New Rules in NoShore Town for LTC

26433574.jpg

A friend of mine interviewed for an LTC with the COP there a few years ago, he was told that "no one in Stoneham except the police should have a gun." He countered with the notion of holding the COP responsible if something happened to his family, he was booted from the station.

It's disgraceful that anyone, let alone a person who has had an LTC for 50 years, be asked to write a letter explaining "why they feel they need a LTC."
Best regards.

In case anyone is on mobile & can't get the PDF to work:
All applicants for a license to carry firearms (LTC) or firearms identification card (FID) must complete the attached application and return it to the attention of the RECORDS DEPARTMENT.

The following documentation should accompany the application: letter to the chief of police stating the reason for the LTC/FTD (see below), and proof of residency or business ownership in Stoneham (photocopy of current utility bill, etc.)

All new applicants for a LTC or FID must submit a basic firearms safety certificate (MGL chapter 140, section 131P), The safety certificate is not required for applicants seeking a RESTRICTED FID card (chemical mace/pepper spray).

Applicants will be contacted to set up an appointment to be fingerprinted, photographed and electronically complete an application.

A check, payable to the Town of Stoneham for $100.00, is required at the time of your appointment. Renewal applicants over 70 years of age are exempt from this fee.

LTC and FID cards are valid for six years from the applicants last birthday.

LTC and FID cards have a "90 day grace period" provided the renewal is completed prior to the expiration date.

The processing of LTC and FID cards will take at least two months. Applicants will be contacted when their license is available to be picked-up at the police station.

The Stoneham Police Department may apply certain restrictions on a license to carry firearms. These restrictions detail the terms and conditions that govern the possession of a firearm under the license. In order to obtain a license without a restriction, all applicants must provide a letter to the chief of police demonstrating a "good reason to fear injury to person or property" (pursuant to MGL chapter 140, section 131(d)). The determination of whether the applicant has "good reason to fear injury to person or property" is based upon the specific, detailed information regarding where and why the applicant intends to possess or use a firearm in the Commonwealth.

An applicant who seeks a license without restriction should not rely on general crime statistics, waivers of liability, information about the weapons they intend to carry, or any "boiler plate" reasons provided by a third party. Vague information regarding the carrying of cash or valuables, a reluctance to rely on police protection or a non-descript fear of harm will not meet the "good reason to fear injury to person or property" standard.

An applicant seeking a LTC for employment purposes must submit letter from their direct supervisor explaining the necessity of the LTC.

The following restrictions may be applied to a license to carry firearms:

EMPLOYMENT — restricts possession to a business owner engaged in business activities or to an employee while engaged in work related activities, and maintaining proficiency, where the employer requires carry of a firearm (i.e. armored car, security guard, etc.); for personal protection in the home. Includes travel to and from activity location.

TARGET/HUNTING/INSTRUCTION — restricts possession to the purpose of lawful recreational shooting or competition; for use in the lawful pursuit of game animals and birds; for use while providing instruction to students in at a range or classroom and for personal protection in the home. Includes travel to and from activity location

SPORTING — restricts possession to the purpose of lawful recreational shooting or competition; for use in the lawful pursuit of game animals and birds; for personal protection in the home; for outdoor recreational activities such as hiking, camping, cross country skiing, or similar activities. Includes travel to and from activity location.

Should you have any additional questions, please call Inspector Christopher Copan at 781-438-1215, ext 3201.

from the Stoneham instructions:
...must provide a letter to the chief of police demonstrating a "good reason to fear injury to person or property" (pursuant to MGL chapter 140, section 131(d)).

MGL 140 section 131(d):
(d) Any person residing or having a place of business within the jurisdiction ... may submit to such licensing authority ... an application for a Class A or Class B license to carry firearms, or renewal of the same, which such licensing authority or said colonel may issue if it appears that the applicant is a suitable person to be issued such license, and that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person or property, or for any other reason, including the carrying of firearms for use in sport or target practice only, subject to

Looks like he's representing the MGL as requiring the letter, when it's really just on his authoritah.
Talk to Comm2A.

Am guessing Rowley.

Not Rowley - Rowley is very good, but strange. In 1987, the Town voted a requirement to have any license (even non-firearm licenses) issued in Rowley to be singed off by the Light Dept., Water Dept., and Treasurer. This is not a police requirement. I don't like it because these departments could keep their own database of firearms owners in Town, but it is what it is. http://www.rowleypolice.com/permit_l.pdf

Not Rowley - Rowley is very good, but strange. In 1987, the Town voted a requirement to have any license (even non-firearm licenses) issued in Rowley to be singed off by the Light Dept., Water Dept., and Treasurer. This is not a police requirement. I don't like it because these departments could keep their own database of firearms owners in Town, but it is what it is. http://www.rowleypolice.com/permit_l.pdf

WTF??

That form is the one used to apply for building permits. Thus the sign-offs.
While there are lots of exclusions in MGL 40/57, firearms permits are not among them and Rowley has elected to use the form for LTCs.
WTF, indeed.

It's disgraceful that anyone, let alone a person who has had an LTC for 50 years, be asked to write a letter explaining "why they feel they need a LTC."
Best regards.
To add insult he is a collector, and the majority of his firearms are pre-ban high caps.

Way to go FR, Stoneham. All the unacceptable reasons herein listed are THE EXACT REASONS private citizens should be allowed to carry.

How about "because F*ck You, that's why!"?

And here I've been trying to be all respectful to authority figures. Getting all sorts of tired. I know "join the club, we meet at the bar."

The town of Attleboro has a new Chief of Police (not so new but since I received my LTC) and while I haven't had to renew yet, a friend of mine has. He, too, needed two letters references and a letter describing his "reason" for wanting an unrestricted. He hasn't heard back yet on his renewal (been a little over a month) but has anyone else had experience in Attleboro with the new COP?

Back
Top Bottom