• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Ruger Wrangler

Is Ruger trying to appeal to the "I don't like to spend money so I'll buy cheap stuff crowd" I mean, the thing looks like the grip panels pop off to reveal the CO2 cartidge that powers it.

It reeks of wanting to compete with those heritage rough rider .22's you see in sporting good stores. Its a bit above them in price, but close enough that if you wanted a name brand its not out of reach.

Holy crap......the finish looks cheap as hell. MSRP of $249 means they'll sell for $200 in the shops. Not sure what I think about these yet. I have a single 10 and for a 22 pistol it's well built.

My wife has wanted a single action "cowboy" .22 for a while, but did not want to spend a ton of money on a fun gun. For $250, likely less on the street, I'll probably buy her one of these.

I have a Single Six made in the late 70's. Nice plinker, but I really want to find a Ruger Bearcat to start my kids on handguns, whenever they're of age. I didn't realize until a few years ago reading an article about the Bearcat, that they're a scaled-down sixgun, the perfect size for little hands to learn on. :)

I have a Single Six made in the late 70's. Nice plinker, but I really want to find a Ruger Bearcat to start my kids on handguns, whenever they're of age. I didn't realize until a few years ago reading an article about the Bearcat, that they're a scaled-down sixgun, the perfect size for little hands to learn on. :)
My sons first handgun was a single 10. A single action 22 is a great gun to teach anyone on.....adults ot kids. I even take it as a side arm in an old leather holster when I go small game hunting loaded with 22 shorts. Makes quick work if the shotgun wounds small game.

Is Ruger trying to appeal to the "I don't like to spend money so I'll buy cheap stuff crowd" I mean, the thing looks like the grip panels pop off to reveal the CO2 cartidge that powers it.

It reeks of wanting to compete with those heritage rough rider .22's you see in sporting good stores. Its a bit above them in price, but close enough that if you wanted a name brand its not out of reach.
If it basically works it would be a nice option to bring along in the woods. If I’m out fishing/hunting/trapping an immaculate finish is not a high priority.

With average sized hands, the gas from the cylinder gap can get a little too close for comfort if you are not expecting it.

if they did a bearcat with a 10rd cylinder i would be interested. i just don't see the point in a 6 rd cylinder for 22LR.

It's single action though, so the 6 round thing goes with the whole "wants to take a nap in between cylinders" motif. Anything that would even slightly increase ergonomics or efficiency is an anathema to a single action revolver... [rofl]

-Mike

I wouldn't ever put an SA revolver in a kids hands because I would be concerned that it would potentially cause them to lose interest in shooting. [laugh] That would be the last gun they would see...

-Mike

It's single action though, so the 6 round thing goes with the whole "wants to take a nap in between cylinders" motif. Anything that would even slightly increase ergonomics or efficiency is an anathema to a single action revolver... [rofl]

-Mike

i like the SA revolvers because its easier to clean the cylinder when removed. also on most DA rimfires the mainspring needs to be kept heavy so DA trigger is gonna suck. this is the case w my GP100 22lr. i love the gun but hate cleaning it. i mostly shoot it SA. the single 10 is nice but i love the look of the bearcat.

I'm wondering if also has .22 Mag cylinder, like the Single Six. I have shot one, but it has one sticky chamber, and I didn't find it all that accurate. If those two things weren't so, it would be a fun gun to shoot. Lighten the weight by using aluminum, and it sounds even more compelling. Lower price even moreso still. Only if it takes .22 Mag though. For some reason, that appeals to me.

if they did a bearcat with a 10rd cylinder i would be interested. i just don't see the point in a 6 rd cylinder for 22LR.

10 rounds, or even 8, sounds a lot better than 6, and there should be room for at least 8 in .22.

Might be a good cheap model to learn how to engrave on.

I thought this one was aluminum. I'd imagine aluminum is pretty different to engrave than steel.

I wouldn't ever put an SA revolver in a kids hands because I would be concerned that it would potentially cause them to lose interest in shooting. [laugh] That would be the last gun they would see...

-Mike

The idea is, for their first time with a handgun they can only fire one round at a time. No chance of an accidental double-tap. ;)
But yes I have plenty of fun semi-auto .22 stuff for them to use once they get their fundamentals down.

i like the SA revolvers because its easier to clean the cylinder when removed. also on most DA rimfires the mainspring needs to be kept heavy so DA trigger is gonna suck. this is the case w my GP100 22lr. i love the gun but hate cleaning it. i mostly shoot it SA. the single 10 is nice but i love the look of the bearcat.

Yes, it's much easier to remove the cylinder, but unloading those things is tedious. Maybe when I'm like, 85 (if I live that long) I'll buy one.

Home Health Nurse person "Sir, so what did you do this week?"

Elderly Me: "I went to the gun club and fired off precisely 48 rounds of .22, from my little ruger SA cowboy gun. I was there most of the afternoon. Then afterwards I went to the airport to figure out what direction the luggage carousel went in, it was a very invigorating day. "

The idea is, for their first time with a handgun they can only fire one round at a time. No chance of an accidental double-tap. ;)

True enough.

I was being facetious mostly, though. [laugh] I just find them tedious. And I can never seem to get used to the grip angle etc. It's like holding a gun designed for some alien race....

-Mike

For a split second before I clicked on this thread I almost thought this was going to be a Jeep product with some Ruger bullshit on it or something... [rofl]

-Mike

IIRC, Chevy got into trouble with the Beretta....apparently some Italian company thought that they had called "DIBS!" on that moniker:

GM Resolves Dispute Over Beretta Name

Perhaps there'll be an integral holster on the Jeep, next to the cup holder? [laugh]

wish someone would make a ma compliant full size 22 single action cowboy gun; they do but not allowed in ma
Does the single six or single ten not fit the bill? It’s been a while since I’ve shot my grandpas single six but it felt like a real gun I think.

True enough.

I was being facetious mostly, though. [laugh] I just find them tedious. And I can never seem to get used to the grip angle etc. It's like holding a gun designed for some alien race....

-Mike

Oh yeah the grip angle/ general feel of any SAA clone is definitely odd. The most comfortable handgun to me is a 1911 and a SAA is NOTHING like that.

Aimed straight at Taurus/Heritage. You would be amazed at how many of those suckers sell. I think there's a lot of zinc in the Heritage, so Ruger has many favorable comparison points.

I would not own one of these new revolvers, but Ruger made a very smart move here.

Aimed straight at Taurus/Heritage. You would be amazed at how many of those suckers sell. I think there's a lot of zinc in the Heritage, so Ruger has many favorable comparison points.

I would not own one of these new revolvers, but Ruger made a very smart move here.
My first thought also was that it's trying to compete with the Heritage Rough Rider; I see them for sale at about $110-$150 all the time. Never held/fired/owned one, but I do hear that for what they are, they work; the finish, as you'd expect for the price point, is not great. But for a $100-$150 gun, you must manage your expectations.

Back
Top Bottom