• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New to ARs, should I build or buy an off the shelf rifle.

This is pretty much the ideal rifle I would like to end up with (probably skimp on the stock and go with a CTR). I like the look of the MOE dissipator and the longer sight radius but I dont care about light weight barrels and such. I have been looking into building a rifle but I never seem to find what I am looking for. Either the parts are out of my price range (1K or under for rifle, mags and optics), on back order or cant be shipped to MA. Right now I am thinking I might be better off just getting a Stag Model#3, replace the furniture with Magpul parts and throw in a low profile gas block. It comes with a Miculek compensator that I like so that is added value to the rifle for me since I wont have to buy a comp and get it pinned and welded. What do yall think? My goal is to have a nice budget pinking gun that I could use for three gun down the road and that wont leave me wishing I had got something else after a month.

Stck_2741-1024-Stick.jpg

If you're planning on taking a standard carbine upper and turning it into a dissipator style, you're going to have to take the comp off anyway, so buying an upper with something pinned/welded on will be counter productive.

I would suggest either going with an 18"or 20" rifle upper, or if you had your heart set on 16", go midlength. The only companies that sell dissipator uppers are, TTBOMK, Bushmaster and Model1, neither of which I would ever buy (see "AR-15s - Who Makes the Best and Why?" at the top of the Firearms forum).

Also, I think the best way to go about procuring an AR is to buy a stripped lower and build it up yourself, and buy a complete upper.

And remember: buy quality, and you'll only cry once.

Can you explain why I would have to take the compensator off? I would love an 18" but again they are more money than 16" & 20" so I have to pass.

Build it.... I just finished building my first ar. The whole experience is awesome from buying the parts to building it then of course shooting it and having the satisfaction of knowing you built it or at least part of it.

Also atmay is right look at the thread " who makes the best ar and why" its very informative. And if your budget is 1 k you can still build a top quality rifle for that.

Last edited:
Build it.... I just finished building my first ar. The whole experience is awesome from buying the parts to building it then of course shooting it and having the satisfaction of knowing you built it or at least part of it.

Also atmay is right look at the thread " who makes the best ar and why" its very informative. And if your budget is 1 k you can still build a top quality rifle for that.

+1. If going BCM be prepared to be patient, parts are hard to get and when they come in stock you have to act fast.

If you can find an AR with everything you want, you can probably save money buying it fully assembled. I built my own because I just cuoldn't find exactly what I wanted. I tried the Miculek comp and found that the JP "Bennie Cooley" comp to be more effective.

did I read the OP correctly 1k for rifle mags and optics. I think you will have to by used from someone in need of cash or get in on group buys and really scrounge for deals....Have you checked on the S&W magpul AR(i have only heard of it?)
To get what you really want you would need to order it and or build yourself.
If you really know what you want then be patient and build it as your $$$ allows. If you rush you will end up in the end with a unit you dont use and wonder why you cant sell it close to what you paid. I know all to well about this. I luck out though and was able to sell off all my( I thought I wanted) stuff at the hieght of obama scare and recoupe 100% of my money.

Building ar's is fun but they go together too easily if you enjoy building next thing you know you will get into Russian rifles! If you are patient you can spread it out so it's easier financially because it's going to be tough getting a dissy for under $1000 even with cheap irons. Good luck and let us know how you do!

Building custom is fun and all, but I notice that the picture is configured illegally for MA. It looks like you have a bayo lug on there as well as a flash hider. so, if that is how you want it, then you're looking at getting a pre-ban lower, in which case you can forget about keeping it under 1k.

The only reason I point this out is that in MA you're going to pay a huge premium for a pre-ban gun, anew depending on the configuration and condition, it may not be a good idea to modify it, value-wise.

I prefer pre-ban simply because you don't have to worry about what you do to it, but they aren't cheap.

If I'm seeing wrong, apologies, ignore my post.

^^^ The plan is to go with a post-ban upper. That was just the only pic I could find.

I will entertain the thought of getting a pre-ban lower though. If they hold their value and are in demand I would not mind paying more as long as I can get my money back when if I sell it.

^^^ The plan is to go with a post-ban upper. That was just the only pic I could find.

I will entertain the thought of getting a pre-ban lower though. If they hold their value and are in demand I would not mind paying more as long as I can get my money back when if I sell it.

Hopefully they won't hold their value long term, but they almost definitely will for the short term.

Can you explain why I would have to take the compensator off? I would love an 18" but again they are more money than 16" & 20" so I have to pass.

Generally, pin-on gas blocks/FSB's won't always come off (or go back on) with a muzzle device attached, especially the bigger ones.

I see. That would make sense. Haha can you tell I have never taken apart an AR?

Yes. Hence why I mentioned it [smile]

I'm by no means a real expert, but I know the platform well enough to know which end goes where [laugh]. Feel free to ask any questions you have.

cabelas (ma compliant issues ???) has the M&P sport for 599.00 leaves you with a good junk for some glass and mounts.

FS has Stag and S&W M&P for $783, cash or check. This could be a good place to start.
Yea I saw that on their site. I REALLY want that Stag but apparently I wont be able to move the gas block. I wont settle for anything other than a dizzy so I guess its a no go :/

cabelas (ma compliant issues ???) has the M&P sport for 599.00 leaves you with a good junk for some glass and mounts.
This looks interesting, I dont see the "sport" anywhere on their website though. Maybe you could clue me in.

Back
Top Bottom