• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Sig 1911

Northshore firearms has on their website that the new Sig Sauer 1911 will be coming shortly and is Mass Compliant. Anyone hear anything about them????

I just called Sig Customer service and asked the Rep did some checking and informed me he just found out they are going to be selling 1 model in Ma , The 5 inch stainless target model with adjustable night sights. YMMV

What new 1911 is Sig making?

edit: I see it now. Not a bad price. Though the Sig 1911 GSR has been on the EOPS list for quite sometime. Not sure why more shops don't sell it in MA...

Last edited:
It's a Series 80 style 1911, with a firing pin safety that is controlled by the trigger. That is viewed by some as more reliable than the Swartz-style firing pin safety used by S&W. The downside of the Series 80 is that it is a little harder for a gunsmith to get a good trigger pull.

SIG had been having significant problems early on with their 1911s. I haven't kept track of it in a long time, so I don't know if they've solved those problems. You might try going to the SIG forums.

I just called Sig Customer service and asked the Rep did some checking and informed me he just found out they are going to be selling 1 model in Ma , The 5 inch stainless target model with adjustable night sights. YMMV

A target gun with adjustable night sights.... That means $75-$100 more retail just for the f'ing sights. Forget about the price bump for the target version by itself. I love how for our consumer protection this is being done. F you croakley!

I saw that post on their site too. Kind of intriguing although I'm having a hard time finding reviews for it.

I saw that post on their site too. Kind of intriguing although I'm having a hard time finding reviews for it.

As M1911 said, there have been issues. Some of which may have been worked out by now. There was one brought to a shoot in NH and it had to be retired mid day. I missed out on shooting it but I was able to handle it. It seemed very sig in it's construction. Quality mfg with attention to detail in other words. But that still doesn't stop them from having first round design issues.

I would checked in with Dennis and Shelly at First Defense Firearms in Uxbridge for price and availability.....

I've had the Revolution Target for about 9mo now. It's the same as the one that's now MA compliant.

IMO, it's very well put together. The slide fit is quite tight and the parts are all good quality, no MIM. The only problems I've had were some feeding issues early on which was probably a too tight extractor. It also wouldn't feed Fed HST though it will feed Winchester Ranger. I haven't tried any other JHP rounds. For me though, it's just a range queen so ball ammo is all that matters.

Anyway, I like it and it's good to have another choice (even if it just hurt my resale value).

SIG's ETA on these was a bit... well, SIGish.

I plan on picking one up, looking forward to it. ABOUT TIME!

thanks for your review. FS just sent out an email with this bad boy in it and I hopped on here looking for more info. Your timing is impecable [smile]

No problem and you're welcome to run a few magazines though it at HSC sometime.

I picked up my Sig 1911 in Nitron from FDF last night (I posted the pic over in the new acquisitions thread). I will freely admit to being a 1911 newb, so Dennis kindly showed me the breakdown, care and reassembly of the weapon. One thing I will say for it, it is put together tight! Maybe a little too tight, or just right to be broken in? I can't wait to get some range time, and will be sure to post my thoughts when I do.

I picked up my Sig 1911 in Nitron from FDF last night (I posted the pic over in the new acquisitions thread). I will freely admit to being a 1911 newb, so Dennis kindly showed me the breakdown, care and reassembly of the weapon. One thing I will say for it, it is put together tight! Maybe a little too tight, or just right to be broken in? I can't wait to get some range time, and will be sure to post my thoughts when I do.

Tight is better than loose.

Better for a stainless gun to start off tight, it will (almost) invariably loosen with use and time. just my opinion, ymmv. I like the looks of the SIG 1911, but I am in the middle of too many of my own 1911 projects at present and don't really have a burning desire for another government model. Now a 6", on the other hand, I am in the market for.

I had a Sig C3 GSR Revolution. It is the only firearm I have sold.

I bought it used here on NES with 500-1000 rounds down the pipe.

On the positive side I liked the build quality. It felt good in my hand. I liked the trigger.

But it had feeding problems. If i cleaned it things would be good for a bit. But then it would fail to feed. I tried different ammo, different magazines and a few tips and tricks picked up on the internet.

Then I bought a S&W Scandium 1911 and just liked it so much better. Great fit in my hand, great shooter. So I traded the Sig (with full disclosure of the feeding problems to the buyer).

I've since picked up a S&W Performance Center 1911... and it has the most fantastic trigger and build quality. It is a monument to design and craftsmanship. And, yes, I kept the 1911 Scandium too. They both have a purpose in my collection.

Sorry, Sig, but I think you missed the mark on this one.

Rich

I am of course hoping that the feeding issue has been resolved, but I will be sure to let you know. ;)

I read on the Sig forum that the early production models did have some feeding problems. But most of the guys are saying that it's been corrected.
http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/7140079202?r=7140079202#7140079202

I called Four Seasons and they had a few but quickly sold out. The guy I sopke with asked me if I was interested in a blue or stainless model when a new supply comes in. [grin]

So I put about 100 rounds through the Sig today, and it did quite nicely at 50' on the outdoor range. Zero issues. I ran PMC 230gr FMJ, Remington UMC 230gr FMJ and some Federal Hydra-Shok 185gr +P (which is sweet stuff! [smile]). I tell yeah, loading the last two rounds FMJ in a mag full of +P can throw you for a loop. It went from BANG to pop.

Even though the trigger is a bit heavy, I preferred it to my USP 45 and Glock 30's. I was most accurate with the Sig, but the HK's sights may be a bit off (I was shooting the G30 @ 50' better than the USP!).

Back
Top Bottom