New Serpa Holster

I had a question... Just picked up a Serpa for my Sig 229. I am used to carrying the 229 with one in the pipe. I usually carry with a Bianchi leather holster with a thumbbreak that covers the hammer. I am concerned about carrying this way with the Serpa for fear that the hammer will get snagged and will cause a ND. Are my concerns warranted, or is there no way that this could happen. If this has been addressed before I apologize beforehand.

Thanks....

Sigs (modern ones anyway) have a firing pin block safety that blocks the firing pin from moving until the trigger is pulled back about 1/3 or 1/2 the way. Just de-cock and holster and you're good.

EDIT:

Check out the diagram on page 26 here: http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/sig_p220to245.pdf

Take a look at how the trigger is attached to the trigger bar (part #22 in the diagram,) and how the trigger bar connects to the safety lever (#28.) Also note how the firing pin block (#13) fits into the notch in the firing pin. As the trigger is pulled, the trigger bar moves forward. This moves the safety lever which pushes the firing pin block up against the firing pin block spring, thus releasing the firing pin and allowing it to move forward when the hammer hits it.

Last edited:
Id be more concerned with not being able to draw the gun if you need it.

Yes, you may miss the locking lever and give yourself a super wedgie.

A number of self defense courses are banning the Serpa holster.

Yeah their garbage. Ive seen them jam up, and not be able to get the gun out. Thats enough for me to not use one.

Thanks guys, good to know. Any alternative suggestions? (Keep in mind that some PDs require some sort of retention mechanism.)

Thanks guys, good to know. Any alternative suggestions? (Keep in mind that some PDs require some sort of retention mechanism.)

I use Blade-Tech, they make the best holsters in my opinion. If you need retention go with Safariland.

Yeah their garbage. Ive seen them jam up, and not be able to get the gun out. Thats enough for me to not use one.

The single retention - or triple retention duty holster? I love the single retention serpa. Can't imagine it jamming up

Yes, you may miss the locking lever and give yourself a super wedgie.

A number of self defense courses are banning the Serpa holster.

Some banned the Serpa since the first gens would put your finger inside the trigger guard after drawing which caused some to have accidents. They since fixed it and they are better now. I don't have any experience with the double or triple retention ones.

Some banned the Serpa since the first gens would put your finger inside the trigger guard after drawing which caused some to have accidents. They since fixed it and they are better now. I don't have any experience with the double or triple retention ones.

These bans are with the newer Serpa's too.

Back
Top Bottom