• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Project - 10/22 Stock

W

wolf223

I got sucked into this on Ebay, right after I sold some extra stuff I had laying around.

[thinking]now to get a 10/22.....

back asswards, but oh well.

The Bi-Pod is universal, I got it on cheapter than dirt and jerry-rigged it to my Mossberg 702.

DSCN0250.jpg

DSCN0251.jpg

"ghetto grip" attached

DSCN0252.jpg

I will probably pick up a 10/22 in the next month or so. got some research to do first

buchotlips.jpg

Does any fellow Ma**h*** have any experience with these? They are stocked at Dick's Sporting Goods and says that you can attach them to each other and make 20 or 30 round magazines....

these are MA legal 10 rounders as indicated on the box... I asked the sales guy, but he didn't know and there were no instruction on the box. i've trolled rimfire central and still searching... but just wondering if anyone here has used them.

You can't make them into 20 or 30 rounders like a true 20 or 30 rounder. What they do is hook together at the base with other mags of the same type. The one in the middle of this pic would be a 30 rounder per se.

Other than that they're not bad, and easier to remove from the mag well of a 10/22.

Last edited:
I believe that Dick's doesn't stock the BC Steel Lips. From what I hear, the steel lips feed more reliably. I have 1 BC Steel Lip mag and it works good. For MA residents, you can't beat the factory Ruger mags. There is this doohickey that lets you join 2 or 4 Ruger mags togehter,

thank you JonJ... this is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for...

**damn me and my luck... on the day is was willing to swipe the debit card, they only had the stainless 10/22 [sad2]

so i'll pop into my normal stores between now and next weekend - i want to dress up this stock and actually shoot it.... i even mounted the cheap lazer and it looks cool... otherwise totally useless. LOL

DSCN0262.jpg

DSCN0266.jpg

DSCN0270.jpg

Picked up a 10/22RB on June 5, 2008. Dropped it in the stock and sighted in the scope. I ran 200 rounds of CCI mini-mags w/o a single hitch. The scope is a cheapo from my Mossberg 702 Plinkster. It's ok for indoor.. but I'll replace it soon.

Problem:

I can NOT get the magazine to pop out from the bottom - i have to lock the bolt to the rear and use my fingers or a pencil to pop it out from the top... anyone else run into this problem with aftermarket stocks?

I guess i should have have shot it "regular" before changing it out. [thinking]

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like it's time to take an Exacto to the new stock.

And forgive me for asking... but WHY did you to that to an innocent unsuspecting 10/22?

Hot Lips mags worked well for me so long as I kept my 10/22 barrel stock. Once I switched to a heavy barrel with a tighter chamber, I had to go back to factory mags, and had to get a better extractor.

i have other obligations right now and can't afford the "big boy" toys right now - so this was a good cheap fun to get into.

total cost after 200 rounds was $330(ish)
-10/22 $199.99 +tax
-stock $115 after shipping
-200 rounds of CCI-mini-mag $15.99

i will probably paint it next.... who knows. maybe I'll throw the factory stock back on there... [thinking]

NO MORE .22LR guns for me!!! They are fun at first, cheap but booooring to shoot IMO. LOL - i need to get it outside and shoot.

i think i'm definatley going with an AR build or mini-14 next.

Last edited by a moderator:
NO MORE .22LR guns for me!!! They are fun at first, cheap but booooring to shoot IMO. LOL - i need to get it outside and shoot.
Heh. I used to say that, too... until someone asked me if I could hit a 1" square target 10 times out of 10 at 25 meters. Without a bipod.

My handguns are getting jealous because my 10/22s are getting all the workouts as I try to improve my shooting. Ask JonJ, Tele-Mark and Bob999 if they were bored yesterday spending 5 hours shooting 10/22s.

Bring that sucker to the next Appleseed Shoot up in Athol and see if you're bored. Bet you won't be...

I've attached a file you can print out with 6 1" squares on it that you can practice with. If that's too easy, print out this and this and shoot the AQT - 5 shots standing, kneeling or sitting and prone - without the bipod - and see how you do.

(to make this clearer: shoot this target at 25 meters or 82 feet; it mimics full size targets at 100, 200, 300 and 400 yards. Shoot the 100 yard target standing, the 200 sitting or kneeling and the 300 and 400 yard targets prone)

Hint: JonJ shot a 223 Saturday with a 10/22 equipped with Tech-Sights and a sling. Oh, yeah... and a slightly smoothed out trigger and an extended magazine release... that's it.

Attachments

• drilltarget.pdf
    29.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Just adding my agreement to Dwarven1's comments...

Why go halfway with that interesting 10/22 project? With minimal additional investment, you can turn it into a very capable battle rifle trainer (LTR). Throw on some Tech Sights, sign up for the next Appleseed, and earn yourself a "Rifleman" patch. You'll find out exactly how boring .22LR is not.

i will look into it. i gazed at the website last night.

i'm gone for two weeks every month fron now through November, so it won't be this summer. definatley fall or spring.

thanks a bunch.

Finsihed my 10/22-but now I want to redo it and have a couple questions....

so i still have the "itch" to get some more toys to dress this baby up (again).

i've noticed scopes and stocks on eBay (again) for decent money.

are the charger stocks illegal? they almost look like mini 14 target guns I've seen (i think)

this item caught my eye, and i have more than enough $$$ left over on pay pal to buy it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ruger-10-22-sto...ryZ73949QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

the last stock i bought had a telescoping butt stock - so I took it off the ruger just to be safe.

i gazed at the confusing mass laws and can NOT figure out if it's just illegal for dealers sell firearms with collapsable or telescoping butt stocks or if it's OK for me to buy aftermarket ones and switch them out.

if this has been answered, i'm sorry. i tried the search but i tend to be specific.

Collapsible / folding stocks fall under the old federal AWB:

(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) a grenade launcher;

(EDIT: I clearly should not be posting before my coffee kicks in. I'd originally stated that the above would allow you to use your current stock, which clearly is not the case. I'm not sure if there's a distinction between an "adjustable" and a "telescoping" - I need to do more digging on that, as there's a nice adjustable AR stock I'd love to have on my otherwise MA-compliant rifle.)

As for the new one, I believe it may put you into SBR territory, if your overall length is going to be under 26". If you put a 22" bbl on it you may be ok, but that would be one awkward SOB. The Ruger Charger, for which that butt-less stock was designed, gets around that by being designated a pistol. Since your 10/22's receiver is a rifle, you won't be able to build an <26" OAL Charger out of it.

Last edited:
(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) a grenade launcher;

Yep, it's illegal.

So much for the charger...

thanks, I appreciate it. now, back to the drawing board.

If you're gonna go with the hi-caps at elast get good ones. 1) avaoid anything from Butler Creek - it's cheap for a reason. Also the biggest no-no is any of the mags with platic feed lips. Go with the ones from Tactical Innovatiosn. They have two kindas and they're head and sholders above the other fodder.
Nothing wrong with the cart before the horse tactic of buying a stock before you have the metalwork of the gun. Have 3 10/22 stocks awaiting bbled actions.

If you're gonna go with the hi-caps at elast get good ones. 1) avaoid anything from Butler Creek - it's cheap for a reason. Also the biggest no-no is any of the mags with platic feed lips. Go with the ones from Tactical Innovatiosn. They have two kindas and they're head and sholders above the other fodder.
Nothing wrong with the cart before the horse tactic of buying a stock before you have the metalwork of the gun. Have 3 10/22 stocks awaiting bbled actions.

I live in MA - so no "cool" toys for me... [sad]

I've tried a (pre-'94) high-cap on my 10/22, and while it has plastic feed lips, I don't think I'll use it enough for the cheap design to be a factor. The 10/22's magazine well is positioned in such a way that a curved high-cap mag sits exactly where my forearm wants to be. I used it during an Appleseed this spring, but I think I'll stick to factory 10-rounders in the future.

Now, the one 10/22 stock which would be perfect for a high-cap mag would be one of these bullpups. Not that I'm trying to give you any ideas, Jay... [smile]

thanks Chris,

i've read other posts right here that those are unreliable...

i think i'm going to go with a "classic" look / target gun....

i'm already trolling for a stock & barrel combo...

so far, the Hogue and Monte Carlo seem have good reviews. although I like what MILSURPS 4 ME did on his....

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37963

-nothing too over the top, but i like that.

then again, I saw this

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=101896493#PIC

WOW! [shocked]

so far, the Hogue and Monte Carlo seem have good reviews. although I like what MILSURPS 4 ME did on his....

I have the Hogue, and it works perfectly for me with the Tech sights. However, if you're planning on using a scope, you'll probably want a higher comb. M4M's looks like it's a perfect fit for his scope -- and why am I not surprised that he went for the Dragunov stock? [grin]

NICE! I want one! [smile]

Just an update...

I sold the Christie and Christie stock (see post # 1) within a day of posting it on Ebay. The buyer was from out of state.

This morning, I went ahead and ordered a Hogue Overmolded Stock for a 10/22 w/bull barrel for short $$$$. I may have enough to buy a decent scope with the remaining funds in paypal.

So now, I am trolling Cabela's for a bull barrel with my points from my discover card...

-for the amount of money I've spent, I might as well try and save a little here and there....

the thrill of persuit!

hahahahaha - this is one of my favorite parts of the hobby.

Picture of the Hogue Stock. I like the way it feels. I probably will NOT mount it until I get the bull barrel and scope.

Picture of the Hogue Stock. I like the way it feels. I probably will NOT mount it until I get the bull barrel and scope.

If you got the .920 target barrel stock, I don't think you'll be able to mount it correctly until you install the new barrel.

Add barrel, mounts, rings, and scope and you're only about $300 from a great target .22 rifle depending on if you buy smart and don't splurge on the barrel and optics.[wink]

I like the Mueller APV scopes for .22 rimfire.

If you got the .920 target barrel stock, I don't think you'll be able to mount it correctly until you install the new barrel.

Add barrel, mounts, rings, and scope and you're only about $300 from a great target .22 rifle depending on if you buy smart and don't splurge on the barrel and optics.[wink]

I like the Mueller APV scopes for .22 rimfire.

thanks Milsurps...

slightly noob here: I ordered this stock that goes with a bull barrel. if that's any difference. hence, why I haven't installed it yet. LOL

my stock 10/22 has the tapered barrel, so i wasn't even going to try. OK, I admit, I would have tried if I got bored enough. [rofl]

thanks Milsurps...

slightly noob here: I ordered this stock that goes with a bull barrel. if that's any difference. hence, why I haven't installed it yet. LOL

my stock 10/22 has the tapered barrel, so i wasn't even going to try. OK, I admit, I would have tried if I got bored enough. [rofl]

If you haven't already tinkered with it, you're going to be amazed at how easy the 10/22 is to work on and swap parts. This book: http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Ruger-Manual-Users-Guide/dp/1581600747
Is a must because it gives you detailed info on bolt removal, etc. plus has opinions on accessories. Its available from a good number of places, even e bay.

finally done:

DSCN0356.jpg

Butler Creek Barrel

DSCN0359.jpg

DSCN0361.jpg

old stuff:

DSCN0358.jpg

bonus:

I'd just opened the box so I took a pic of everything...

Butler Creek "bull" Target Barrel

LoneWolf 40 - 9mm conversion barrel for the G23

DSCN0351.jpg

after

DSCN0357.jpg

Back
Top Bottom