• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Ruger MK IV Pistol

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Anyone see one of these yet, other than at the SHOT Show ???
They were just released a few weeks ago and seem to be the most significant upgrade to the nearly seven decade old MK series, featuring a push button takedown and tilt-up receiver like an AR.

http://www.ruger.com/products/markIVHunter/models.html

Ruger_MKIV01.jpg

I've not seen one. Ruger CS did tell me that they have been submitted for approval in Ma. I plan on getting one soon but since I'm planning on getting out of this state I may wait until I've moved unless it's going to be much longer then anticipated.
There are already quite a few reviews on youtube.

Last edited:
Yup, right here,

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/318926-Ruger-Mark-IV

Dupe!

[rofl]

4S told me they were not complaint yet. But will buy one when they are.

Guess I missed that, can't remember the last time I actually looked in the Hardware Forum [laugh]

I don't have to worry about the "complaint" BS up here, but since the MK III wasn't Mass compliant, what makes you think the MK IV will be ??? Especially now that you have someone worse than Croakley as AG.

Guess I missed that, can't remember the last time I actually looked in the Hardware Forum [laugh]

I don't have to worry about the "complaint" BS up here, but since the MK III wasn't Mass compliant, what makes you think the MK IV will be ??? Especially now that you have someone worse than Croakley as AG.

Mk III is MA compliant, at least some models.

I fondeled and disassembled the MKIV Hunter at Hoffmans in CT two weeks ago. Finish was very nice, better than my MKIII Hunter. So easy to take down. They had it for $630.

Not a big enough difference for me to sell my MKIII and buy the MKIV (don't care about MA compliance, only affects MA dealers...). Anyone know if the MKIII parts are interchangeable with the MKIV? Wondered if Volquartsen parts (like the target sear) and other aftermarket parts to lighten up the trigger, would fit.

Last edited:
I attended the Ruger Day at Old Glory today and handled a Mark IV. It open easy enough - Safety on, release mag, press button. Just a little finagling to align back and close. Takes same mags. The Ruger Rep said it is passed Mass testing and should appear on next list update. Ruger Rep said there is no upgrade conversion from earlier models nor a factory trade-in program.

I liked it.

40101-4-1-390x246.jpg

Last edited:

I had no idea what section it was in. I always just surf the New Posts. The MKIII was Mass Complaint at one point. I owned the MKIII Hunter. They changed something ( could have even been as small as the Sku Number) that made it non compliant. Hoping the MK4 will be.

Weren't they removed from the list at one point ???

The nice people at Ruger took it upon themselves to not sell them in MA, along with the original LC9. Which didn't make them any less compliant with regard to MA.

these are pretty nice and a major design change of a classic gun. it's on my wish list but i'll wait until it's on "the list." just don't want to pay that massachusetts premium people try to hit us with. i expect it to be on the next publishing, i heard ruger submitted it early in the release.

Regarding the question about whether Volquartsen sears will fit the Mark IV, I had the same question as soon as I heard about these pistols. I looked around online and found a schematic for the Mark IV, and I found that the sear is completely redesigned. It looked like many other parts would not interchange either, but I have not had the opportunity to do a full assessment.

Regarding the question about whether Volquartsen sears will fit the Mark IV, I had the same question as soon as I heard about these pistols. I looked around online and found a schematic for the Mark IV, and I found that the sear is completely redesigned. It looked like many other parts would not interchange either, but I have not had the opportunity to do a full assessment.

Darn. Well I'm sure they'll be making parts soon.

$650??? Yikes! I think I got my Mk2 for $200-250 used. I can't imagine that I spent more than $400 on my 22/45 Mk3.

YIKES!

This is a follow up to my previous post about whether Volquartsen parts will fit in the Ruger Mark IV.

I looked on Volquartsen's website for info about parts for the Mark IV, but I did not find anything. Eventually, I found the link below which was posted on Volquartsen's Facebook page on October 11th. The short summary is that current parts are not compatible, but they are working on it.

http://us5.campaign-archive2.com/?u=1d55a4e92becbde9cd397f1a1&id=6728870f98

I also found this youtube video which shows that the Volquartsen Mark II parts actually do fit in a Mark IV. Note that I do not have direct knowledge of anything shown in this video. But it does appear that the geometries between the pistols are very similar, so hopefully Volquartsen will have parts that are approved for the Mark IV fairly soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMQlJCNEGso

Oh damn. I barely shoot my 2 and 3, but now I WANT one. [rofl]

I might just get it, sit in my easy chair and take it apart and put it back together. Never ever shoot it. LOL

It is a nice gun. I really like my 2 and 3. I think they are suddenly less marketable because of it.

IMO the ambi safety is the biggest selling point on this Mark IV. at least now lefties can use the safety. especially since this is often used as a trainer, it should be available in fully ambi or lefty configuration. i'm not sure about the slide release though i think that's still only on the L side?

the takedown gig is a very welcome addition but overblown because the MKII and III models can go probably 10k+ rounds without needing to fully disassembly. with a dental pick and bore snake the upper can be easily cleaned.

once ruger releases the 22/45 version of this gun i would consider acquiring. however given Ruger's track record I will let other people uncover all the mistakes and allow Ruger a year or two to hammer these out. at which point, count me in.

Oh damn. I barely shoot my 2 and 3, but now I WANT one. [rofl]

I might just get it, sit in my easy chair and take it apart and put it back together. Never ever shoot it. LOL

It is a nice gun. I really like my 2 and 3. I think they are suddenly less marketable because of it.

Same here. I have the MKIII Hunter with the mag disconnect removed and volquartsen sear installed which makes it a great shooter. But I just don't shoot it much.

Just the other afternoon ,a cold rainy windy day,I looked at the clock in the gun room .I saw it was 2:30 and I figured I had just enough time to field strip, clean and try and get my Ruger Mk 3 back together before supper, I was wrong..

Back
Top Bottom