• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New S&W M&P Bodyguard Range Review

AM13 I have an M&P Bodyguard and like it a lot. Nice size, reliable so far and I find the trigger fine for the pistols intended purpose. I have a sticky holster for pocket carry and a Holster Pro OWB clip on leather holster for under a coat or sweatshirt. See if you can find someone close to you with one to try out.

Last edited:
I got the MagGuts for my 9 Shield in the mail today. Even though I haven't shot through them yet, they're very solid and were easy to install.

As soon as I can find any vendor that isn't out of stock of BG MagGuts, I'll order a few.

AM13 I have an M&P Bodyguard and like it a lot. Nice size, reliable so far and I find the trigger fine for the pistols intended purpose. I have a sticky holster for pocket carry and a Holster Pro OWB clip on leather holster for under a coat or sweatshirt. See if you can find someone close to you with one to try out.

I did fire one once about a year ago with a stock trigger. I didnt mind it, i guess im used to F'ed up S&W triggers, but wanted to know how the reliability has need with the trigger kit

I got the MagGuts for my 9 Shield in the mail today. Even though I haven't shot through them yet, they're very solid and were easy to install.

As soon as I can find any vendor that isn't out of stock of BG MagGuts, I'll order a few.

Whaaat? I didn't know they had one for the shield. Now may have to go order some

Last edited:
My BG380 (not M&P) has over 700 rounds through it. 0 FTF, 0 FTE. It's cleaned and lubed after every other range trip.

Still hate the trigger, still carry it, still shoot at least 3 magazines, every range trip.

Shoot at least 3 mags with my PM9 too, since they are my 2 alternating EDC guns.

This for me too, closer to 2K rounds, have had a couple of FTE but I think it was the ammo. I still don't like the trigger pull though either. I like it because it's a comfortable and easy ankle carry and can also throw it in my Scotvest pocket.

I did fire one once about a year ago with a stock trigger. I didnt mind it, i guess im used to F'ed up S&W triggers, but wanted to know how the reliability has need with the trigger kit

I have not modified the trigger on mine so no help there. On my M&P 9C I had the trigger spring changed to the "normal" stock spring, quick and easy with much improved pull weight. I will have to find out if I can have something similar done to my BG.

3RD FOLLOW-UP on the S&W M&P Bodyguard

FOLLOW-UP

This is the 4th time to the range with this bodyguard. The second & third time I did not document.

On the 2nd, 3rd & this time I had very similar results to the FIRST time:

ALL shooting was done at 50 Feet with group sizes averaging 9-11 inches

A) MagTech FMJ (15) Flawless Rounds
B) Black Talon (10) Flawless Rounds
C) Hornady C.D. (30) Flawless Rounds

On the Next (3) Brands I keep finding a few hard primers (NOT light strikes) Each had a full strike on the primer, but due to hard primer it required a second strike.

D) Tula (15) Rounds 2 hard primers
E) PPU (15) Rounds 2 hard primers
F) Sellier & Belot (15) Rounds 4 hard primers

Both MagTech & Carry Ammo shoot fine, it is only with cheaper target brands I seem to find some hard primers.

Before bringing it to the range I (personally) installed a Galloway Short Trigger Kit & Williams Fire Sights...
The shorter trigger I like much more & the sights are a big improvement.

I am happy with the S&W M&P Bodyguard & Trust it's function and accuracy with "Carry Ammo"

View attachment 110971 View attachment 110972

This will be my final Follow-Up, unless I modify the firearm in anyway "OR" If I develop any issues.

I have now been to the range with this
S&W M&P Bodyguard a total of 8 times (only 1st,4th & 8th documented)

I have put about
1000 rounds through this "Tiny Pocket Sized Pistol" without any real firearm issues!

The MORE it is shot, the better it feels (considering the type of pistol).

Today I fired
150 rounds of MagTech .380acp FMJ 95 grain. With absolutely NO issues!!!

The distance I shot at was 25 feet (100rds) with an average of 5-6" groups

and (50rds) at 15 feet with group averages at 3.5-4" In previous reviews I had no choice but to shoot at 50 feet!

At the range I brought it to today (M.F.S.), you "choose" your shooting distance.

A pistol such as this although capable of greater distances (
200 YARDS w/ Jerry Miculek his link added)

was designed to concealed carry and close quarter shooting.

https://youtu.be/bS4p8j87EdA

BGtrigger.jpg BGsights.jpg BG380 top.jpg 3 grip back.jpg
Pic #1 Galloway Trigger.
Pic #2 Williams Fire Sights
Pic #3 A
dime on top of the slide to show how THIN the pistol is!
Pic #4 Size comparison of the
Bodyguard, Shield & Full Size M&P9

Last edited:
This for me too, closer to 2K rounds, have had a couple of FTE but I think it was the ammo. I still don't like the trigger pull though either. I like it because it's a comfortable and easy ankle carry and can also throw it in my Scotvest pocket.

Nice, I have about 4000 through mine now, still no issues.

I've been using my M&P BG380 as my EDC for around a year now. The past 2 times I've shot it, I had issues which makes me not so happy with it anymore. I have approximately 6-700 rounds through it. First off, I'm left handed. The past 2 times I shot it, my magazine has fallen out enough to not pick up the next round. At first, I thought maybe it was me accidentally pressing the magazine release with my middle finger which covers the magazine release. The next time I brought it shooting, I made sure to not do that, and it happened again. I'm not sure if it is the plastic magazine catch is getting worn out? I tried to replicate the grip angle it would require to accidentally drop the mag, and it didn't seem possible.

Thoughts?

BTW, I love this little gun. A lot of people hate it, but I don't care what they think... this really makes me sad [crying]

Last edited:
I've been using my M&P BG380 as my EDC for around a year now. The past 2 times I've shot it, I had issues which makes me not so happy with it anymore. I have approximately 6-700 rounds through it. First off, I'm left handed. The past 2 times I shot it, my magazine has fallen out enough to not pick up the next round. At first, I thought maybe it was me accidentally pressing the magazine release with my middle finger which covers the magazine release. The next time I brought it shooting, I made sure to not do that, and it happened again. I'm not sure if it is the plastic magazine catch is getting worn out? I tried to replicate the grip angle it would require to accidentally drop the mag, and it didn't seem possible.

Thoughts?

BTW, I love this little gun. A lot of people hate it, but I don't care what they think... this really makes me sad [crying]

I've replaced a few mags when I felt they weren't really 'seating' all the way in and find I really need to slam them home, haven't had any drop out though. I carry this every day and hate shooting it, lol.

Hi all. I too enjoy my non laser M&P bodyguard. FWIW, I've purposely left it IWB carry uncleaned for weeks just to see what would happen at the range. No failures so far. I do want to get a couple of spare mags with the pinky extension tho. Just a side note....my daughter thinks its too small....haha....she likes the full size 9 and the 590A1 with Magpul furniture better.

I just bought one a couple hours ago. Can't wait to bring it to the range and try it out. It feels pretty nice in the hand even considering how small it is.

Last edited:
Hi all. I too enjoy my non laser M&P bodyguard. FWIW, I've purposely left it IWB carry uncleaned for weeks just to see what would happen at the range. No failures so far. I do want to get a couple of spare mags with the pinky extension tho. Just a side note....my daughter thinks its too small....haha....she likes the full size 9 and the 590A1 with Magpul furniture better.

lol, I was telling northframingham I ankle carry this and it gets very dirty, sometimes when I shoot I'll have little fiery balls of lint shooting out too.

Back
Top Bottom