• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Shotgunner looking for first O/U

This site s a great resource. I shot a shotgun (first gun ever) this past winter and was very quickly hooked. I live in Boston and just applied for my Class A LTC, passed the Moon Island test and am awaiting a license. Very much looking forward to buying my first shotgun and joining a local club or two to shoot sporting clays, 5 stand, etc.

Not having a ton of experience and reading so much about gun fit, how does someone properly select a shotgun? I am thinking of shelling out for a new or used (lower end) Beretta (686) or Browning (citori/cynergy) but don't want to buy one only to then try another and realize it was a better "fit." I have shot and liked a Browning cynergy but how do I know I won't like a Beretta more?

Do any local clubs have a range of guns that newbies can try-out? Any other ideas for finding the right gun?

Thangs very much

Last edited:
You could simply apply to the club in your area that you have your eye on, and ask the local members about their sporting-clay shoots, and if you could be a guest at one of the shoots. There is zero doubt that everyone there would be more than happy to let you try their gun.

+1

I loan out my Cynergy all the time to folks who ask. I have never seen some one turn down a person who asks to shoot their gun when shooting clays especially if they are looking to buy one.

Get to a club with a clays range and start to go regularly. When you do you will find there are a ton of folks willing to let you try their guns.

I'm going to suggest that you look at the Remington Spartan line. I've got one of their 28" O/U 12 gauge for trap and it works like a charm and won't bust your bankroll. If you like shooting trap, you an easily sell it and get something even nicer but, honestly, everyone who has tried my Spartan has loved it. I've used it for hunting, too. Just a suggestion.

Rome

Join a club and ask to try guns I always let someone try mine and others have always let me try theirs. Go to the gun shops and handle as many o/u 's as you can. The only o/u I would stay away from and this IMHO is the Ruger red label. Are you just going to be shooting sporting clays and 5 stand or are you going to be trying trap and skeet? Have you thought of a semi auto the Berreta Al 391 is a nice semi auto I would sugguest trying.

I shot my 870 express for 2 years as I saved and decided to buy a dedicated trap gun( citori ultraXT trap) TRY TRY TRY as many guns as you can. All but the most high end gunners just say here try mine. After a while you will get a feel for guns that just seem to feel/shoot better than others naturally or right off the shelf. For me this was Browning Citori. They just seem to work for me. As I shot better and progressed I learned more about gun fit, shot patterns, chokes ect ect. I ended up with a Browning Ultra XT 30" O/U later fitted with a precission fir stock http://www.precisionfitstocks.com/ far cheaper than a custom fit stock and can be changed as your shooting may change. Gain weight, loose weight ect ect. Also you need only buy a new grip piece if you change gun model. They make them for most of the common trap models. I shoot lefty and this was an affordable way to have a gun that fits. The recoil reduction is a bonus.

If you are looking to buy a cheap (sub 1K) over and under make sure you check the barrel regulation first. Cheaper O/U often have a problem where both barrels don't fire to the same point of aim. I bought a Mossburg Silver reserve where the bottom barrel shoots 2" low and 1" left at 13 yards! Shoot low impact slugs through cylinder chokes at a 13 yard target to check.

I'd save my money and look at used Browning Citori's or Cynergy's. I think there is a Cynergy on the board for $1200-$1300 right now.

Shotgun shooting is all about gun fit. Go to a gunshop where there is a shotgun shooter behind the counter. They will help you way more than any of us.
A $10,000 gun won't hit any more clays than a $300 one unless it fits correctly.

I would take an AL391 over any cheap O/U any day. If you really want an O/U, I think you're on the right track looking at 686s, maybe even the lower-end 687s.

I would take an AL391 over any cheap O/U any day. If you really want an O/U, I think you're on the right track looking at 686s, maybe even the lower-end 687s.

I agree with this, the only difference is I am a 390 guy. While the Beretta OU's are nice don't discount an older Citori. They are great shotguns and can sometimes be had pretty cheap (800 or so). As far as gun fit goes fitting a new autoloader is a matter of changing shims for cast and drop. A OU is a matter of bending and shaving wood. It is pretty expensive and now it is getting harder to find people that do it.

j39tt18.jpg

This model of the AL391 is available at most Dick's Sporting Goods for under $1000 - it will kick any cheap O/U's arse.

Looks like they also have some promotions running for free accessories.

Last edited:
Shotgun shooting is all about gun fit. Go to a gunshop where there is a shotgun shooter behind the counter. They will help you way more than any of us.
A $10,000 gun won't hit any more clays than a $300 one unless it fits correctly.

This is the biggy - BIG +1.

Talk to a good shotgun guy to get what I proper fit should look/feel like. Try everything you can lay your hands on for models in your budget. After that, decide and then get it tweaked if needed. I only own 1 shotgun to play trap with but I found an old Weatherby Olympian that fit me right. I don't have to fight the gun when shouldering it - it just lines up where it should.

Joe R>

Thanks for all the advice. Can anyone recommend a good shop to go and try mounting some guns with some knowhow behind the counter?

Thanks again.

Thanks for all the advice. Can anyone recommend a good shop to go and try mounting some guns with some knowhow behind the counter?

Thanks again.

Depends...

Cabelas in Hartford or Scarborough have a good selection and some decently knowledgeable guys behind the counter. One of the guys at the Dick's in Dedham knows his shotguns really well. Most of the dedicated gun stores don't seem to have a lot of new shotguns to choose from, though.

Cole's gunsmithing in Harpswell, ME is the last word in shotguns in the Northeast. Be prepared to spend major $, though.
http://colegun.com/

I hate to use this phrase but,This. Rich Cole and his whole staff is outstanding. Even if you don't want to buy from him maybe you can set up an appointment for a fitting. I have purchased a bunch of things for my Beretta 390's over the years, including a EELL stock set, and dealing with them has always been an absolute pleasure.

Back
Top Bottom