New Ruger SR22 Issues

barnabus

NES Member
I picked up a Ruger SR22 pistol about a week and a half ago at Four Seasons and I'm having issues with it.

I plan on calling Ruger on Monday, but I thought I would see if anyone here has any insight on the issues I'm having.

The first time I took it to the range the pistol had failure to feed issues with both magazines and different brands of ammo.

The second time I took it to the range, this time with different magazines and ammo and the problem was worse.

I'd chamber a round and when I pulled the trigger the gun would not fire.

Through the visual inspection port I verified the round was chambered.

To get the gun to fire I had to hit the magazine (had to do this on all four magazines) on the bottom. It would then fire, but then the next round would not fire.

The gun will also fire if you hit the top front of the slide. (Squeezing the slide down and the frame up.)

Looking at the gun it appears that the barrel points upward when the slide is racked.

It appears that the barrel/trigger assembly is not locked down on the frame.

I've only field stripped the gun, so I haven't taken anything apart.

Looking at some youtube videos it appears that the barrel/trigger assembly is supposed to snap into the frame,
but this one seems loose.

Last edited:
Just sold mine. Never had any issues with it, aside from just not liking it. But it always fed and acted as it was supposed to.

Call FS, and see if they will help you, then Ruger if they can't.

I have one and I had some problems way back. They resolved when I made sure the spring in the guide rod was in just right, the slide was locked in place, and the takedown lever is secure. Also, make sure you lightly coat the barrel with lube.

If that doesn't work, then look at the way your magazines are loaded. Sometimes the rounds may not be perfectly seated to feed consistently.

Recoil spring backwards?
CLean, Clean, Clean real good.
I upgraded the recoil spring with a Galloway and has been 100% (20 bucks)
Barrel shouldn't be loose at all get a small allen and see if its loose, 9/64ths may fit if I recall.
Mine is very accurate at 21 feet I hit quarters, so I cant sell it

Last edited:
Recoil spring backwards?
CLean, Clean, Clean real good.
I upgraded the recoil spring with a Galloway and has been 100% (20 bucks)
Barrel shouldn't be loose at all get a small allen and see if its loose, 9/64ths may fit if I recall.
Mine is very accurate at 21 feet I hit quarters, so I cant sell it

+1

Clean it good! Lube it! Check the barrel & spring...

Mine has seen 3000+ rounds with no issues... (stay away from Thunderbolt Ammo!!!)

My SR22 is picky on ammo. I have had problems with PMC. CCI and Remington no problems. I have some Federal and Winchester but I have not tried them yet.

My SR22 is picky on ammo. I have had problems with PMC. CCI and Remington no problems. I have some Federal and Winchester but I have not tried them yet.

My SR22 has problems with Winchester ammo. CCI, Remington and Federal all work well

Ruger recently moved their SR22 production fro prescott AZ to Mayodan NC. Wouldnt be surprised if some faulty builds coming out for a bit....regardless dont waste your time FS trying to fix it. Get an RMA from Ruger let them fix it for you.

I just bought four of them for Classes last week, had the same problem first time out could not fire a full mag with out misfires and feeding issues.
Took them apart cleaned, lubed and switched over to Winchester ammo ( perfect ) no issues.
I will say any ammo with lube will be a problem, they appear to be very meticulous to what you run through them.

mine did also with the 555 and 333 Bulk packs , after the Galloway spring its all good now

I tried an after market spring/guide rod and used different mags with no luck. I had a 50% failure to extract/failure to feed rate with several types of standard velocity an high velocity Winchester ammo. I also called Ruger customer service but they were of no help.

I have had same problem gun needs to be cleaned and I purchased some 22 ammo that had wax all over it and it did not like that at all had to clean it after just 20 rounds gun was all gummed up

Mine only seems picky when it's not clean. I did have a light strike problem and after looking into it realized the firing pin was broken. Ruger took care of that...

as much as i like ruger i'm not fond of these sr22's. i picked up a smith m&p22 pistol a couple of years ago cause i didn't have a plinker .22 handgun. shoots extremely well with anything so i'm happy....so far.

Sucks to hear your having problems with yours. I picked mine up a couple years ago and have about 500 rounds thru it. Haven't had any problems and still haven't cleaned it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't owned a .22 as reliable as the SR22.... I can run the oldest nastiest crap ever (as I had to after Sandy Hook). Get in touch with ruger like you said, they will take care of it (sorry your having issues)

for some reason rulers are like that. call ruler and ask what ammo they are testing and explain your problem

they'll take care of it.

JimB

Good luck getting Ruger to investigate an SR22 problem associated to a specific brand of ammo. When I spoke to the Ruger CS rep he said that since my gun functioned reliably with CCI/Federal/Remington ammo, the problem must be with the Winchester ammo; even though I told him that I had measured the dimensions of the Winchester ammo and it was within SAAMI specs, and that it functioned well in my 22/45. My SR22 was manufactured in Mayodan (SR22s with SNs starting with 365-XXXX and up are built in NC). My Brother-in-law has an SR22 that was manufactured in AZ. His SR22 didn't function well with the std velocity Winchester ammo but worked well with the hi velocity, while my SR22 wouldn't work with either type.

I just decided to get rid of my Winchester 22LR and use CCI/Federal/Remington ammo exclusively

Good luck getting Ruger to investigate an SR22 problem associated to a specific brand of ammo. When I spoke to the Ruger CS rep he said that since my gun functioned reliably with CCI/Federal/Remington ammo, the problem must be with the Winchester ammo; even though I told him that I had measured the dimensions of the Winchester ammo and it was within SAAMI specs, and that it functioned well in my 22/45. My SR22 was manufactured in Mayodan (SR22s with SNs starting with 365-XXXX and up are built in NC). My Brother-in-law has an SR22 that was manufactured in AZ. His SR22 didn't function well with the std velocity Winchester ammo but worked well with the hi velocity, while my SR22 wouldn't work with either type.

I just decided to get rid of my Winchester 22LR and use CCI/Federal/Remington ammo exclusively

While my SR22 is pretty reliable with Sub Sonic (ie standard velocity ) ammo, many semi pistols don't run at all on it. I don't guage how a blowback rimfore opperates based on its performance with Sub Sonic ammo

As above x5.

All mine ever sees now is minimags, and shoots flawlessly.

Will not cycle Thunderbolt, American Eagle.

I thought I should post an update in the event someone else has a problem down the road.

Pistol was sent back to Ruger. They contacted me a few days later asking permission to destroy it and they would replace it.

They wouldn't tell me what was wrong with it.

I took the replacement out today and fired various brands of ammo and had only one minor issue.

Hopefully, the replacement pistol will run for many more years.

I thought I should post an update in the event someone else has a problem down the road. Pistol was sent back to Ruger. They contacted me a few days later asking permission to destroy it and they would replace it. They wouldn't tell me what was wrong with it. I took the replacement out today and fired various brands of ammo and had only one minor issue. Hopefully, the replacement pistol will run for many more years.

I had the same issues as you did with my 2 sr22s. I replaces the guide rod on one and haven't had an issue so I just ordered another rod for the second one. Good to know ruger did good by you. I love ruger customer service!

I thought I should post an update in the event someone else has a problem down the road.

Pistol was sent back to Ruger. They contacted me a few days later asking permission to destroy it and they would replace it.

They wouldn't tell me what was wrong with it.

I took the replacement out today and fired various brands of ammo and had only one minor issue.

Hopefully, the replacement pistol will run for many more years.

I'll bet someone over torqued and stripped the screw threads holding the barrel to the frame, thats why they destroyed it.....liability. They didn't want to release it back into circulation for fear of someone having the slide planted in their eye socket.

There was an issue when they first came out with that screw loosening and needing to be re torqued and sometimes locktite applied.

Mine was checked while I waited when I bought it by the smith and properly torqued and its been good to go for the past 1000 or so rounds. Eats federal bulk pack, Remington yellow jackets, Remington military stuff, CCI mini mags no problems.

Got one for my wife at Four Seasons and they said I had to shoot High Velocity ammo with at least 1200FPS. Have not had any issues with it so far.. But I have only bought ammo with those specs..

I also had some failure to feed and failure to fire issues with my SR22.

So I broke the gun down and cleaned the firing pin channel thoroughly with Gun Scrubber solvent.
I also tried the Galloway rod, it didn't fit - it was too long. They sent me a replacement which does fit.

I still get failure to feed with the Galloway - the standard rod works fine without any failure to feed.
I get occasional failure to fire, especially when the gun is dirty after 200-300 rounds through it.

I keep the gun "dry". In other words, it's cleaned with solvent and then I apply some lube with q-tips on all the metal-to-metal moving parts (e.g. mostly the slide) and then wipe the excess oil off.

I'm using Aguila Super Extra. Will try Mini Mag next.

I like this gun a lot. I wish it was like my SR9C which never skips a beat, but this is a .22 so I don't expect it to be flawless.

Back
Top Bottom