new respect for preppers

A huuuge victory, last night I told my wife "you can't complain anymore about having guns in the house", and she
grudgingly agreed. Thank you, sars-cov-2!

[serious note: I'm joking about thanking the virus. It's an awful situation, and I wish like anything it never happened]

Buying a few weeks of groceries barely scratches the surface of prepping. I am not convinced (yet) that I should till the front lawn and plant crops. We’ll see how this thing plays out though

Last edited:
Buying a few weeks of groceries barely scratches the surface of prepping. I am not convinced (yet) that I should till the front lawn and plans crops. We’ll see how this thing plays out though

Prep up some seeds JIC. By the time you decide you need to do it there won't be anything good left. LOL

Buying a few weeks of groceries barely scratches the surface of prepping. I am not convinced (yet) that I should till the front lawn and plans crops. We’ll see how this thing plays out though

Everybody should have a garden, large or small, grow something......it will keep you educated on the subject and put some food on your table.

It irks the hell out of me that people living in big cities complain about no grocery stores ( food deserts) then their city governments spend millions to build lit basketball courts and parks instead of making community gardens where people can socialize, get educated and grow some good food for themselves.

Planted a small garden last year, Had all the tomatoes, and cucumbers we could use. In the process of building a 4' x 15' raised bed for this year. Like to try some other vegetables and try some canning. 3 or 4 apple trees would be nice too. Pretty confident with our pantry now, but I see how a garden is key.

yep.
That was my last prep just recently, ordered some seeds for fresh veggies.

First thing I learned about times like this: Fresh Veggies are the first to go. Have a plan for them.
Here I am all stocked with generators and three different fuels to run them all for weeks.....and I have no veggies. [banghead]

Coming from New England, we've always had some supplies on hand in case of a Nor'easter. When we moved to Georgia, we adjusted a few things because the threat was now hurricanes, and the chance of losing power is greater, (trees come down easily here because the soil doesn't support deep roots).

So, we've always had at least 4 weeks worth of food and water on hand, we have a generator and gas for it. We have stocks of meds and first-aid gear, we have camping supplies, bleach, etc, etc.

My wife has gardens, but they're for beauty, not food. Last week we planted vegetables...

Planted a small garden last year, Had all the tomatoes, and cucumbers we could use. In the process of building a 4' x 15' raised bed for this year. Like to try some other vegetables and try some canning. 3 or 4 apple trees would be nice too. Pretty confident with our pantry now, but I see how a garden is key.

Just so you know, apple trees and most other fruit trees are not "plant and forget", they require off season maintenance like pruning and several in season sprayings for pests. It's one reason why I have not planted any on my farm. I'd just as soon go buy a couple of bushels from a guy who has an established orchard.

They also take 3-4 years ( properly cared for) to start producing good apples, and you might need to plant different varieties for pollination to occur.

Last edited:
yep.
That was my last prep just recently, ordered some seeds for fresh veggies.

First thing I learned about times like this: Fresh Veggies are the first to go. Have a plan for them.
Here I am all stocked with generators and three different fuels to run them all for weeks.....and I have no veggies. [banghead]

Get a freezer and learn how to can, different fruits and veggies are preserved differently.

I can honestly say, as a light prepper for several years, that I'm not feeling any pain or anxiety. I've put thought about what exactly would happen in a SHTF scenario. I'm also an avid hiker/backpacker, so I know how to live out of a bag, setup shelter, navigate, start and maintain fires, etc. It's kinda funny to see people panicking with TP and chicken hoarding. I'll gladly shit against a tree and roast a freshly-caught bass filet.
Don't forget the financial prepping.
Yes!! It's astonishing to realize majority of Americans don't have an emergency fund to last not even 3 months. With Americans, when their paycheck increases, so does their lifestyle. Money is scarce: very hard to obtain, but gone in an instant.

I am doing a few raised beds myself, once this snow melts.

Buying a few weeks of groceries barely scratches the surface of prepping. I am not convinced (yet) that I should till the front lawn and plant crops. We’ll see how this thing plays out though

Do it, you can't eat a well manicured lawn, unless it's big enough to feed something you plan on turning into food.

I have my first round of chickens in the brooder right now and am going to be clearing about a 1/4 acre out back for a half dozen pigs. Maybe some other critters down the road.

I can honestly say, as a light prepper for several years, that I'm not feeling any pain or anxiety. I've put thought about what exactly would happen in a SHTF scenario. I'm also an avid hiker/backpacker, so I know how to live out of a bag, setup shelter, navigate, start and maintain fires, etc. It's kinda funny to see people panicking with TP and chicken hoarding. I'll gladly shit against a tree and roast a freshly-caught bass filet.

Yes!! It's astonishing to realize majority of Americans don't have an emergency fund to last not even 3 months. With Americans, when their paycheck increases, so does their lifestyle. Money is scarce: very hard to obtain, but gone in an instant.

I'm also a light prepper and pretty comfortable right now. I can last several months but if it goes beyond a the point where have to go to the seed vaults and re-establish civilization, I'm tapping out.

First thing I did when I bought my house 3 years ago. I have great southern exposure on my front lawn. I also planted a dozen apple trees and some blueberry bushes.

Coming from New England, we've always had some supplies on hand in case of a Nor'easter. When we moved to Georgia, we adjusted a few things because the threat was now hurricanes, and the chance of losing power is greater, (trees come down easily here because the soil doesn't support deep roots).

So, we've always had at least 4 weeks worth of food and water on hand, we have a generator and gas for it. We have stocks of meds and first-aid gear, we have camping supplies, bleach, etc, etc.

My wife has gardens, but they're for beauty, not food. Last week we planted vegetables...

I came from the Midwest where I had a coal room in the basement with a few days of emergency supplies in case of tornados.

Here, we are ready for blizzards and power outages etc. The first hurricane the looked like it was heading our way was Irene. I did my last minute preps and waited. And waited.......waited........ still waiting for Irene to show up. Days and days of waiting and then it finally blew through and unfortunately for VT did a lot of damage.

After that I had no pity for anyone who wasn't ready for a hurricane. It takes freakin forever for them to move.

Never really thought of veggies in my prepping except for what I have that's freeze dried. Once things settled down I'll add that to the list of what to have on hand just in case. I have to imagine though that the shelf life for seeds are fairly short. Have enough room to plant a garden, we just haven't done it yet.

Never really thought of veggies in my prepping except for what I have that's freeze dried. Once things settled down I'll add that to the list of what to have on hand just in case. I have to imagine though that the shelf life for seeds are fairly short. Have enough room to plant a garden, we just haven't done it yet.
seeds, if stored properly, can last centuries. They germinated wheat from the pyramids.

I have a good amount of rabbits where I am. Do I have to enclose everything, including below ground? How high Up and below the ground level do I need to go?

I have a good amount of rabbits where I am. Do I have to enclose everything, including below ground? How high Up and below the ground level do I need to go?

Back
Top Bottom