• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Striped Bass Regulations coming.

Hoping to find a fat girl to slurp my eel
Yesterday the ASMFC voted for a 25% reduction in overall harvest. They voted on several items , two key votes were an overall reduction in commercial harvest amounts coastwide and a 1 fish per day at 28" or greater (or a conservationally equivalent based plan) that can be voted on by individual states. So make sure you check your states current regulations beginning next year. Some states may hold to the 1@28" as ASMFC "science" figures this to be a 31% reduction in harvest but the door is open under the "conservation equivalent" clause.
Somehow their "science" points to 2 fish at 33" will be a 29% reduction in harvest. My mind is blown at that one but I would look for southern states and NJ to adopt that plan instead of 1@28" The new regulations apply to charter boats and recreational fisherman. Just be sure to check your regulations next year before heading out.

Once again the Recreational Fishermen take it in the ass.

The recs do far more damage to the stocks than commercial. At the public meetings the recs were in favor of a 1@32" regulation by a wide margin. We were asking for the reduction. The commercial quota was reduced by 25% next year all in one shot a redustion of approx 63,000 pounds coast wide.
Here is the original addendum with all proposals ,the public got together, voiced their opinions , and the committee still chose what they wanted instead of listening to the public.
http://www.asmfc.org/files/PublicInput/StripedBassDraftAddendumIV_PublicComment.pdf

Once again the Recreational Fishermen take it in the ass.

Just like with the herring moratorium a few years back. You can't tell me that a few hundred guys with zabiki rigs taking 2 or 3 herring on a Sunday morning for bait to live line for stripers in the river had that much impact on the total biomass of herring in general. The herring stock problem is due to conditions of the fish ladders falling apart and by catch of the commercial vessels......not a few weekend anglers using em for bait for a few weeks in the spring.

From talkingfish.org website 2012

"Recreational fishermen will lose important bait for many of their most prized saltwater fish, such as striped bass. Of course, this is not the end of river herring’s story. River herring are also caught in large numbers in ocean waters, mainly by industrial ships that fish for Atlantic herring, Atlantic mackerel and squid. Unlike state waters, there are no regulations on the catch of river herring in ocean waters. But, plans are underway to address ocean catch"

Are they too stupid to realize the herring at sea are being over harvested........not the weekend angler using too much bait?

Last edited:
You got it, but, Marine Fisheries will never admit it. **** ups, just like their sister organization of Fisheries and Wildlife. Make excuses and no plans to fix anything.

Wait till they lower the Cod quota AGAIN this year............that is some serious messed up shit right there. Up in Canada you can't even fish for Cod for your supper table since that whole fishery went to shit. But down here.......its only a matter of time before the charter boats take a whack and wont even be able to deep sea fish for cod recreationally. only....a....matter......of....time. And all the international vessels fishing JUST outside the economic exclusion zone will be raking the bottom of the sea for the last cod they can snag.....while the recreational charter boat captains in new England stand on shore holding their cocks wondering what the **** just happened. only....a....matter.....of.....time

Last edited:
After a year like this one, i'll settle on new reg's for a few years. Hopefully that is all this becomes, knowing this state though, I wouldn't be surprised if they went 1 striper at '33 and kept it permanent.

Wait till they lower the Cod quota AGAIN this year............that is some serious messed up shit right there. Up in Canada you can't even fish for Cod for your supper table since that whole fishery went to shit. But down here.......its only a matter of time before the charter boats take a whack and wont even be able to deep sea fish for cod recreationally. only....a....matter......of....time. And all the international vessels fishing JUST outside the economic exclusion zone will be raking the bottom of the sea for the last cod they can snag.....while the recreational charter boat captains in new England stand on shore holding their cocks wondering what the **** just happened. only....a....matter.....of.....time

Agree, it's brutal. Rec guys, charter guys and small fisherman get f'd, while factory ships whip out whole fisheries.

We were out tuna fishing off chatham and came across a huge patch of half dead stripers from a commercial boat that couldn't keep them I guess. looked like thousands of large stripers just floating on the surface. Never seen anything like it. I don't think its the rec. guys that are the problem.

Back
Top Bottom