• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Safe going in, need accessory advice

PaulR

NES Member
This is going in a less than optimal / desirable space, subject to some decent temperature swings and moisture, so I want to be careful and do what I can to mitigate long term damage to my babies.

1) Concrete floor: Expansion bolts at the four corners, right?
2) Older safe no fire tape on door seal, need recommendations, ty.
3) Humidity control, I can run a cord into the safe for power, dehumidifier recommendations, ty.
4) Inside door is bare steel, pocket organizer suggestios, ty.
5) Lights?
6) Anything I'm missing before I get it up and running, ty.

🥸

You can get cheap LED light strips off amazon that you can run along the inside of your safe. I have mine connected to a switch on the outside to turn them on/off.

Golden rod to control humidity with a cheap humidity monitor off Amazon (I may actually have an extra rod PM me if interested and I can look).

I took all the pouches off my doors and put up magnet strips from Harbor Freight that I put my magazines and knives on.

Put it on a yoga mat or other thin rubber pad before bolting it to the ground. It will help prevent rust.

Put Anti-Sieze on the lug bolts before tightening it down. Someone in the future will thank you.
Never thought about the mat.

I made a platform for mine out of wood. Keeps it off the concrete but also lifts it about 5 inches. It’s not bolted down obviously.

Golden Rod

Rope of LED White Christmas lights. I got mine for cheap from Walmart after Christmas sales along with a cheap motion activated switch. Cost me less than $10 total

Another vote for Golden Rod. Works great in my safes.

Think about security as well. I installed a Wi-Fi puck in the safe. It detects movement, door opening/closing, temps etc and will text/email you with alerts. Also alerts you if the Wi-Fi goes down.

I like these, USB rechargeable and motion activated…

Homelife Rechargeable Led Lights,... Amazon product ASIN B07ZNH6T74View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZNH6T74?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I have those for my small ammo locker with no power nearby. Works well and lasts a decent amount of time between charges, but is annoying that once every couple months when it is dead. If he has power options, there are strip lights with motion sensors out there for the cheap that would do the same job without ever having to take them out to recharge.

Another vote for Golden Rod. Works great in my safes.

Think about security as well. I installed a Wi-Fi puck in the safe. It detects movement, door opening/closing, temps etc and will text/email you with alerts. Also alerts you if the Wi-Fi goes down.
No Golden Rods in mine but they are in conditioned spaces, not my basement or garage.
Liberty eAlert is in both of my safes. They work great.

Temperature control and dehumidification are critical. I recommend dehumidifiers in any basement regardless of whether it gets "wet" or if you are storing guns.
Concrete walls are natural condensers and especially in the transitional seasons (when the temperature at night is signifigantly colder than during the day) they will pull the water right out of the air and create an environment for mold and mildew.
If can happen very quickly especially if air flow is poor. A golden rod will increase the relative temperature of the inside of the safe and reduce condensation but still your best bet is also reduce the relative humidity of the space as well as figuring out a way to minimize large shifts of temperature from day to night.

My Golden Rod is 30 years old! I guess I better check it, it just should be warm to the touch right?
As a general process, every time I go into my safe I touch the golden rod to make sure it’s functioning.

I do have a battery-powered hygrometer but it lends itself more to OCD than actual utility.

I do want to add a non-electric dehumidifier as a backup if I lose electricity. Anyone have a two stage process? Considering mylar bags.

I run a dehumidifier in my basement too. I've had mold/mildew issues in other houses that seemed very dry in the basement. So now I just don't chance it.

I had an Eva Dry in my safe before. The things with the desiccant beads in it that you then plug in every now and then to dry back out. But I found that I kept forgetting to "re-charge" it for long periods. And it took up space.

Overthinking unless your gonna store for VERY long periods of time without a wipe down, or in a super humid environment.

I run a dehumidifier in the summer only in my basement. Never ran a golden rod inside the safe. Wipe down guns every 4 months or so...never a problem ever. Usually from use they get wiped down before that anyway.

Even with my safes that are in unconditioned/unheated places......never a problem with a regular semi seasonal wipe down.

Golden Rod is pretty cheap insurance. I wouldn’t leave my stuff to just a basement dehumidifier and occasionally wipedown.

But if in doubt get a hygrometer and measure.

Block sides w/ sheetrock, 5/8” rock is 1-hour rated and that is ALL that alleged ‘fire proof’ safes are lined with … of which they charge you $100s extra …

Make extra 2-panel movable piece to wedge against the front if/when going away.

Block sides w/ sheetrock, 5/8” rock is 1-hour rated and that is ALL that alleged ‘fire proof’ safes are lined with … of which they charge you $100s extra …

Make extra 2-panel movable piece to wedge against the front if/when going away.
There is a bright side.....

The homeowners insurance exclusion for firearms is usually a small limit for loss by theft or mysterious disappearance., however, they are often treated like normal household contents without an exclusionary limit for loss by fire, buildings collapsing on top of the guns; EMP destroying electronic based optics; etc. I would place greater priority on theft resistance than fire resistance.

Well of course one should go for theft resistance 1st … no debate there, duh …

But the safe is but only one part of the total security envelope, e.g., house alarm (including auto fire detection), alarm signage, perimeter lighting, motion lighting, independent alarm at or in the safe, premium deadbolts with 4” screws on a heavy hardened strike plate to the door frame, etc. yada yada …

You can’t keep them out, nor out of any safe that can be ‘peeled’ … but you sure can make it easier for them to go somewhere else!

Plan on a space for where the second safe goes while you are installing the first... :)
And the third because that is where I am now.

For lights I used Torchstar LEDs with the motion sensor. Been happy with them. You can also link up more lights if you need. They also come in a switched form which I use at my cleaning bench.

Amazon product ASIN B01FDAFC3QView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FDAFC3Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I used Pemko Silicon Seal for the door. Works as it should. I probably could have done the install better but its only for my ammo safe.

Amazon product ASIN B0083UVW2YView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083UVW2Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If there is motion in my safe then I am dead already!

It sounds like a big metal box. Here's a suggestion. Throw it away and buy a gun safe.

It's a gun safe, its just 45 years old. Carpeted and a rack for 36. Just nothing on the door yet, and no fire seal like modern safes.
Never heard of Goldenrod, :oops: will check it out.
Thanks for the advice everyone, I may go plug-in on the lights just because I can.

Put it on a yoga mat or other thin rubber pad before bolting it to the ground. It will help prevent rust.

Put Anti-Sieze on the lug bolts before tightening it down. Someone in the future will thank you.
I like using PVC trim to make standoffs. It gives a little air channel underneath safes and raises them above any minor flooding/wetness.

Never thought about the mat.

I made a platform for mine out of wood. Keeps it off the concrete but also lifts it about 5 inches. It’s not bolted down obviously.
Mine are not bolted down either. They are so heavy it would take 5 people to move it.

Back
Top Bottom