• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New shotgun/ammo question

Okay, just picked up my first shotgun. Remington 870 Express Super Magnum, in RealTree Camo. Came with 3 chokes, mod, full and extra full. I later read that all 870 model barrels are interchangeable except on the Express Super Magnum. I was hoping to hunt deer with sabot slugs, but I thought you could not shoot slugs out of a smooth barrel? If I get a rifled choke can I shoot slugs? Or can you buy rifled slugs?

Just shoot rifled slugs out of your gun with the modified choke in. You can shoot sabots but your groups will suck unless you buy a rifled barrel.

Take Mike's advice......Sabot slugs are like 3-4 times more expensive then plain old rifle slugs....and way more finicky. My 11-87 with the rifled barrel, wouldn't shoot remington sabot's for ass, winchester's sabot's were OK, Luckily, Hornady's sabots were awesome. But at 10 -12 dollars a box it took me a long time and lots of $$$ to figure that one out. (I scratched my head with the Remingtons sabots for a long time......almost considered taking the gun back cause I had groups that sucked so bad)

Meanwhile, 3 dollar a box, rifled slugs out of my 870 smoothbore were hitting just as good at the same distance.

Back
Top Bottom