• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New S&W M&P15 NJ legal need help..

ok so i have this new rifle will shoot it wed.. but i have SO many questions...

1. the stock is fine for now.. but i want one as short as it will go pinned of course.. my really small g/f will be shooting the weapon and the length is really long now.. so how do i deal with this.. ive already started to take a look at how it works.. and it looks like even if i removed the pin.. slid it forward and repined everything it could still only go about an inch forward because the buffer tube? is longer than it should be..i would like to get an additional stock setup that is pinned in its shortest legal configuration.. i understand swapping stocks back and forth is not difficult? after reading a lot the tube dictates the style.. i read that my tube is mil spec... but do i need a shorted mil spec tube? a little confused on this..

2. i need iron sights as it came with only a reflex sight but i want to put my aimpoint on this and be able to co-witness.. so what iron sights are the right height to allow co-witness.. right now there is a bsa reflex sight.. don't know if this sight is garbage?

3. don't need right now but how do i determine what front hand guards will work with this weapon..

i think thats it for now.. thanks in advance...

1.) if you have the M&P15FT (which is the MA compliant version) the stock isnt really pinned. And the buffer tube is extra long specifically so you cannot make it any shorter. You would have to get a new stock and new receiver tube to accomplish what you want.

2.) Try and get the Troy sights. They come standard on the 'T' model and are fantastic.

3.) I think all front guards are the same. But you could probably order the S&W ones from S&W online...

hope that helps.

Go with YHM accessories.

Hello there

I have the M&P15OR (Optics Ready) and replaced the stock plastic handguard with a Yankee Hill Machine (YHM) carbine length forearm. The forearm has rails on all 4 sides and forms a continuous picatinny rail from the gas block to the upper receiver. The gas block has picatinny rails as well and seats the front sight.

For sights I used YHM flipup front and rear sights. Both will co witness with no problems.

YHM makes high quality products. They are made in the USA and YHM will install your accessories for free if you purchase from their website - www.yankeehillmachine.com. (No, I don't work for YHM [smile])

BTW, If you do go with YHM, dont forget to buy an end cap for the forearm. They give a very nice look and help keep debris out of the forearm.

The reason I didnt go with the M&P15T is because although the Troy forearm and sights are good products, I prefer to stay away from long forearms. The longer the forearm, the more it will flex when fitted with a bipod or rested on a shooting block. If your front sight is mounted on the forearm itself (and not on the gas block which is independant of the forearm), then any amount of flex will change your point of impact, and believe me, they do flex even though they are made of hardened aluminum. The flex will be greater with heavy barrel target guns.

One thing you might want to consider with forearms is whether or not you will (now or in the future) install a gas piston kit for your AR. Depending on which kit you go with - Adams arms, Osprey etc., your forearm will most likley not have enough clearance for the gas piston rod and will require milling on the inner 12 o'clock surface (if at all possible) to make a channel for the gas piston rod. You'll save yourself a ton of $$, time and frustration if you think about this before your purchase.

Shoot safe

Sniper

Last edited:
sniper,
What you are saying doesn't make sense.
1. Only NON-free floated rails will affect the barrel. The length of a rail is irrelevant, although the formula for torgue is Force X Lever arm, it would not
be any more easier difficult to force a POI shift on a 9" vs a 7" rail.
2. One should NOT mount any sighting devices on NON free floated rail due to POI shift anyway, although some people do and they work OK.
3. When shooting off-hand, the longer fore arms allows you to grip the weapon further away, increasing recoil control.

OP:
Assuming you have a standard carbine gas system, you can use any carbine length (7") handguards. This should leave the gas block exposed for you to mount a sight, if you want.

While it's easy to swap collapsible stocks on a standard (pre-ban) AR, I doubt the same is true for fixed collapsible stocks. Your best bet maybe to find a quality fixed stock, or get a collapsible stock and pin it in a position that is comfortable for you and your gf.

You need to find out if your gas block is "gas block height" or "rail height". Based on that, you can get a fixed for flip up front sight. Any rear sight would work.
BSA is not considered the best red-dot. If it works for you and you don't want to spend $300+ for an Aimpoint, leave it.

Don't worry about gas piston.

thanks guys..

i went with a DD omega front rail..

an arfx-e stock for my gf...

and im now in the process of trying to decide what stock ill get..
i am going to get some adjustable and pin it..

im having a problem finding a carbine length buffer tube in stock... any help?

and any suggestions on a stock would be appreciated as well..

thanks guys..

i went with a DD omega front rail..

an arfx-e stock for my gf...

and im now in the process of trying to decide what stock ill get..
i am going to get some adjustable and pin it..

im having a problem finding a carbine length buffer tube in stock... any help?

and any suggestions on a stock would be appreciated as well..

Check out Magpul for stocks. If you can find one...

Back
Top Bottom