New Sig P365 Owner - Ammo And IWB Holster Recommendations?

Went to a range a couple days ago and rented 5 small 9mm pistols looking for the best fit for my new carry gun. I have been carrying a snubbie for probably 9 or 10 years but decided I would feel a bit more comfortable with more rounds immediately available and a faster reload if needed.

As the title says, my choice was the Sig P365. It was the right size, fit my hand perfectly, has great sights, trigger was fine, shot really well, and finally, 10+1 capacity just put it way over the top for me!

If you have a P365, I would appreciate hearing about what carry ammo you like and what holster you like and would especially like to hear from those who pocket carry as that would be my desired mode of carry (snubbie is pocket carry). Also, regarding ammo, I will likely want a standard pressure round as I have severe arthritis in my wrists and had to switch to standard pressure rounds in the snubbie recently so I could stand shooting more than 1 cylinder full and have a meaningful practice session. Thanks in advance for your replies.

I order a PJ holster for every gun I own and purchase. They are the lightest and least obtrusive on the market. He ships quickly and they are very affordable.

Custom Kydex Handgun Holsters, IWB, OWB, and Pocket Holsters

I looked at these. the pocket ones look nice.

when i am not pocket carrying i like to IWB.
i got one like these with the single retaining clip for my p365, but the retaining clip is at the widest point. making it even wider!

i liked the ones with the two clips, one in front and one behind the gun. like the crossbreeds or alien gear.

G

I looked at these. the pocket ones look nice.

when i am not pocket carrying i like to IWB.
i got one like these with the single retaining clip for my p365, but the retaining clip is at the widest point. making it even wider!

i liked the ones with the two clips, one in front and one behind the gun. like the crossbreeds or alien gear.

G
For lighter pistols, like the Kahr PM9 and Sig P238, I use the J-hook for fast, easy on and off.

For heavier guns, like the G17, I use the Standard Single Thickness Clip on Loop. Still easy on/off, but the weight of the gun/holster is on the belt now, and not the waist of your pants.

Depends on the gun, but his holsters are the lightest and best IMO.

For ammo Federal HST's or Speer Gold dots are the gold standard right now. Maybe research the 147gr defensive loads? The slower velocity and heavier bullet might be easier on your wrists.

I plan to try a range of bullet weights and have noted several brands in 147gr seem to be good performers in both penetration and expansion, check out luckygunner.com for great info on select cartridge performance.

I don't have a P365 yet but I do have a P238 and I've been very happy with this.

"The Mini" Holster

It has an offset clip so it doesn't add more bulk to the thickest part. It's also adjustable for depth of concealment or if you want to carry appendix. Also the rough side out helps with keeping the holster in place. I had a very similar one from a small maker who went out of business. When the clip broke and I couldn't replace it, this was the next best thing.

I know you asked for feedback from someone who owns a P365 (I don’t yet but I will) but for pocket carry I think the Clinger Holster Comfort Cling is the best. I use it with my J frame Smith&Wesson 642 and my Ruger LC9S which are both close in size to the P365. I even bought a second one for my Taser Pulse which is slightly bigger than the other two guns but still works well in the Clinger. The holster is very well padded, doesn’t print, the gun always comes out without the holster, it’s very comfortable and cheap. As much as I try to like IWB I just keep going back to this holster with pocket carry. Check it out here Comfort Cling Holster

@OP - if you don't mind me asking which range did you rent from and how much do they charge? Do you have to use their ammo? I am looking to do the same thing.

Thanks.

@OP - if you don't mind me asking which range did you rent from and how much do they charge? Do you have to use their ammo? I am looking to do the same thing.

Thanks.
All ranges that rent firearms require you to use ammo from the store. They don't want folks putting cheap ammo or reloads in them. Not a big deal. I rented a P365 at my local range and a bock of range ammo from them. Magtech. I like it. If I get the P365 I may end up selling my P320 Subcompact conversion kit and keep my P320 in original full size config.

I don't have a P365 yet but I do have a P238 and I've been very happy with this.

"The Mini" Holster

It has an offset clip so it doesn't add more bulk to the thickest part. It's also adjustable for depth of concealment or if you want to carry appendix. Also the rough side out helps with keeping the holster in place. I had a very similar one from a small maker who went out of business. When the clip broke and I couldn't replace it, this was the next best thing.
Tucker Gun Leather doesn't make the mini for the p365. Which is too bad because it was a fantastic holster for my Khar PM9.
They offered up their deep carry line. Ended up getting the DC-2, but I haven't worn it enough to review yet.
DC-2-Coyote-IWB_Crop_Med-__01186.1534959489.jpg

I know you asked for feedback from someone who owns a P365 (I don’t yet but I will) but for pocket carry I think the Clinger Holster Comfort Cling is the best. I use it with my J frame Smith&Wesson 642 and my Ruger LC9S which are both close in size to the P365. I even bought a second one for my Taser Pulse which is slightly bigger than the other two guns but still works well in the Clinger. The holster is very well padded, doesn’t print, the gun always comes out without the holster, it’s very comfortable and cheap. As much as I try to like IWB I just keep going back to this holster with pocket carry. Check it out here Comfort Cling Holster

That does look good. Oh well whats another holster!!

G

Tucker Gun Leather doesn't make the mini for the p365. Which is too bad because it was a fantastic holster for my Khar PM9.
They offered up their deep carry line. Ended up getting the DC-2, but I haven't worn it enough to review yet.

That's crazy! I hope they plan to offer one because I hope to get a P365. Though I've also been eyeing aliengear for my first try at kydex

I've had my p365 for awhile now and absolutely love it. I run Federal HST 124gr and probably have 2-3 hundred rounds of that stuff down range with no issues. I've also run some wolf steel case Federal aluminum and Federal brass with no issues. As far as holsters I use an 2a holsters liberator for outside the waist and a M-tek holster for inside. Also a Aegis armory guardian trigger guard for miscellaneous carry purposes.

Thanks.

sorry, sbi I don't live in the Northeast anymore, just call some ranges and ask what they have to rent.

I use a blackpoint AIWB and use either 124 or 150 (micro) Grain HST's. I havent found the P365 to be ammo sensitive at all.
I've tested with 115/124 Ball, 124/P+ HST and Gold dots, 148 HST's and 150 Micro HST's
All were fine. 2500+ rnds with no hiccups on a gen 2 born march 2018. I only carried it for a month after about 1500 rounds then switched back to my g43 because reports of failures gave me the willies.
I'll probably pick up in march or april which i'll put 500-600 rounds through and then start carrying that. I'll keep the older one in my range bag for a practice gun and continue to rack up the round count until failure.

These look very similar to Garrett Industries' holsters which are also leather bonded to kydex/polymer. While I love that style, the hard kydex back is a bit uncomfortable.

I picked up my 365 on Friday and ordered a Vedder Light LightTuck™ Kydex IWB and an Alabama Holster pocket holster https://www.alabamaholster.com/product/front-pocket-holster/ from the gun shop parking lot. The Vedder is a tuckable kydex IWB w adjustable depth & cant. The Albama is a reat kydex pocket holster. Vedder product & service is phenomenal. Alabama product is best I have seen in kydex pocket but it takes weeks. With the size of the 365 a single clip kydex IWB is plenty sufficient IMO.

These look very similar to Garrett Industries' holsters which are also leather bonded to kydex/polymer. While I love that style, the hard kydex back is a bit uncomfortable.

I have a Springfield XDE which is a larger carry gun (DA/SA hammer fired w a decocker I use exclusively for AIWB). I ordered some foam squares w/ peel off adhesive backing from Amazon that I put on the lower half of an IWB kydex holster. It pushes the bottom of the holster away from the body a little when standing (making it more snug against the body up top) and it makes it noticeably more comfortable too.

I love crossbreed holsters with the matching belt.

For ammo in 9mm I might go with FMJ for the extra penetration. HST or gold dot short barrel is probably fine too. Just practice with whatever you carry.

I love crossbreed holsters with the matching belt.

For ammo in 9mm I might go with FMJ for the extra penetration. HST or gold dot short barrel is probably fine too. Just practice with whatever you carry.

There are so many holster recommendations that it's going to take some time to evaluate all of them and make a decision. After my last range trip where I tested 6 different defensive loads, I think I have narrowed that selection down to a couple Federal HST loads or the Hornady Critical Defense 115 gr.

Back
Top Bottom