New ruger precision rifle

The precision rifle is allocated through all distributors. So they will need to call to check availability.

Jerry's / United Sporting list 7 lines of 6.5 Creedmoor. They don't have stock in any of them.

Don

The precision rifle is allocated through all distributors. So they will need to call to check availability.

Jerry's / United Sporting list 7 lines of 6.5 Creedmoor. They don't have stock in any of them.

Don

Jerry's in Michigan? I lived in Michigan at one time and know the store. I will try them tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give the a try.

But I was talking about Jerry's Sports Center. A wholesaler who only sells to dealers. They were acquired by United Sporting about 5 years ago.

Ha. Who knows, your Jerrys may have one.

Don

It's very difficult to find. You most likely will have to order it and wait. Also I've been having a hard time finding the ammo too. I've had to order some and when I do find a place that has it they usually only have about 1 to 3 boxes available.

I have the Ammo, I ordered some from Cabelas. I don't have any experience with 6.5 Creedmoor so I bought the 140g and I will play around with others as it's available. I also found some on another site I use, ammotogo dot com. I overpaid by 100 on gunbroker for the rifle but nobody was willing to quote a delivery date with any certainty. I just have to decide on a scope. Most of my good scopes are designed for a bigger field as opposed to longer range. Depending on how I set up I can go out to about 900 yards on my property. That requires shooting off the deck which pisses off the girlfriend. Did you have the barrel threaded for a brake? It seems like a good add on.

I have the Ammo, I ordered some from Cabelas. I don't have any experience with 6.5 Creedmoor so I bought the 140g and I will play around with others as it's available. I also found some on another site I use, ammotogo dot com. I overpaid by 100 on gunbroker for the rifle but nobody was willing to quote a delivery date with any certainty. I just have to decide on a scope. Most of my good scopes are designed for a bigger field as opposed to longer range. Depending on how I set up I can go out to about 900 yards on my property. That requires shooting off the deck which pisses off the girlfriend. Did you have the barrel threaded for a brake? It seems like a good add on.

I'm trying to envision the utility of a brake on a bolt action rifle. What purpose would it serve?

I'm trying to envision the utility of a brake on a bolt action rifle. What purpose would it serve?

I don't have experience beyond 400 yards. Based on your comment I guess they are not added to bolt actions, I just learned something. I was thinking it would help stay on target after each shot. I found with a 5.56 @ 400 yards getting back on the steel target was a challenge with the scope I was using. Probably more equipment since the scope was a 3 or 4 power.

I don't have experience beyond 400 yards. Based on your comment I guess they are not added to bolt actions, I just learned something. I was thinking it would help stay on target after each shot. I found with a 5.56 @ 400 yards getting back on the steel target was a challenge with the scope I was using. Probably more equipment since the scope was a 3 or 4 power.

I am sure others will chime in but no, you don't generally add a muzzle brake to a bolt action rifle. A proper crown is more important for accuracy. You are more likely to use a bipod and since you have to take your hand off the rifle to cycle the action anyway, recoil has less of an impact on your follow up shot.

I mean, it might make it look cooler though and if you really want to piss off the guys next to you at the range you could put a miculek style brake on there. Either way, it isn't likely to help your accuracy.

I am guessing that your 5.56 was a semi auto though right?

Last edited:
I am sure others will chime in but no, you don't generally add a muzzle brake to a bolt action rifle. A proper crown is more important for accuracy. You are more likely to use a bipod and since you have to take your hand off the rifle to cycle the action anyway, recoil has less of an impact on your follow up shot.

Average bench shooter not so much. Some use a muzzle device to keep the recoil down so they can see there hit right away . Shoot paper you can just look at your sporting scope . But for hunting and snipping it might be more useful .

Or to make big rounds more enjoyable to shoot.
dacf852ebb701ef821512eb13b60aa2f.jpg

Last edited:
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the bipod tip. That seems like money well spent. The 5.56 was exactly that, semi auto. The issue there was trying to see the steel plate at 400 yards. With low magnification the chevron covered the entire steel plate. I could hit it 10 times in row but if I came off the steel it took a few rounds to get back on target. This should be less of an issue with a scope designed for longer distance. It's my house so noise is less of an issue. At any rate thanks for preventing me from being that guy with a brake equipped bolt action.

Average bench shooter not so much. Some use a muzzle device to keep the recoil down so they can see there hit right away . Shoot paper you can just look at your sporting scope . But for hunting and snipping it might be more useful .

Or to make big rounds more enjoyable to shoot.
dacf852ebb701ef821512eb13b60aa2f.jpg

I wrote "generally" Ben, so which of those applications would fit this rifle? Hunting at 500 yards? Or sniping zombies at 500 yards?

I would use it more to mount a suppressor than actually reducing recoil but yeah, you can use it to reduce the recoil. Just be aware that it will also likely affect your accuracy at those distances.

I wrote "generally" Ben, so which of those applications would fit this rifle? Hunting at 500 yards? Or sniping zombies at 500 yards?

I would use it more to mount a suppressor than actually reducing recoil but yeah, you can use it to reduce the recoil. Just be aware that it will also likely affect your accuracy at those distances.

Both lol .

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the bipod tip. That seems like money well spent. The 5.56 was exactly that, semi auto. The issue there was trying to see the steel plate at 400 yards. With low magnification the chevron covered the entire steel plate. I could hit it 10 times in row but if I came off the steel it took a few rounds to get back on target. This should be less of an issue with a scope designed for longer distance. It's my house so noise is less of an issue. At any rate thanks for preventing me from being that guy with a brake equipped bolt action.

I'm not saying they don't have any use but I would certainly shoot it without first. As Ben wrote, it can help with seeing your shot hit the target at great distances.
I think people would argue that a spotter at those distances would also be helpful as seeing your shot hit at 500 yards with most scopes is going to be tough. Painting the steel would obviously help but after the first few shots that won't help you any more. So a good spotting scope is money well spent.

Everytime I've called Cabela's they only have 1 to 3 boxes or they are out. If they have 3 I usually take the drive but when I get there they usually only have 1 left.

900 Yds! I wish I had any room in my back yard to shoot.

I mean, it might make it look cooler though and if you really want to piss off the guys next to you at the range you could put a miculek style brake on there. Either way, it isn't likely to help your accuracy.

I am guessing that your 5.56 was a semi auto though right?

If you are going to shoot a lot in a given period of time a brake is great. If you shoot precision rifle competitions, you use either a brake or a suppressor.

I took a long range rifle class at Sig. My .308 loads were fairly hot (175gr SMK at 2720 fps). All shooting was done prone with the gun along the centerline of the body. By lunch everyone's collar bone was sore.

I shot 120 rounds per day over 2 days. And anything that reduced recoil would have been appreciated.

A brake on a bolt gun is not about fast follow up shots. Its about

1) the cumulative effects of recoil on your accuracy and followthrough.
2) having the rifle stay put enough so you can continue to track your target in your scope after the shot breaks. This isn't just for shooting at things that walk. Its nice to see the steel swing if you hit it. If you have a good scope and its bright out, you will be able to see almost as well as someone with a good spotting scope.

I got a chance to take a shot with an Accuracy International .308 Win Mag. It had a brake that would kick up dust for 20 ft off to each side. But it recoiled less than my 12 lb .308. A lot less.

Don

Last edited:
900 Yds! I wish I had any room in my back yard to shoot.

I bought the farm, the family farm that is lol. I mail ordered the 6.5, I think finding the ammo proved equally as hard as finding the rifle.

We will see if I can hit anything at that distance. From my deck to my deer hooch its 923 yards according to the range finder. I leased the biggest field to a farmer and he's cutting the corn today, that will open up the full length. With the corn in place I can go out to 380 yards. It also makes for a nice big feed lot, the thing is the modern cutters don't leave as much corn behind as the stuff we used growing up. Sometimes I used to think there was more corn left in the field.

I've been looking for an RPR in 6.5.

If anybody knows of any in MA lemme know!

I think Al at AL's in derry said he had them in stock.. not sure how far you're from NH, and I think you can buy rifles in NH as long as they are MA approved, or whatever. Plus no sales tax.

Thx i'll give them a call

edit: nope, out of stock, and it was 1399. kind of way more than i wanted to spend.

Ruger went up about $200 on the wholesale price and the dealers are still selling them as fast as ruger can make them.

Last edited:
IMG_20160224_153806098.jpg
Picked up this one at Shooting Supply in Westport I think Mark had one left in 308
This one is 6.5 creedmoor

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom