• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Open gun for USPSA

Yeah, but how much is your diginity worth? Digging thru a trash can for super brass like you George Castanza with an eclair...oh they're fine, they were sitting on the top[smile]

dignity? Who said anything about dignity? The price of dignity isn't going up, but brass, powder, bullets and primers are.
I'll just steal those abandoned supers with red primers from now on, i'll be sure to get on the squad right behind you, so when you dont pick yours up, I can scrounge them
And by the way, I love eclairs. Greg's has the best.

In regards to the super v. supercomp, like they said, rimless vs semi-rimmed. But what's very nice about comp, you can stuff one more supercomp in a 170mm mag due to the lack of rim.

Last edited:
Note that 38TJ (Todd Jarrett) is also rimless. If there is a difference between 38TJ and 38 Supercomp other than nomenclature, it eludes me.

dignity? Who said anything about dignity? The price of dignity isn't going up, but brass, powder, bullets and primers are.
I'll just steal those abandoned supers with red primers from now on, i'll be sure to get on the squad right behind you, so when you dont pick yours up, I can scrounge them
And by the way, I love eclairs. Greg's has the best.

Thats OK, The brass I give back to you are ones I stole out of your range bag while you were shooting[smile]

Rumors have it you are going 9mm Major??

I highly doubt it. John cornered the 9x21 brass market!!! Besides, he is shooting Major 9MM. He just kept the 9MM that we had to use when we shot "squirt guns" (if you don't know what a squirt gun is, you haven't been playing the game long)

Last edited:
Thats OK, The brass I give back to you are ones I stole out of your range bag while you were shooting[smile]

I really don't think anyone is ever going to steal my brass, or my shotgun hulls.

oh, and let me throw Super 9 into the mix. I dont know who is using that, but I find it mixed in with my supers every now and then. Appears to be the same as supercomp, but brass is slightly thicker, like 9x23.

Last word about 38super, you've also got 38super+P, which some people probably think is better because it's got the +p on it. I dont use it, it's just more expensive, and anyone that knows how many times I'll reload my 38 supers can vouch for their not being a problem with the non +p brass when shot out of guns built for this game.
One specific brass I've had problems with, and would never, ever recommend is brass marked "AP" = armscorp.

I'll actually be at the match tomorrow believe it or not... However, I will have to leave around 1:30 so I might not be able to "finish" the match because I have to meet with a realtor.

Back-up house or did she kick you out? [rofl]

You should be able to shoot-through.

She kicked me out because she doesn't like my guns!!! HAHA

No we're thinking of buying another house and selling our house. I want to live closer to the range so I can actually shoot from time to time. With my new job the range isn't on my way home anymore and it makes getting there that much more difficult. The new house would be on the way home and only about 15 minutes from Harvard. See, I'm making an effort to shoot a lot more. One step back for 2 steps forward. haha

I highly doubt it. John cornered the 9x21 brass market!!! Besides, he is shooting Major 9MM. He just kept the 9MM that we had to use when we shot "squirt guns" (if you don't know what a squirt gun is, you haven't been playing the game long)

Dan is correct, been shooting major 9(x21), since 1991.
I have loaded my overall length as short as 9x19 or out to 1.325 (short super).
My cases are rimless, I get the extra round in my mags,
I don't need spacers for my mags.
new brass is about $4 more than super.

Frankly, I don't know why one would use anything else[mg]

Last edited:
Last word about 38super, you've also got 38super+P, which some people probably think is better because it's got the +p on it. I dont use it, it's just more expensive, and anyone that knows how many times I'll reload my 38 supers can vouch for their not being a problem with the non +p brass when shot out of guns built for this game.

From what I've heard, the "+P" stamp is a recent affectation. The load is the same as before; the "+P" is a warning to those who would shoot a modern load in some of the older guns, particularly Spanish guns chambered for 9 mm Largo.

He mentioned at these pressure levels and the requirement of the faster burning powder he feels the 9 major is a disadvantage to the super. That being said I took his advice and went with the super. I don't have any experience with 9 Major but the super has been great.

I advise getting a Bedell or a Brazos as these guns seem to be the most reliable out of the ones I've seen.

Pete- werent we just talking about this yesterday with Jeff & DQ before the match?

Thank you everyone for all of your input over the past few weekends. The decision has been made......now for the wait. That's ok, though, it will give me time to research all of the other goodies I'll need to go along with it. [smile]

I think he found some value in Mike's worthless list.

Then he changed his mind from his original, stated intention:

Ok everyone, I need some help trying to decide on a new open gun. My single stack .45 needs to be retired. I have been looking at an STI Trubor.

In short, he originally planned to buy an entire new Open gun. For reasons already discussed on this forum generally and this thread particularly, that is not possible.

The result would seem to be, as some of us were discussing Sunday at Manville, that Noidlight has decided to buy a frame (STI or Caspian, I'd guess) and send it out to be built into a gun.

I wish him all "A's" and no jams when he gets his new toy.

Ok - this is getting annoying - enough with specualting on what noidlight's "original" stated intention was.

Semantics and assumptions only drive a post off topic and is really unfair to the person who started the post - I really hate when this happens.

So to just to clarify and hopefully put this speculation to rest.

Rob - did you or did you not find Mike's list helpful? or was it worthless?

...and back onto the subject matter - what did you decide to build

...and back onto the subject matter - what did you decide to build

I know what he got.... but I'll let him break the news.

Rob is a good shooter, now he will have a gun that he will be competitive with

it will be great to have even more competition in Open

You know it also might be interesting in this thread to hear about Hamar's new project as another option in the field of Open guns. He looks to be seeking the components to build an EAA Witness based gun, like the P9s they used to shoot. Seeing as the world champ shoots a similar Tangfolio setup, that's not something to be ignored.

Another option I've seen since the creation of this thread that looks really interesting is the Glock route, specifically from http://www.glockjockey.com/. If you have a 3rd gen Glock 17, that's something to look at. You can see one run in the helmet cam footage here.

Yep....Building my own open gun based on the Tanfoglio/Eaa Witness and it will be 9mm Major. This will not be easy since alot of folks no longer make the parts for them so I will be making them myself. Its been a long time since I've shot with a dot but I'm looking forward to it!

Hamar... sounds like a neat project.

I would love to get the EAA witness Gold team. Love the look of that gun. to bad 170mm are near impossible to get

Back
Top Bottom