• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Ruger American Rifle in .22lr & .22WMRF

Anyone who owns one, you suck. That's all, carry on.

I was actually wondering that, so I'm glad you clarified.
[smile]

If it makes it any better, I did not buy it. Mrs. 99105 bought it for me as an early anniversary gift.
I love my bride.

Standard. Well maybe compact. I got a couple young nephews.

I have read on Rimfire Central that nobody can really see any difference in accuracy between them. If I where in your place I would go with the compact, then if you find the LOP too short for your taste go for the larger stock insert.

Compact like you said. Did my research last night. Said screw it. Compact it is. Makes me tingly inside. American made.

(just to be clear, I went with the full/rifle length .22lr)

22lr or 22mag? I am pondering getting a compact in 22mag. That said, I saw a *VERY* nice older 10/22, roughly the same era as the one I have now for about the same price. I hated to pass on it as I want another for Appleseed/LTR but between PGI last month and the new RAR and a lot of shooting this month I just don't have it.

I do like this gun a lot. I shot an Appleseed with is pretty much right out of the box. Picked it up on a Friday along with 250 rounds, found mounts and a super-cheap 4x32 at another LGS, went out to the range and put about 100 rounds through it getting the scope dialed in at 50 yards and just working with it, then shot an Appleseed with it Saturday (bailed on Sunday).

If I had 5 minutes (or even 4.5) instead of 4 on the AQT I would have made the patch the way it was shooting (much kudos going to Project Appleseed Home for the great training - I am a much better shooter for it and will do many more over time), but the bolt was stiff and the fact is you are at a disadvantage with a bolt gun there.

That all said, I missed the AQT by 2 points with the 10/22.

Twice.

Anyway, it' sure as hell ain't the gun, shooting prone and not timed I kept every round in the black (*IN* the black - not ".30 call rule") during the sight-in . I do very much like it. In many ways it's like going back to my first real training gun, which was a Remington DCM gun dad got for me in the early '70s to use for the very first NRA Jr rifleman training I did. I found during the Appleseed shoot that a lot of bad habits have creeped in over the years as well and that there is a *LOT* I never learned about being a good rifleman.

For a very long time I was the guy always able to get the hits on the beer cans at 25ish yards with my 10/22 and irons or a cheap scope - problem being that was all with "casual shooters", not folks that work hard for high scores. I got a bit sloppy and this came out when I began shooting CMP rimfire matches (I can do a 575 with the 10/22 in O class - on a good day).

I was seriously looking at a 10/22 target setup for Appleseed and CMP shoots, but wasn't ready to put out what it takes to go that route when they announced the RAR. When I saw it and it struck me that it was time to go BACKWARDS in my training and really step up up my game.

In the end, I have to say that for me, this is a great "Get back to basics" shooter, very well suited to *MY* needs.

If I would recommend an entry level "post cricket" gun for the entire family it would be the Ruger American Rimfire in .22lr, Compact/Carbine sized. As stated above it shoots about as accurate as the Full/Rifle sized model, has the interchangeable stock setup that makes it configurable for pretty much anyone, and at ~$275 on the street it is hard to beat - especially compared to the other offerings in the class.

As a long (+25 yr) time 10/22 owner it is easy to see how a 10/22 is the logical next step up. It was the one I have worked my own daughters as well as a number of other folks up to from airguns, but the RAR as a bolt gun forces you to think about NPOA and good shooting skills a lot more, and you don't have the impulse to just send a bunch of lead downrange because you can.

It's only a matter of time before Tech comes out with a proper sight setup for it (the rear sights suck and have QC issues ATM). It will already accept a standard 3/8" or Warren scope setup and rimfire scopes are cheap and plentiful. It will fire any sv/hv ammo you can find. In short order various outfits will likely come out with Dragunov and various other thumbhole/target stock setups for it.

Full float barrel. Interchangeable stock setup. BX mags. Cheapish without being a POS. American Made right here in Newport, NH. It's the gun your great-grand-daddy bought in the hardware store when your grand-dad was young because the Winchester '94 was too big and "it was time" - but for our era.

My opinion (and we all know what those are like) is that as long as Ruger keeps a solid product and good CS going it is destined to be a classic. Given the success of the 10/22 and my own recent (and totally well handled) dealings with them (my first CS experience in 30 years as a Ruger owner) I really think they will do well with it.

(just to be clear, I went with the full/rifle length .22lr)

22lr or 22mag? I am pondering getting a compact in 22mag. That said, I saw a *VERY* nice older 10/22, roughly the same era as the one I have now for about the same price. I hated to pass on it as I want another for Appleseed/LTR but between PGI last month and the new RAR and a lot of shooting this month I just don't have it.

I do like this gun a lot. I shot an Appleseed with is pretty much right out of the box. Picked it up on a Friday along with 250 rounds, found mounts and a super-cheap 4x32 at another LGS, went out to the range and put about 100 rounds through it getting the scope dialed in at 50 yards and just working with it, then shot an Appleseed with it Saturday (bailed on Sunday).

If I had 5 minutes (or even 4.5) instead of 4 on the AQT I would have made the patch the way it was shooting (much kudos going to Project Appleseed Home for the great training - I am a much better shooter for it and will do many more over time), but the bolt was stiff and the fact is you are at a disadvantage with a bolt gun there.

That all said, I missed the AQT by 2 points with the 10/22.

Twice.

Anyway, it' sure as hell ain't the gun, shooting prone and not timed I kept every round in the black (*IN* the black - not ".30 call rule") during the sight-in . I do very much like it. In many ways it's like going back to my first real training gun, which was a Remington DCM gun dad got for me in the early '70s to use for the very first NRA Jr rifleman training I did. I found during the Appleseed shoot that a lot of bad habits have creeped in over the years as well and that there is a *LOT* I never learned about being a good rifleman.

For a very long time I was the guy always able to get the hits on the beer cans at 25ish yards with my 10/22 and irons or a cheap scope - problem being that was all with "casual shooters", not folks that work hard for high scores. I got a bit sloppy and this came out when I began shooting CMP rimfire matches (I can do a 575 with the 10/22 in O class - on a good day).

I was seriously looking at a 10/22 target setup for Appleseed and CMP shoots, but wasn't ready to put out what it takes to go that route when they announced the RAR. When I saw it and it struck me that it was time to go BACKWARDS in my training and really step up up my game.

In the end, I have to say that for me, this is a great "Get back to basics" shooter, very well suited to *MY* needs.

If I would recommend an entry level "post cricket" gun for the entire family it would be the Ruger American Rimfire in .22lr, Compact/Carbine sized. As stated above it shoots about as accurate as the Full/Rifle sized model, has the interchangeable stock setup that makes it configurable for pretty much anyone, and at ~$275 on the street it is hard to beat - especially compared to the other offerings in the class.

As a long (+25 yr) time 10/22 owner it is easy to see how a 10/22 is the logical next step up. It was the one I have worked my own daughters as well as a number of other folks up to from airguns, but the RAR as a bolt gun forces you to think about NPOA and good shooting skills a lot more, and you don't have the impulse to just send a bunch of lead downrange because you can.

It's only a matter of time before Tech comes out with a proper sight setup for it (the rear sights suck and have QC issues ATM). It will already accept a standard 3/8" or Warren scope setup and rimfire scopes are cheap and plentiful. It will fire any sv/hv ammo you can find. In short order various outfits will likely come out with Dragunov and various other thumbhole/target stock setups for it.

Full float barrel. Interchangeable stock setup. BX mags. Cheapish without being a POS. American Made right here in Newport, NH. It's the gun your great-grand-daddy bought in the hardware store when your grand-dad was young because the Winchester '94 was too big and "it was time" - but for our era.

My opinion (and we all know what those are like) is that as long as Ruger keeps a solid product and good CS going it is destined to be a classic. Given the success of the 10/22 and my own recent (and totally well handled) dealings with them (my first CS experience in 30 years as a Ruger owner) I really think they will do well with it.

Good write up. Looking forward to cleaning it and heading out to the range. Well balanced gun. Can't wait to start plinking and dialing it in.

Saw that I had some Cabela's Club money coming to me... So I went and picked one up this weekend. Range tonight! [dance]

What are people running for scope's on theirs? I'm thinking of going with a Leupold VX-2.

Saw that I had some Cabela's Club money coming to me... So I went and picked one up this weekend. Range tonight! [dance]

What are people running for scope's on theirs? I'm thinking of going with a Leupold VX-2.

I just picked up a Nikon 3-9 BDC - I shoot from matches at ranges from 50 feet to 50 yards and got a great deal on it, so it seemed to be the way to go. Pair with a set of Leupold 3/8" mount sight-through rings and you can use the irons or the scope flawlessly with only changing the stock insert.

Back
Top Bottom