new respect for preppers

I just grabbed a 6 month supply ($1497) of food from www.mypatriotsupply.com. Free shipping and $7 more than buying a year supply outright. 8 WEEK LEADTIME, I’ll order another 6 month supply next month after the credit card closes and that will put me at 2 years of ready made and at least a year of off the shelf.

My patriot supply is good - I bought some 2 week totes a while back and we have been testing it.

My reasoning -
1) money printing, it ain’t getting cheaper.
2) people have gone nutz on the kung-flu and a second round will bring even stricter lockdowns,
3) the way things are going - zombies

I'm also a light prepper and pretty comfortable right now. I can last several months but if it goes beyond a the point where have to go to the seed vaults and re-establish civilization, I'm tapping out.

l‘m in the same place. The traditional bug in would be untenable where I am anyway and you can only carry so much.

Bob

I just grabbed a 6 month supply ($1497) of food from www.mypatriotsupply.com. Free shipping and $7 more than buying a year supply outright. 8 WEEK LEADTIME, I’ll order another 6 month supply next month after the credit card closes and that will put me at 2 years of ready made and at least a year of off the shelf.

My patriot supply is good - I bought some 2 week totes a while back and we have been testing it.

My reasoning -
2) people have gone nutz on the kung-flu and a second round will bring even stricter lockdowns,

I was close
151223132313-08-black-lives-matter-super-169.jpg

Sending another 6mo order out today.

My reasoning -

While I like My Patriot Supply and have several of their 2 months and 4 week supplies, all and all I find it a little overpriced and heavy on rice. I think it will last unlike the eFoods Direct which I have seen many people experience go bad, but I have found that I wanted a little more variety and that for me it is a mixed group.

I have about 4 months of this kind of storable food, but then another 8+ months of individual supplies such as soups, canned meats, rice, pasta, dry milk, powdered eggs, etc. My goal is to rotate the canned / dry goods at a rate where nothing is beyond storage date, and I have been doing more storage with food-safe oxygen absorbers, moving things like bagged rice to better glass / sealed plastic.

The only thing I disliked about My Patriot, is it seems like a lot of it could be self source as a rice-soup mixed meal.

One of the best things I have bought has been a vaacum sealer which I use weekly

I have freeze dried food like mountain house for traveling or vacations. If I was storing it for long term specifically, I'd bucket a few hundred pounds of rice and spaghetti, then add one pouch to each prepped group meal. I.e. cook 4 cups of rice, add one MH meal bag to flavor, divide into 4 servings.

If you are just starting to prep, get a BJs membership and go buy a few hundred pounds of rice. Go to home depot and buy a few buckets. Hop on Amazon and order 5gal mylar bags with 02 absorbers. Make your buckets. For a few hundred bucks you can store enough calories for a person for a year.

From there buy stuff to add. Spices, canned tuna, etc.

Millions of people survive on rice. Don't ignore the simple, basic foods because they seem boring. Boring for a year is better than blowing money for 30days of freeze dried food and then starving to death.

I stored a lot of stuff in buckets in Mylar bags with O2 & H2O absorbers. I just remembered I had some spare Mylar bags and absorbers so I sealed up the 50lbs of Brown Rice I bought in February.

Earlier this month, I used up the bag of rice I had upstairs and had not seen any in the stores. So I went to my stash and pulled out a 40lb bucket I put away in 2012. My wife started asking questions so I gave her the run down of the list - she sighed but I didn’t get yelled at given the current situation.

My next 6 month supply order from Patriot Supply is confirmed - now out more than 8 weeks. I agree that there are better/more cost effective ways, but I’m prepping for an easy way to make meals when I need to schedule a rotating watch as well as other options.

Remember brown rice does not store as well as white rice. Brown can go rancid

True, but my test on 2012 packed Brown is no odd smells, tastes just fine. I do have white stored as well - but my last purchase in February was limited by what they had and the incoming Kung-Flu.

I regards to the TP - I always bought with the BJs coupon. I had 6 bulk packs when this started - my wife still think I’m nuts on that one.

Couple cases of cheap vodka and whisky go a long way too......and doesnt end up arming someone you might have second thoughts about
I was going the way of Nips for smaller transactions. My LLS has them for a buck a piece, Have been buying them ten at a time. Whiskey and Vodka should be most popular.

Just about everything is coming back into stock at local stores (except ammo and kids swimming pools). Time to start thinking about round 2 coming this Winter.

As others have stated: I thought I had enough fresh food and front pantry food, turned out in a few weeks it was gone.
Its amazing how much you eat at home when you never go out.
Fresh veggies are the first to go.
More veggies, more bread (or bread making supplies)
Add to freezer space.
More variety besides beef/pork/chicken
More snacks for the kids.

Couple cases of cheap vodka and whisky go a long way too......and doesnt end up arming someone you might have second thoughts about

Actually you cannot live on Vodka. You can however on doppelbock - The monks created this "liquid bread" so they could do their fasts with no solid food.

I tried this out for Lent this year and would do 4 beers a day. Had a couple cheat days in there as well as ate regular on Sunday, but overall went about 34 of the 40 days on beer alone. Side benefit, I was by far more relaxed

Actually you cannot live on Vodka. You can however on doppelbock - The monks created this "liquid bread" so they could do their fasts with no solid food.

I tried this out for Lent this year and would do 4 beers a day. Had a couple cheat days in there as well as ate regular on Sunday, but overall went about 34 of the 40 days on beer alone. Side benefit, I was by far more relaxed

How was your weight?

Home security is something I need to improve upon. I’m in a very low crime area but am seeing more local reports of vandalism, theft and home break-ins as the scumbags have become more emboldened.

How was your weight?

I actually dropped about 25 pounds. I really was only hungry a couple of times.

Basically it is around a 1400 calorie diet. Since it is 4 beers spread out threw out the day, I think the kidneys and liver are not stressed and if anything it is probably a partial cleanse / reset.

Home security is something I need to improve upon. I’m in a very low crime area but am seeing more local reports of vandalism, theft and home break-ins as the scumbags have become more emboldened.
I have a reel of barbed wire left over from the days I had cattle. Ready to string across my front yard.

Don't forget the financial prepping. I'm usually a month ahead on the mortgage. When I have an extra paycheck in a month I still keep to my scheduled every other check goes to the mortgage. So I'm good until May 1st!

In 1993, I lost my job for the first time and we were caught with no cash reserves. Never again. Over the next 2 years, we sacrificed and saved 6 months of earnings and put it in the bank. It would last a year on austerity, if we needed it. It provided liquid funds if we ever needed it. In 2004, we needed it when I lost my job again. I still have this reserve today! ;)

I have freeze dried food like mountain house for traveling or vacations. If I was storing it for long term specifically, I'd bucket a few hundred pounds of rice and spaghetti, then add one pouch to each prepped group meal. I.e. cook 4 cups of rice, add one MH meal bag to flavor, divide into 4 servings.

If you are just starting to prep, get a BJs membership and go buy a few hundred pounds of rice. Go to home depot and buy a few buckets. Hop on Amazon and order 5gal mylar bags with 02 absorbers. Make your buckets. For a few hundred bucks you can store enough calories for a person for a year.

From there buy stuff to add. Spices, canned tuna, etc.

Millions of people survive on rice. Don't ignore the simple, basic foods because they seem boring. Boring for a year is better than blowing money for 30days of freeze dried food and then starving to death.

Store away some wheat berries ( whole unprocessed wheat ) and buy a grain mill. You can grind the wheat into flour to make bread, boil the wheat to make cereal and plant the wheat berries to harvest more wheat.

Store away some pearled barley. It can be eaten as a cereal or added to a beef soup as added calories. Even flavored with some beef bullion it makes a palatable meal.

Store away some lentils, dried pinto beans, dried great northern beans, dried navy beans, quinoa, oat groates, steel cut oats, rolled oates,

View: https://youtu.be/LxXeBTmSNgY

Store away coarse canning salt, sugar, bullion cubes, pasta ( all types) spices, vinegar, canned chicken ( store bought or home canned ), corn starch, peanut butter, cooking oils, lard, whole bean roasted coffee ( vacuum packed).

Last edited:
I have everything except the wheat berries and mill. Ive looked and always thought about it. Almost bought a Country Living mill a few times. Just never pulled the trigger. Maybe next year I'll buy some and try planting.

I have everything except the wheat berries and mill. Ive looked and always thought about it. Almost bought a Country Living mill a few times. Just never pulled the trigger. Maybe next year I'll buy some and try planting.

This is the mill I have. I bought it because it can be operated manually or with a V belt and motor. I have a 12v DC Bodine motor with a gear reduction and a variable speed controler to keep the rpm below 100~ so it doesn't heat up the product as it's grinding.
It will produce flour as fine as talcom powder or coarse crack corn by adjusting the cutters. Stainless steel cutters so easy cleanup.
image.jpeg

Store away some wheat berries ( whole unprocessed wheat ) and buy a grain mill. You can grind the wheat into flour to make bread, boil the wheat to make cereal and plant the wheat berries to harvest more wheat.

Store away some pearled barley. It can be eaten as a cereal or added to a beef soup as added calories. Even flavored with some beef bullion it makes a palatable meal.

Store away some lentils, dried pinto beans, dried great northern beans, dried navy beans, quinoa, oat groates, steel cut oats, rolled oates,

View: https://youtu.be/LxXeBTmSNgY

Store away coarse canning salt, sugar, bullion cubes, pasta ( all types) spices, vinegar, canned chicken ( store bought or home canned ), corn starch, peanut butter, cooking oils, lard, whole bean roasted coffee ( vacuum packed).

And baking soda.

#99 GrainMaker Mill looks like a great mill and reviews say it blows away the Country Living Mill by leaps and bounds.
The #116 is impressive, but at $1200, I'd need another Covid Stimulus Check... [rofl2}

Anyone have/tried the GrainMaker #35 mill?

1594784060226.png

Last edited:
Even if we never see a full-on depression or anything like that, who wouldn't want to add some skills to their toolbelt and lower their grocery bills with your own organic produce.

I can't convince my brother in law. He wouldn't even water or harvest his dad's abundant garden when dad was on vacation in Maine for a week. Everything died. His reasoning is that it is a waste of time when you can just buy it at the store.

I can't convince my brother in law. He wouldn't even water or harvest his dad's abundant garden when dad was on vacation in Maine for a week. Everything died. His reasoning is that it is a waste of time when you can just buy it at the store.
That is exactly where they want us as a whole. Completely and utterly dependant on the system.

Back
Top Bottom