New Shooter Challenge to NES

Along with all of you shooters in MA, I feel your pain and frustration of living in this oppressive state. Often tempted to flee to a neighboring free state, I keep coming back to the reality that Massachusetts is my home. I love this state and I am determined to fight it out.

Yes we have the pending lawsuits against Healey and Baker (which are great) and we should continue donating to GOAL / Comm2A / NRA, but I am convinced that what we need is a culture change and no lawsuit will achieve that. I think there is a more sustainable, long term strategy that we should all actively be working.

Therefore, I am issuing a challenge to you folks on NES to introduce a new person to shooting at least once a quarter and urge other shooters to do the same. Would that be too hard to do?

We were all a new shooter at one point too, and owe a great deal to that person who took a chance and invited us to the range.

You may think that shooting is taboo in MA, but if you just ask people if they would be interested going to the range sometime, you may be surprised who says yes!

Just a few years ago, I could care less about guns and the 2A until a friend invited me to go shooting. All it took was one trip to the range and I was in.

Last weekend, I took a single mom and her 18 year old son shooting and they had a blast. As soon as they got home they both immediately printed off their application for an FID. Small investment on my part , HUGE return in the long run!

So many other examples, but you get the point.

THINK BIG, START SMALL, Invite someone to the range and report back!

Last edited:
Also, please don't turn this into a "how to" thread. That is already covered elsewhere.

Be safe and have fun!

I have been doing this fir years. Its not easy
I even offer to fund a match or 3 a year for someone wanting to try. Money is not as easy to come by lately so i have not been doing any of the CMP karma
Although its often frustrating that so little people take you up on a offer. I have offered just about anyone I know free range days.
but yes when you can bring a newbie

Did this with 2 people last year at work, both now have LTC-A no restrictions. Working with a 3rd right now. I also tell them to stay, active and keep on their reps, support GOAL, Comm2A etc..

Took my life long friend two weeks ago. Had him try two different AR's, Keltec and a bunch of handguns. The guy is hooked and is going back this weekend with me. Luckily his wife is former Military so she understands the cost/addiction.

Now if I could get some of my co-workers to try it out that would be ideal.

Better than 50% of the people I work with already own firearms , my quest is to get as many as I can to join GOAL or Comm2a . To support those that fight for us everyday . I also invite as many as want to go to the range with me, and to join as members. Seems no one asks these younger guys to join a club.

Buddy of mine pulled me in. My brother and I pulled my grandmother and mother in LOL! Two people who were terrified of guns, looking to get their LTC now.

I've got every member of my immediate family (sister and parents) owning guns. My mom has been in the middle when it comes to pro and anti gun so it was a big deal to get her to buy a gun. I also have a few friends that recently got their LTC's but just need to buy a gun soon.

Along with all of you shooters in MA, I feel your pain and frustration of living in this oppressive state. Often tempted to flee to a neighboring free state, I keep coming back to the reality that Massachusetts is my home. I love this state and I am determined to fight it out.

Yes we have the pending lawsuits against Healey and Baker (which are great) and we should continue donating to GOAL / Comm2A / NRA, but I am convinced that what we need is a culture change and no lawsuit will achieve that. I think there is a more sustainable, long term strategy that we should all actively be working.

Therefore, I am issuing a challenge to you folks on NES to introduce a new person to shooting at least once a quarter and urge other shooters to do the same. Would that be too hard to do?

We were all a new shooter at one point too, and owe a great deal to that person who took a chance and invited us to the range.

You may think that shooting is taboo in MA, but if you just ask people if they would be interested going to the range sometime, you may be surprised who says yes!

Just a few years ago, I could care less about guns and the 2A until a friend invited me to go shooting. All it took was one trip to the range and I was in.

Last weekend, I took a single mom and her 18 year old son shooting and they had a blast. As soon as they got home they both immediately printed off their application for an FID. Small investment on my part , HUGE return in the long run!

So many other examples, but you get the point.

THINK BIG, START SMALL, Invite someone to the range and report back!

We all need to do this. I have a standing principle that anytime I have a conversation with a co worker friend relative acquaintance old school buddy.....Whoever......If the coversation turns toward guns (it's pretty easy for me to lead into that as I hunt alot and people ask me about that) I offer to take them shooting anytime Im there.....Ammo is on me. I've taken 4 people in about a year. 2 of them now have licenses. It's pretty easy really.

This is a great idea.
Ironically, the trump presidency was the tipping point to my leftie wife green-lighting me getting back into shooting/ownership.
While still waiting for my LTC, I've already got plans to teach my sons (11/14), my wife and two business friends.

Of the two classes I've taken at Sig Academy so far, at least 50% of the people were new/renewed interest in shooting.
The diversity of the classes was eye-opening and I may sign my wife into women's class for her birthday (beats a vacuum right? LOL) based on how well Sig instilled confidence and skills into fearful noobs.

My Glenfield 25 got chopped down to 9" length of pull this morning. It is about time my oldest stepped up from the pellet gun to a .22. She is super excited and so am I. Can't wait for our date tomorrow!

IMG_4841.jpg

IMG_4848.jpg

IMG_4850.jpg

Last edited:
I'm willing to donate my time and my MGs to introduce new to people to full-auto goodness. But it would have to be in NH. Due the green card mess in this state. Assuming you guys want to do some sort of organized event beyond taking friends and family to a local range. Keep me in mind!

Last edited:
My Glenfield 25 got chopped down to 9" length of pull this morning. It is about time my oldest stepped up from the pellet gun to a .22. She is super excited and so am I. Can't wait for our date tomorrow!

View attachment 192384

View attachment 192385

View attachment 192386

So Awesome! I have Model 25 that I bought 46 years ago when I was 14 (the gun store owner called my dad to make sure it was ok with him [laugh]...it was a different time and place back then). I have taught all five of my kids, and also grandkids, those that are old enough, to shoot with that little rifle. In it's lifetime, it's probably shot more than a 1/2 million rounds through it. No longer a tack driver but it still holds it's own on the range...

So last fall, my wife and I took a friend to AFS for Shoot Back at Cancer.. cancer survivor herself.. first time shooting.. scared, but she enjoyed the fun.

I got text today from her that she's paid for the BFSC at AFS on 4/8 for her LTC, using the Groupon.. :)

Mission accomplished [smile]

Took my friend shooting a while ago. He loved it, and asked me to go again. He still voted for Hillary. I didn't take him again.

I persuaded an anti once. He went through with the licensing BS and bought a Sig.
Took him to the range once or twice.
his brain is still damaged. I'm done with him.

Back
Top Bottom