New Push for Microstamping; Proponents Claim Technology ‘Has Arrived’

Could you set off a primer with a laser? It would be interesting to test out what the smallest laser that could do it is. I have a few ideas now...
Im more just interested in trying it than anything
You're going to need a powerful laser; if only to avoid a long wait after pulling the trigger. Primers are reflective, and the brass shell casing and steel chamber are both good conductors of heat.

Then there's the issue of protecting the optics and laser diode from everything subsequent to the primer being ignited.

You're going to need a powerful laser. Primers are reflective, and the brass shell casing and steel chamber are both good conductors of heat.
Thats the overall issue, it'll take a laser with a large power source that would make this not actually usable aside from having fun doing something useless

Thats the overall issue, it'll take a laser with a large power source that would make this not actually usable aside from having fun doing something useless
And if you've got a big power source, just use it to charge a capacitor and dump it across the primer when you're ready to vaporize the primer fire

How utterly stupid.

a) revolvers do not expel spent shell casings. There are untold millions of revolvers in circulation.
b) firing pins are easily replaceable
c) random range brass tossed around
d) with two pieces of electrical tape and a mesh onion bag, you can create a universal brass catcher for any semiautomatic gun.

Another piece of BS that just lets some legislators pat themselves on the back on the news, when it would do F-all in the real world for real crimes involving real criminals who have no issue taking a file to the striker tip for all of 5 seconds to remove the markings. All it would do is attempt to further regulate lawful gun owners who don't require regulation and where this is already a non-issue. There are also comical loopholes. What if someone picks up a fist full of someone else's spent brass at the range, all coded with this technique, and toss it on the ground when they commit a crime? What if someone just changes out the striker? Would you then have to regulate strikers? JFC.

How utterly stupid.

a) revolvers do not expel spent shell casings. There are untold millions of revolvers in circulation.
b) firing pins are easily replaceable
c) random range brass tossed around
d) with two pieces of electrical tape and a mesh onion bag, you can create a universal brass catcher for any semiautomatic gun.
Replacing your firing pin with 1 that cannot micro stamp will be illegal. They will make it illegal to purchase a new pin from anyone but the manufacturer.

One wonders how they expect to handle the millions of existing guns.

One wonders what will be done with "antiques" that in some cases don't even use cartridges with primers.

Hell I have some firearms that don't even have firing pins. Pin fire. Flint lock.

This is all just so absurd

To brutally mangle Orwell & Syndrome: "When everything is illegal, nothing is illegal"
"Jan had told him many times, "It was you to me who taught
In Jersey anything's legal as long as you don't get caught"

Couldn't someone just call Eric Holder to pick up a few items they need to commit a crime? Asking for a friend.

Caveat Emptor

Nuf Ced.

If someone wants to market such a thing, let them.
If someone wants to buy such a thing, let them.

Mandating it is where I draw the line.

Reasons off the top of my head such a mandate would fail:
  • There are how many (half a billion?) guns already in existence that do NOT have this technology. criminals will used those instead of a new gun with microstamping.
  • firing pins can be swapped or modified.
  • Revolvers don't leave shell casings
  • shell catchers exist
  • If you don't buy one, you can make one with an onion bag and two pieces of electrical tape.
  • Shell casings can be picked up and removed from crime scenes
  • OTHER shell casings can be picked up at i.e. a gun range, and dropped at crime scenes
  • After shooting someone with a gun that does microstamping, said gun can just be tossed aside. Who's to know who shot anyone with it then??

People who know nothing about guns should not be making laws about guns.

Back
Top Bottom