New RI Bills - 10 round mag limit and stun gun carry

When these bills are scheduled by the Judiciary committee for public testimony, come to the state house and speak against/for them!

With a new judiciary committee we don't have Costa anymore to stop the bullshit!

how can we make sure we are notified about the progression of these bills and know when they are scheduled by the committee? Is there a web page or email list we can add ourselves to?

also, given the fact that I am an FFL in RI, based on 11-47-64, subsection B, exemption 3. Shall not apply to sale or transfer by a licensed dealer to military or LEO. So does that give me authority to possess said magazines in inventory to sell to appropriate parties?

Last edited:
how can we make sure we are notified about the progression of these bills and know when they are scheduled by the committee? Is there a web page or email list we can add ourselves to?

also, given the fact that I am an FFL in RI, based on 11-47-64, subsection B, exemption 3. Shall not apply to sale or transfer by a licensed dealer to military or LEO. So does that give me authority to possess said magazines in inventory to sell to appropriate parties?

Who knows, would a C&R holder be exempted as well?

To follow the bills, sign up for the bill tracker on the RI Assembly's website here: http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/billtracker/pages/Login.aspx?pagetype=

1) H5155 - Introduces a 10-round magazine limit. Existing mags owners would have 120 days to sell mag, move mag out of state or surrender to LEO.
I expected that the "no grandfather bans" would become common once CA led the way.

On another subject - front page of the Metrowest Daily News was an article about "Healy's legislative priorities". Crap, I didn't know an AG was supposed to have "legislative priorities".

Think I answered my own question, as it suggests one method of disposal to be selling said magazines to a licensed dealer.

(c) Any person who, prior to the effective date of this section, was legally in possession of a high capacity magazine, shall have one hundred twenty (120) days from such effective date to do any of the following without being subject to prosecution:

(1) Remove the high capacity magazine from the state;
(2) Sell the high capacity magazine to a licensed firearms dealer;
(3) Surrender the high capacity magazine to the appropriate law enforcement agency for destruction subject to specific agency regulations.

I love the brain dead scumbag politicians that throw this crap out there with no scientific or historical proof that by instituting this new law would change anything for "our protection" but they'll get ass hats to take it into consideration.

I love the brain dead scumbag politicians that throw this crap out there with no scientific or historical proof that by instituting this new law would change anything for "our protection" but they'll get ass hats to take it into consideration.

Notice who the sponsors are. They are the part of the "new" progressive party and I'm sure they will alienate themselves just as Finn did to herself.

There are several ways to track bills in RI.
1. If you want to track it yourself, you can sign up for an account on the State website (free) and enter the bills you want to track. http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/Pages/Default.aspx
2. You can check back on this forum and you can also subscribe to the thread and I think you will be notified any time someone posts.
3. RIFOL has a text message service that sends out text messages when there is a hearing (they typically schedule most of the gun bills at the same time). Click on the SMS button on this page to sign up either by email or sms http://www.rifol.org/
4. You can also sign up with the RI2nd Amendement Coalition's email list since they also sends out notifications. http://www.ri2nd.org/

Most importantly, spread the word and get as many people as possible to come to the hearing.

They seem to propose this crap every year and a ton of people show up to fight against it. Providence has some characters, but they have very good 2A support.

They seem to propose this crap every year and a ton of people show up to fight against it. Providence has some characters, but they have very good 2A support.

Also this year's sponsors are pretty much all of the "new" RI progressive party, Who is absent is the established anti-constitutionist such as Tanzi, I wonder how much of an impact Everytown cutting funding for RI has on them...

If SCOTUS is ever stupid enough to agree that states can regulation magazine size, California, MA, NY and most of the NE will then ban everything but single shot muzzle loaders, bolt action rifles, and single and double barrel shotguns.
This is their goal. It always has been. Bernie Sanders was the only one to actually say it out loud.

2 more yesterday:

House Bill No. 5262
(Attorney General)
BY Diaz, Slater, Williams, Maldonado
ENTITLED, AN ACT RELATING TO CRIMINAL OFFENSES - WEAPONS (Makes it unlawful to carry a rifle or shotgun in a vehicle, except under limited circumstances and enhances the penalty to anyone who transfers a firearm as a minor which is then used in a crime of violence.)
{LC750/1}
01/27/2017 Introduced, referred to House Judiciary

House Bill No. 5263
(Attorney General)
BY Diaz, Slater, Williams, Maldonado
ENTITLED, AN ACT RELATING TO CRIMINAL OFFENSES - WEAPONS (Amends the statute for possession of firearms by minors.)
{LC736/1}
01/27/2017 Introduced, referred to House Judiciary

http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/BillText/BillText17/HouseText17/H5262.pdf
http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/BillText/BillText17/HouseText17/H5263.pdf

10 round magazine ban introduced and no CC on school grounds.

Senate Bill No. 223
BY Goldin, Coyne, Miller, DaPonte, Goodwin
ENTITLED, AN ACT RELATING TO CRIMINAL OFFENSES -- WEAPONS (Criminalizes the manufacture, import, possession, purchase, sale or transfer of any ammunition feeding device capable of accepting more than ten (10) rounds known as high capacity magazines.)
{LC828/1}
02/02/2017 Introduced, referred to Senate Judiciary

House Bill No. 5345
BY Kazarian, Ajello, Blazejewski, Tanzi, Hull
ENTITLED, AN ACT RELATING TO CRIMINAL OFFENSES - WEAPONS (Provides that only peace officers and persons approved by the school authorities for the purposes of educational instruction may carry firearms or other weapons on school grounds.)
{LC1044/1}
02/02/2017 Introduced, referred to House Judiciary

http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/BillText/BillText17/SenateText17/S0223.pdf
http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/BillText/BillText17/HouseText17/H5345.pdf

What is their likelihood of passing?

It's a crap shoot. That being said the past 4 or so years we have historically had a great turn out, sometimes out numbering the anti's by double. My best recommendation is to mobilize all of your friends and go to the state house to testify against the bills. This year we lost some great people on both sides of the isle that protected our interests and might be tougher than usually. Thankfully most of the members on the judiciary committees have some form of tradecraft in the legal area and are fully aware of the legal ramifications shall they pass.

I expected that the "no grandfather bans" would become common once CA led the way.

On another subject - front page of the Metrowest Daily News was an article about "Healy's legislative priorities". Crap, I didn't know an AG was supposed to have "legislative priorities".

How is that not a taking? I was under the impression that the grandfathering was in most of those to eliminate the problem with taking someone's property without compensation.

Back
Top Bottom