where you end up.

good luck..

Yeah, I ended up doing a lot of things one my own anyways cause people tend to have the tendency to say "Sure, sounds good and definitely." and never come through. I've been looking at ATA site and see a few events in the area. I am contemplating this Saturday at Pemi but never shot doubles trap before. Looking at the details in regards to calculating averages and handicap information is a bit confusing.

I think I would shoot singles only. From what I've gathered so far, since I have no average (never shot and registered targets) I would be handicapped to say 23 but does that only to Handicap events and not the singles event? Am I correct to assume that for the single event, everyone regardless of their class / handicap (I'm problem using these terms incorrectly) shoots from the 16y line? If that's that case, then I think I would be more comfortable as I've been shooting that the past two weeks as 24/23/22/21/21/22/24.

If you are going to the Ma and NH state shoots, you can join ATA right there Adults $20/yr if you live in Ma you have to join MATA $10. you just have to join state assn in state you live in. You should do targets only and then you won't be penalized. Go, watch, talk to shooters, and get the lay of the land. June is a busy month for New England Trap, but there is a smaller shoot at North Leominster R&G on June 25, not as high pressure as state shoots. Just remember, everyone starts out by going to their first shoot, we did not come in as experts. MOST shooters will be glad to help you during the down time they have between events.

If you are going to the Ma and NH state shoots, you can join ATA right there Adults $20/yr if you live in Ma you have to join MATA $10. you just have to join state assn in state you live in. You should do targets only and then you won't be penalized. Go, watch, talk to shooters, and get the lay of the land. June is a busy month for New England Trap, but there is a smaller shoot at North Leominster R&G on June 25, not as high pressure as state shoots. Just remember, everyone starts out by going to their first shoot, we did not come in as experts. MOST shooters will be glad to help you during the down time they have between events.

I've been shooting in Billerica that last few Sundays due to Pelham being down and those guys there are very nice and welcoming. I've had a blast so far. I joined ATA last week and my card is in the mail today. I signed up for 3 years up front. I did reach out to NHTA as well and mentioned the same thing for the NH State if I decide to attend that I could pay the $10 for the NHTA membership then.

Potential dates I'm looking at if I can get my permissions slip signed are

MASSACHUSETTS ATA MA STATE SHOOT June 6 - 9, 2019 - Singles
FITCHBURG SPORTSMAN'S CLUB No Name Available June 15, 2019 - Big 50
NORTH LEOMINSTER ROD AND GUN High Flyer Shoot June 23, 2019 - Singles
PETERBOROUGH SPORTSMENS CLUB Beginning of Summer Shoot June 30, 2019 - Singles

The big 50 in Fitchburg is low key and friendly group. I’ll be there. It starts at 12 so you can take your time getting there. GPS and phone is spotty out there so make sure you have your directions. If it’s not real busy you can also do a 2nd round.
Ive shot with those guys in Billerica too. Good group. Like Griz said on state shoot sign up for targets only. Saves you money and less stress.

Just go and shoot the event. You need 500 registered targets for classification. Some clubs will host ATA marathon where you just shoot until you have enough targets to get your average classification.

So go to the states shoot your singles and sign up for the lewis class. The lewis class is based on scores but you need not shoot a good score to get a prize.

I shot at Pemi today and averaged a 71. I have a question on cost. I plan on doing targets only and why not do the Lewis for each event. MATA and ATA fees are $5 total and each event is $11 + $10 Lewis. Would it be $21x4 + $5 to do all 4 events? Just want to make sure I know what I’m spending that day.

OP: It's simple; brig bucks! [laugh]

My son and I went to the RI shoot yesterday, after ~3 years of no registered targets.

Entry, both Lewis, and daily fees were $101. He played the Class Purse, an additional $10.

200 birds, all day event, so bring eats or an additional $20 for food. Figure in the cost of ammo, too, if you're counting $.

If you want to test the waters, go on Thursday or Friday, it's only 100 birds. Saturday is an uber-zoo, and will be challenging for an unaccompanied new shooter.

If you can't find a sensei, show up early and tell the officials that you're new, and they'll take care of you. Since you have no established official average, you'll be penalized with placement in a fairly high class (B or A most likely).

I'll not be attending Mass, though I will probably hit NH, based on my kid's schedule. If you still have not gone to one when that comes up (or even if you have), reach out to me, and I'll be more than happy to help you out.

As for the Lewis....see my sig line. [wink] Yesterday, I shot an 89 in my first 100. Meh...I'd messed with my shottie (new pad, not my usual gun, etc.) so I was not too bummed. My kid says, "Good news....you actually hit 90," after looking at the official score. Great!

Winning score on the lewis....89. [rofl]

I shot at Pemi today and averaged a 71. I have a question on cost. I plan on doing targets only and why not do the Lewis for each event. MATA and ATA fees are $5 total and each event is $11 + $10 Lewis. Would it be $21x4 + $5 to do all 4 events? Just want to make sure I know what I’m spending that day.
I was told If you do targets only you can enter D class instead of B class. You have to ask when you sign up.

So, Penguin, what did you think?

It was a great experience. Glad I went on the first day as it was slow, everyone was very nice and willing to help. I had a blast! Looking forward to the next ATA events in the area and hopefully get a better score.

If anyone’s interested, Singles 86 Handicap 71 Doubles 71

I’m thinking about Fitchburg but not if it’s only 50 Targets.

Not bad.

In case you have not seen it, here's the Shoot Calendar:
Massachusetts Amateur Trapshooting Association

Unless you're looking for only registered birds, any trap field is good practice. Shooting at different places will help to keep you from getting too used to one trap/field/background.

See you for New Hampshire? Or, if you're of a mind, come out to

www.southboroughrodandgun.com

on a Thursday (I'll be there) or a Sunday.

I’ve been looking at the shoot calendar trying to fill up my weekends. I usually practice at Pelham and shoot with friends if they are shooting on Sunday in Billerica. So far so good, one of my friends has been there the last few Sundays so I’m there.

Thursday’s are hard for me since I work late one Thursdays. I’m trying to get more registered targets done.

I’ll be going to Wallum Lake and the NH State in a few weeks.

can't help you, haven't shot ata in years, but...one piece of advice i always give people, and this is not meant as a slur or a dig, if you wait for others to go shooting you'll never shoot. it's hard to go into unfamiliar territory, i know that, but just go. everyone there is doing the same thing you are doing, you'll pick up a bunch of new friends, also. good luck with your shooting.

That’s actually great life advice that extends way beyond the shooting world. People are often very willing to share their passion with new folks in a variety of activities/hobbies/sports.

It was a great experience. Glad I went on the first day as it was slow, everyone was very nice and willing to help. I had a blast! Looking forward to the next ATA events in the area and hopefully get a better score.

If anyone’s interested, Singles 86 Handicap 71 Doubles 71

I’m thinking about Fitchburg but not if it’s only 50 Targets.
You can go to Lee and do big 50 too.

Back
Top Bottom