• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New reloading bench

Len and others...

If you are looking to make something like this from a counter top, check out Home Depot. You are likely to find a scratch and dent top for low $, and even if you do buy new, if you get one of the pre made pieces out of the rack, you are only looking at 30-50$ for a decent size piece. One word of caution though... Some of the new counter tops have a rounded front edge that is slightly raised to prevent liquid from running off. I would stay away from those, as it would make it next to impossible for easily mounting a press.

Adam

I don't see anything wrong with watching TV if you are doing the less-than-critical steps of case prep, however I wouldn't want it on while I was charging cases!

Adam

I use a Gorrilla bench that I bought at Home Depot. I like this setup because it is extremely sturdy, has storage underneath, 2 drawers, pegboard, and a light that works great to help inspect that powder is in in the case. Anyways, here is my setup with my Dillon XL650.

reloading002.jpg

reloading007.jpg

Last edited:
Adam_MA said:
Glad I could help.
Like I said before, if you need any help getting things setup on that press, just let me know and I'll take some pics and answer some questions for ya!

Adam

Well, my first Midway order under my C&R discount arrived today. Among the goodies are the Lee Adjustable Charge Bar at $6.49 (thanks Adam!!). I also got the Lee Relader Pack at $21 and a half. The book alone is worth a 3rd more than that. The little single stage press will see much use for depriming, and for loading .38 Spl until I set up the progressive for it.

I also picked up a quick-check max. cartridge gauge and spot checked a bunch of .40 rounds I loaded this weekend. Before this I was only checking OAL with my calipers. Most of the rounds chambered in the gauge fine, but about 5% had problems. I'm guessing that I'm not crimping enough, and variability in case length might be the compounding the problem. Even though the P99 is chambering and firing everything I feed it fine, I'll shoot for perfection. I think I'll take advantage of the little single stage press and order a Lee Factory Crimp die and leave the progressive seater where it is, and run everything thru the FC die. Should be faster than checking all the incoming brass and trimming it if it's past .843" like I'm doing now.

don't bother trimming cases for pistol. There is no need. If the case is too long then throw it out. Get yourself the Lee Factory crimp die and you'll be fine. Don't over crimp your cases either as it will shorten brass life and add extra pressure. You want a fairly light crimp on your loads. I hardly ever chamber check my rounds unless it is match ammo. Since I started using the Factory Crimp die all my ammo feeds great. This is also going into a Schuemann match barrel with super tight tolerances. For a good deal on bullets go to (edit to remove link). He's got some pretty good prices. You're still shooting jacketed right? Don't be tempted to switch to lead to save a little money. It is unsafe, gums up your dies, and smokes a lot more when you shoot.

Pete

Mod: Please send links only via PM

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooooo, good link Pete! I'm starting to accumulate quite a list of bullet head suppliers. I've only bought one lot of 1000 bullets so far and just loaded 50 to test. All performed well today. They were from (edit to remove link) -- it is a hard cast bullet, but it doesn't seem to act like one, as they claim. No smoke, and the bore was very clean. In comparison, I shot a box of 50 lead bullets in the J Frame from Dick's, and they definitly acted like lead -- smoking, and the gun was filthy after only 50 rounds. But, the price is only $10 more per 1000 than at the site you just posted, so I'll be ordering up a 1000 of the 180 gr. Speers shortly.

Mod: Please send links only via PM

Last edited by a moderator:
Bench finished

Last night I got home to find my order from Midway sitting on the deck. So I did the only natural thing, I grabbed a beer, and headed for the reloading bench to setup my new toys.

Here are a couple pictures of the bench with my new single stage press, case trimmer, and powder measure all setup. Also, I added some little step shelving to keep all my dies, powder, and other necessities organized.

I can't wait to do some reloading this weekend.

Press005.jpg

Press006.jpg

Press008.jpg

What do you think?
Adam

Adam_MA said:
Last night I got home to find my order from Midway sitting on the deck. So I did the only natural thing, I grabbed a beer, and headed for the reloading bench to setup my new toys.

Here are a couple pictures of the bench with my new single stage press, case trimmer, and powder measure all setup. Also, I added some little step shelving to keep all my dies, powder, and other necessities organized.

I can't wait to do some reloading this weekend.

What do you think?
Adam

Sweeeeeet!!! I'm inspired, your basement looks alot like mine -- I even have the exact same washer and dryer.....

Nickle said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tele_mark
God, I'm living in the wrong part of the country (and in the wrong line of work).

I keep telling you folks to move up my way. Lots of skiing and freedom.

Believe me, I'll be there! But it'll be bittersweet, as it'll mean I've received my inheritance.....

tele_mark said:
Sweeeeeet!!! I'm inspired, your basement looks alot like mine -- I even have the exact same washer and dryer.....
I sure hope you have more head room than I do! There are only a small handful of spots that I can actually upright. Those places are only between a select few floor joists.

Adam

That's funny!
Actually that side of the basement is the only cinder block side. 2 other sides are stone, and the last side is poured concrete. I figure that the cinder block addition was added in the early 70's, and the addition with the poured concrete was done some time in the 80's.

Adam

If any one is looking for a counter top to make a bench out of, from time to time i can get countertops dirt cheap. I work for the company that supplies most of the home depots in NE with their tops. it can be a bit sporadic but if there is any interest i can list some specs on what we got. some weeks there is none, some times we will have up to a dozen. if color and style arent a preference it makes it a lot easier. hope this helps Located in SE mass

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom