"New" Old guns

tuna

NES Member
The thread about H&R making a new Garand got me to thinking about if they were going to update it. If they went and made "improvements" to the Garand, like an adjustable stock, box magazine instead of clip fed, different caliber, etc - it just wouldn't be a Garand. It's be a clunky semi auto.

But what would be some good changes to old guns to be re-introduced? What would you like to see?

Here's mine:

Shotguns:
Inexpensive shooter grade side by sides
Bring back the Winchester Model 12, but put an A5's magazine disconnect on it

Rifles:
How about a Krag-Jorgensen in a modern caliber? I like the side magazine and the action is perfect.
Useful combo rifle - 12 or 20 gauge shotgun under a competent rifle caliber - pretty much anything besides .22/.410

Pistols:
Top break revolvers
Polymer versions of steel guns (BHP, 1911, K/L Frame revolvers, SAAs)

I don't really care about reality, this is a magic wand list.

I like your whole list, particularly the top break revolvers. A Webley in .357, perhaps?

For rifles, I wouldn't mind seeing a lot of WWI/WWII era bolt actions reproduced with more widely available calibers. Like a SMLE or K31, but in 7.62, 5.56, 6.5 Creedmoor maybe... I've seen a few conversions, but it'd be nice to get something factory done.

The thread about H&R making a new Garand got me to thinking about if they were going to update it. If they went and made "improvements" to the Garand, like an adjustable stock, box magazine instead of clip fed, different caliber, etc - it just wouldn't be a Garand. It's be a clunky semi auto.

But what would be some good changes to old guns to be re-introduced? What would you like to see?

Here's mine:

Shotguns:
Inexpensive shooter grade side by sides
Bring back the Winchester Model 12, but put an A5's magazine disconnect on it

Rifles:
How about a Krag-Jorgensen in a modern caliber? I like the side magazine and the action is perfect.
Useful combo rifle - 12 or 20 gauge shotgun under a competent rifle caliber - pretty much anything besides .22/.410

Pistols:
Top break revolvers
Polymer versions of steel guns (BHP, 1911, K/L Frame revolvers, SAAs)

I don't really care about reality, this is a magic wand list.
For top break revolver, check out Cimarron and Taylor's. They distribute Uberti and they make too break revolvers. Some of those are sexy.

For top break revolver, check out Cimarron and Taylor's. They distribute Uberti and they make too break revolvers. Some of those are sexy.

Yeah but aren't those all Schofield copies? I was thinking more about the little .32 and .38 top breaks that Iver Johnson and H&R used to make. Those would be nice for CC in .327 and .38 special.

Tuna, why a magazine disconnect on a pump shotgun?

I have one on my Sweet 16 A5, and I love it. I want one on all my magazine shotguns.

When you cross a stream or climb a fence, you flick a little lever and it holds the rounds in the magazine. Then work the action and the chambered round ejects but that's it. On my A5, the bolt locks back, you could just leave it open on a pump. When you're on safe ground, pop the round in the chamber, close the bolt and release the disconnect.

Saves a lot of fumbling in the field, especially on muddy / uneven ground with cold hands.

I have one on my Sweet 16 A5, and I love it. I want one on all my magazine shotguns.

When you cross a stream or climb a fence, you flick a little lever and it holds the rounds in the magazine. Then work the action and the chambered round ejects but that's it. On my A5, the bolt locks back, you could just leave it open on a pump. When you're on safe ground, pop the round in the chamber, close the bolt and release the disconnect.

Saves a lot of fumbling in the field, especially on muddy / uneven ground with cold hands.
Ah, ok... I didn't have that type of scenario in my wee brain. Love my A5s... Sweet 16, Light 12 and not so light 12.

My Benelli Nova has one, and that's just how I use it.

I'm not familiar enough with them to know whether they're actually quality or not, but I do like how GSG made .22 versions of the MP40, STG44, etc.

Following a similar idea, I would like a new version of a Welrod. Already 9mm, so not a problem. Make it a faux suppressor/silencer so it doesn't require a tax stamp.

I get there wouldn't be much demand for it, but it'd be a fun conversation piece. If you're doing a WWII shoot at a range, it'd fit right in with Stens.

I'm not familiar enough with them to know whether they're actually quality or not, but I do like how GSG made .22 versions of the MP40, STG44, etc.

Following a similar idea, I would like a new version of a Welrod. Already 9mm, so not a problem. Make it a faux suppressor/silencer so it doesn't require a tax stamp.

I get there wouldn't be much demand for it, but it'd be a fun conversation piece. If you're doing a WWII shoot at a range, it'd fit right in with Stens.

STATION SIX - 9 - B&T USA

The only reason to buy one is to use it as a silenced pistol.

STATION SIX - 9 - B&T USA

The only reason to buy one is to use it as a silenced pistol.
And that's what I get for not googling first. Fair enough.

I agree that the silenced version will be far better. Just think a faux version would allow a wider range of folks who were interested, to get their hands on one. A lot like the semi-auto Thompsons. I would have much rather had the full-auto...but the semi was still plenty entertaining.

On that note, a semi Lewis gun would be nice to have, too.

Webley/Fosberry semi auto revolver in 45 auto/45 auto rim. And there is a company that makes a Gatling gun that's only 60 lbs it's a 5 barrel and can be had for the discount price of $ 50K.

And that's what I get for not googling first. Fair enough.

I agree that the silenced version will be far better. Just think a faux version would allow a wider range of folks who were interested, to get their hands on one. A lot like the semi-auto Thompsons. I would have much rather had the full-auto...but the semi was still plenty entertaining.

Not quite the same - a semi-auto Thompson still has the fun factor of being an overweight .45ACP semi-auto PCC that people can blow through a box of ammo at the range.

A Welrod is a bolt action pistol. You'll shoot, what, five rounds before getting bored if it doesn't have a can? Whereas the suppressed version actually has some use, say shooting that pesky raccoon in the yard, or OSS/SOE cosplay.

Hell, the Station Six seems pretty fun to take camping in the big woods.

Not quite the same - a semi-auto Thompson still has the fun factor of being an overweight .45ACP semi-auto PCC that people can blow through a box of ammo at the range...

OMG, I checked out one of those recently at my LGS and the thing was crazy heavy! I'm guessing with that mass, you barely feel any recoil from shooting the .45s.

Frank

Back
Top Bottom