• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New S.a.a.m.i. stuff

Thought this was an interesting read, popped up this morning-

Kinda like U.S.P.S.A/ I.D.P.A/ production or Nascar rules.
Put it in production before its allowed in the races.

For the tl/dr crowd-
"Interestingly, the three new cartridges signal a growing trend in the firearms industry. High-performance rifle cartridges continue to drive the market. From long-range hunting to the explosive growth in long-range shooting and competition, companies continue to develop new loads, calibers and bullet technologies to meet that demand. "

Should be interesting to see what can be pushed for load data

I saw this too. Pretty cool that these companies can keep coming out with “New” cartridges all the time.
I’m not much of a rifle guy unless the cartridge is 100+ years old. I do like to see the trends and compare to late 1800s and early 1900s to watch the ebb and flow of what the shooting and hunting world is enamored with at the time.
I’m loving the focus on lever guns and can’t wait to see what Ruger has in mind. I’m also waiting for the next upswing of slow heavy hard hitting badass cartridges if it ever gets back to that.

I'm kind of surprised on the whole levergun aspect of things, that really the only improvement thats come out is the .350 legend.
Like why not a straightwalled cartridge that shoots 62 gr .223 and called it ".22 Centerfire Super Mag" or something like that
Or fitted it to something more recent like .30 carbine or .300 Hamr. or an RNFP version of .300 blk
Or if they want to stick to handgun loads then make a 10mm or a .500 or anything outside of the same old tired 38/357/44/45 stuff.

I'm kind of surprised on the whole levergun aspect of things, that really the only improvement thats come out is the .350 legend.
Like why not a straightwalled cartridge that shoots 62 gr .223 and called it ".22 Centerfire Super Mag" or something like that
Or fitted it to something more recent like .30 carbine or .300 Hamr. or an RNFP version of .300 blk
Or if they want to stick to handgun loads then make a 10mm or a .500 or anything outside of the same old tired 38/357/44/45 stuff.
I agree. There have been a few center fire 22 and 25 caliber cartridges over the years but most were black powder cartridges, some as long as the 45/70 to stuff enough BP to get performance.
I think nowadays a 22 mag sized center fire or a 25 hornet (straight) would be an awesome small game woods cartridge but I can’t really see anyone coming out with one commercially because 22 LR and 22 MAG have most of that covered.
I’m really excited about Ruger taking over Marlin just for that reason. They are trend setters with 32 and 10mm handguns. 480 Ruger revolvers and such.
I think they will have the balls to offer a rimless cartridge in the 1894 or beefed up version in 480 Ruger. Fingers crossed.

A rimless or semi rimmed 10mm, case length of 1.10, push a 200 gr and call it the "10mm mag" or 41 short and market it for 50 yd hog hunts or somethin.
Totally doable. They made 1894s in 41 mag in the past. There is also a 10MM magnum out there or there was at one point. Basically a slightly longer case loaded nice and warm for use in 610 revolvers that had their chambers reamed out deep.
I think if anything they will start with a 350 Legend or 10mm seeing as both are hot stuff right now and I think either of them would work in the 1894. You might want a 336 action for the 350 legend but I’m not sure.

I would also like to see something outside of the conventional straightwall handgun stuff. Its worn out and overdone.
350 legend looks rimless.
Apply that design or technology to rimless handgun cartridge made in the past 40 years and it opens up a whole new market.

I would also like to see something outside of the conventional straightwall handgun stuff. Its worn out and overdone.
350 legend looks rimless.
Apply that design or technology to rimless handgun cartridge made in the past 40 years and it opens up a whole new market.
You could probably do something like the 22 TCM which uses little stubby bullets anyway.
Patent that before some old vulture over at castboolits does.
Which idea are you talking about?

Which idea are you talking about?

10 magnum

TCM would probably make a good varmint round. There was a bolt gun a few years back.

Anyways, I'm drifting here.

I thought it was interesting how competitions can drive development or wildcatting of rifle cartridges.
I wonder how much has come out since........2017? geared towards the A.R. platform where theres a caliber restriction of .30 or less. Or a production class limited to .30 cal or less, but still able to reach out 6 or 800 yds, and how it drives b.t.h.p's downrange in a super-efficient manner with super flat trajectories.
Probably useless for hunting or soft targets and more purpose driven for hitting paper or steel on the clock consistently.

10 magnum

TCM would probably make a good varmint round. There was a bolt gun a few years back.

Anyways, I'm drifting here.

I thought it was interesting how competitions can drive development or wildcatting of rifle cartridges.
I wonder how much has come out since........2017? geared towards the A.R. platform where theres a caliber restriction of .30 or less. Or a production class limited to .30 cal or less, but still able to reach out 6 or 800 yds, and how it drives b.t.h.p's downrange in a super-efficient manner with super flat trajectories.
Probably useless for hunting or soft targets and more purpose driven for hitting paper or steel on the clock consistently.
That’s a good point. These cartridges are more designed for PRC. Precision and low recoil but you see companies like Hornady quick to come out with hunting bullets to make the cartridge shine.
My buddy does an Antelope hunt every year. It’s a handgun hunt so he built a 6.5 Grendel.
Kind of a wimpy cartridge better suited to shooting squirrels but with the right bullet and the right platform now it’s a pistol cartridge capable of taking thin skinned animals at 300 yards.
I’ve always loved tracking which came first. The platform. The cartridge. Seeing companies compete with SAUM as the WSSM and to see which one wins and which one dies off. It’s been a battle since the beginning of metallic cartridges even with things like the 30 WCF vs the 30-30 Marlin or the 32 S&W long vs the 32 Colt New Police.
Same cartridges but different loading. Or the 358 Winchester vs the 35 Remington. Why does one succeed and the other not?
What was the intended purpose to begin with.
Some day someone will be discussing these new cartridge as obsolete or old classics too.

Totally doable. They made 1894s in 41 mag in the past. There is also a 10MM magnum out there or there was at one point. Basically a slightly longer case loaded nice and warm for use in 610 revolvers that had their chambers reamed out deep.
I think if anything they will start with a 350 Legend or 10mm seeing as both are hot stuff right now and I think either of them would work in the 1894. You might want a 336 action for the 350 legend but I’m not sure.
One of the Automag's not sure if it was 4 or 5 was chambered in 10mm magnum, I think the Wildey was too.

I think you kinda just described the .41AE

Was that 40 caliber or 41 caliber?
One of the Automag's not sure if it was 4 or 5 was chambered in 10mm magnum, I think the Wildey was too.
Probably the reason it didn’t last. Super expensive handguns with more power than was needed for most work.
Either cartridge would probably hand around a bit today in the right chambering considering the magnum handgun craze and handgun hunting craze.

Was that 40 caliber or 41 caliber?

Probably the reason it didn’t last. Super expensive handguns with more power than was needed for most work.
Either cartridge would probably hand around a bit today in the right chambering considering the magnum handgun craze and handgun hunting craze.
had to look it up, it was .410 bullets.

Back
Top Bottom