• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New SIG P322

I just purchased a new sig p322. Got to the range today to test it out and couldn’t get the gun to cycle a round after 50 rounds of CCI mini mag 40gr. My hands were not impeding the slide. I loaded it with the factory mag loader making sure everything was kosher. Ideas??

As Rick said, Mini Mags are very reliable. They are typically the go to .22 rounds for competition when you absolutely need them to work. That being said, 22 is finicky as far as cleanliness goes. Clean the gun and magazines thoroughly and use minimal lubricant. There may be some type of preservative lube that the gun and magazines were shipped from the factory with that is causing some stiction, and just a little is enough to foul things up.

Failure to eject and feed may be the gun short stroking. That could be due to lack of power from the ammo, but as stated earlier, CCI Mini Mags are known to be reliable. Clean it well and report back.

There is fail to extract (spent case left in chamber) and fail to eject (spent case in way of new round). Here is where a buddy with the same gun can help you test your mags, recoil spring and upper. It's not uncommon for firearms to ship that have issues. I would call Sig and get the ball rolling for a return for repair.

Try using something else like Federal high velocity or Aguila. The 322 is a picky SOB & for some reason while using Minimags you get double the amount of malfunctions

Try using something else like Federal high velocity or Aguila. The 322 is a picky SOB & for some reason while using Minimags you get double the amount of malfunctions
Caution on Aguila (and possibly others). They come with a waxy coating which causes malfunctions. This coating can be removed by tumbling with fresh walnut media. Afterwards, they work just fine.

Caution on Aguila (and possibly others). They come with a waxy coating which causes malfunctions. This coating can be removed by tumbling with fresh walnut media. Afterwards, they work just fine.
Never been an issue in my Taurus TX22. Literally have run north of 7k rounds of Aguila (super extra copper plated stuff) through it.

I would disassemble, clean, lube it wet, and run some stingers or velocities or any hot 22 for 1-200 rounds. Then disassemble, clean and light lube and try again. It could be just a breaking in issues, my guess is short stroking due to factory funk and some typical 22 carbon crap.

If after breaking it in wet with some hot ammo doesn’t fix the issue, off to SIG she goes.

I put several hundred rounds of mixed ammo through my Sig including Mini Mags and I only had one failure to eject with the CCI Blazers, I never even cleaned it before hitting the range.

I put several hundred rounds of mixed ammo through my Sig including Mini Mags and I only had one failure to eject with the CCI Blazers, I never even cleaned it before hitting the range.
My hasn’t been cleaned in a few years 22/45 eats blazer 22 all day. Mini mags, short cycle every other mag.

Pretty sure it’s an ‘I’m not cleaning this f***ing thing’ issue.

Thanks everyone. Cleaned and lubed last night. I’m not expecting any change as it was clean and lubed before shooting but I’ll give it another go this weekend and try to report back.

I don't have this particular pistol but have been following a lot of threads about it. One thing that stood out was that great care needs to be used when loading the mags. I guess it's easy to not stack the rounds properly, leading to failures.

No optics, not CCI quiets. Went back to the range today in the rain… 150 rounds, all had to be manually cycled… a guy who was there had a couple 22 rounds rolling around his bag but didn’t know what they were. both had enough zip to help the gun fire as it should…. Guess I’ll be looking for a different ammo option and potentially a new home for a ton of 40gr CCI mini mag 22lr

No optics, not CCI quiets. Went back to the range today in the rain… 150 rounds, all had to be manually cycled… a guy who was there had a couple 22 rounds rolling around his bag but didn’t know what they were. both had enough zip to help the gun fire as it should…. Guess I’ll be looking for a different ammo option and potentially a new home for a ton of 40gr CCI mini mag 22lr
Just for the hell of it, I would run a few of the mini mags you are using through a chronograph, If they are up to spec there is no reason why they shouldn't be cycling the slide

Maybe you got a bad batch of ammo???
Both of my P322's (and Taurus TX22's for that matter) seem to feed just about anything.

More reliable than the sig mosquito? Just about anything is.
It has been in storage for many years. I put it away and never looked back.

Last edited:
Took mine out again today and went thru 100 rounds of Blazer and 50 rounds of Federal Champion 40gr.

400 rounds total at this point and 2 failure to fires. Both looked like good contact was made so I’m blaming the ammo.

I had this issue with another. 22lr , when I used the small rodent ammo, it didn't have enough power to load the next round... when I used official normal .22lr , never had another issue again. Also. The mp15-.22Lr must be very wet to operate. Minimal lube will not cut it. Everyone told me to keep it wet and I finally listened and then all my problems went away. The lube helps it operate since. 22lr is a weak round.

Just picked up a P322 for a range blaster and trainer. Love it! I was given ~2K CCI Mini Mag 'seconds' and ran a few mags worth at the range plus gave it to a couple other guys to check out. Zero problems and accurate.

Just picked up a P322 for a range blaster and trainer. Love it! I was given ~2K CCI Mini Mag 'seconds' and ran a few mags worth at the range plus gave it to a couple other guys to check out. Zero problems and accurate.
Now you have to get an Armory Craft trigger to make that fine gun even better.

Now you have to get an Armory Craft trigger to make that fine gun even better.
[laugh] Oh great, now I have to spend money on another gun upgrade. Actually I think the P322 trigger is slightly better than your typical Glock, but that's not saying much. All striker fired triggers suck donkey huevos, some just suck with less force.

Jokes aside, I appreciate the tip and will check them out.

Back
Top Bottom