• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Office of Gun Safety Enforcement

She has a super hard on for the white supremacy/insurgency angle the FBI has been warning everyone about. Pols like her are more afraid of armed civilians rising up than armed criminals because the armed criminals are only terrorizing the populace and not likely coming for statist politicians like her.
I think this is 100% spot on.

Wow.

• Address gun hoarding in Massachusetts:
    1. Facilitate sharing of information about gun hoarding with local authorities with jurisdiction and power to see how and where such guns are stored.
    2. Investigate gun dealers who appear to be selling guns indiscriminately.
    3. Work with the Massachusetts Legislature on measures designed to limit gun and ammunition hoarding, including limits on annual and lifetime gun purchases.
This is why they made that database public boys.

1. Bolster gun safety training requirements:
    • Work with state police on an enhanced gun safety curriculum for new gun owners, focusing on safe handling, safe storage, and the risks of unsecured guns.
    • Advocate to the Massachusetts Legislature to require regular range certification, safety, training and a written safety test as a prerequisite for obtaining a gun license.
    • Prosecute gun owners whose reckless conduct leads to unintended gun violence through theft and unauthorized use.
    • Hold gun sellers accountable if they sell a gun without safety features, particularly when such guns are sold to new and untrained gun owners.

Cops can't f-ing get regular training, I hope the state intends to pay for this "regular training"

She has a super hard on for the white supremacy/insurgency angle the FBI has been warning everyone about. Pols like her are more afraid of armed civilians rising up than armed criminals because the armed criminals are only terrorizing the populace and not likely coming for statist politicians like her.
It's a national thing as well. Every other word out of their mouths is White Supremacy. They are using it as their bully pulpit to silence those who are in their way and to intimidate anyone who crosses them.

Below is her election website. These are the things she said she would prioritize and she’s doing that. Everyone keeps saying that the new governor is going to be too busy with other things to go after guns when it was literally one of the planks in HER election platform, too.

Cue the doubters who say that this is “pantsh*tting” and SCOTUS will save everyone.

I'm not about to minimize Campbell. I understand what she'd LIKE to do.

But.

Politicians would LIKE to do a whole bunch of things that they don't end up doing. I am with those who doubt Campbell's intellect and guile, compared to Maura (who is, unfortunately, both intelligent and clever). Healy thought outside the box, hence her edict. Which worked as well as it possibly could have.

Campbell is not on that level. She is a hammer, not a scalpel. In the post-Bruen judicial environment, I'm not sure she has the flexibility to out-think Bruen. If her angle is "going after hoarders," she'll need to carefully craft policies that will survive scrutiny. Maybe she can do that, maybe not.

Time will tell.

But.

Politicians would LIKE to do a whole bunch of things that they don't end up doing. I am with those who doubt Campbell's intellect and guile, compared to Maura (who is, unfortunately, both intelligent and clever). Healy thought outside the box, hence her edict. Which worked as well as it possibly could have.

Campbell is not on that level. She is a hammer, not a scalpel. In the post-Bruen judicial environment, I'm not sure she has the flexibility to out-think Bruen. If her angle is "going after hoarders," she'll need to carefully craft policies that will survive scrutiny. Maybe she can do that, maybe not.

Time will tell.
Good assessment

She has a super hard strap-on for the white supremacy/insurgency angle the FBI has been warning everyone about. Pols like her are more afraid of armed civilians rising up than armed criminals because the armed criminals are only terrorizing the populace and not likely coming for statist politicians like her.
FIFY

I’m still reading it but ..

• Address disparities in legal gun ownership that all too often criminalize individuals in communities of color and create a program to expunge the records of those who demonstrate responsible behavior after a charge of illegal possession.

So you be able to posses a gun legal in ma after being arrest for a gun crime as long as your not white
There is plenty in her statements that needs to be challenged, but I don't like this example.
First, a law will not say it's not for white people, it'll be applied to everyone, her reasons won't be in the law.
Second, this is just for a charge of possession, doesn't say anything about conviction. And such a charge, followed by a CWOF and/or dismissal is currently a guaranteed suitability denial. And like any other non-conviction, it should not be. This is a step in the right direction to making suitability a thing of the past. The idea that a person gets jammed up and charged, with a non-violent offence, is considered not guilty, even 10 years of clean living later, is still prohibited from getting an LTC is ridiculous.

We need to pick our battles, let her feel like she is doing something with this one while stopping the BS.

But.

Time will tell.
well-said! I hope that you are right, and will donate more to the local advocate groups to keep our checks and balances strong.

I'm sure fire chiefs will appreciate getting demands about their permit records when half of them don't even know about that permit.
It's safe to say more than half.

The department I was on, which would of been a mid sized with a slight lean towards large(ish) had zero idea they even existed.

Below is her election website. These are the things she said she would prioritize and she’s doing that. Everyone keeps saying that the new governor is going to be too busy with other things to go after guns when it was literally one of the planks in HER election platform, too.

Cue the doubters who say that this is “pantsh*tting” and SCOTUS will save everyone.

She wants to put annual and lifetime limits on firearms. What happens if you're already over the lifetime limit?

But.

Time will tell.
Healy's edict was legally BS, and she knew that, but she thought it was good politics. When it resulted in a sustained and vocal backlash from gun owners, she more or less left us alone for the rest of her time in office. The political juice wasn't worth the squeeze and she was smart enough to know that.

Healy strikes me as a traditional pol that wants to be broadly liked. She wants to be Charlie Baker. She may be smart enough to not bash her head against the wall in attacking gun owners with laws that will just get struck down in court.

There is a lot less risk to us in someone like that than in an ideologue like Campbell who is both dumber and more ideologically driven. I suspect she will be willing to bash her head against the wall continuously even if it grinds down her approval rating. People like that don't care about being broadly liked, they are fine with winning elections with 50.00001%. That scares me, but at least she's not in the governor's office. Unlike the governor, the AG has little actual power on guns.

Healy's edict was legally BS, and she knew that, but she thought it was good politics. When it resulted in a sustained and vocal backlash from gun owners, she more or less left us alone for the rest of her time in office. The political juice wasn't worth the squeeze and she was smart enough to know that.

Healy strikes me as a traditional pol that wants to be broadly liked. She wants to be Charlie Baker. She may be smart enough to not bash her head against the wall in attacking gun owners with laws that will just get struck down in court.

There is a lot less risk to us in someone like that than in an ideologue like Campbell who is both dumber and more ideologically driven. I suspect she will be willing to bash her head against the wall continuously even if it grinds down her approval rating. People like that don't care about being broadly liked, they are fine with winning elections with 50.00001%. That scares me, but at least she's not in the governor's office. Unlike the governor, the AG has little actual power on guns.

The other thing I'm curious about involves the relationship between their two offices. We know Baker was too much of a bitch to rein in Maura; he couldn't go as far as we would have wanted him to, but he chose not to go as far as he could have. I think he didn't want the fight.

I want to believe Maura will be more forceful with Campbell, in terms of letting her know that the Governor's office does not want the state to get dragged into court for losing battles.

It's safe to say more than half.

The department I was on, which would of been a mid sized with a slight lean towards large(ish) had zero idea they even existed.
It is funny that you should mention that.
Years ago, when this "permit issue" came up, we were living in N. Chelmsford. I went and spoke with the Fire Department, they didn't have a clue about this reg, or what the storage area specifications were. They told me to build it and they would inspect it. As you can assume, I never built it and never got the permit.

Today new AG announced as one of her top priorities the creation of this 'Office of Gun Safety enforcement'. This is a followup to her previous statement last week that she wants to stop 'hoarding' of guns and ammo. Of course she did not say anything about stopping criminals from using illegal guns. This new office is just to target law-abiding gun owners. I wish for the good old days of AG Healey.
What do gun laws have to do with crime? To those in public office and the ignorant people that vote for them, we're the criminals. In this state, the spotlight has always been on legal gun owners and not on criminals. There is no crime in licensed gun owners buying as many guns as they want, or stockpiling ammo, that is until Massachusetts makes it a crime.

blows dust off resume

anyone have a stamp?
I got you...

Would be interesting if I could transition from my current state job to this "Office of Gun Safety". Assuming the pay is the same and I don't have to commute to Boston [laugh]

But I'm sure they already have moonbats lined up for the positions

As other have said stating what’s she wants to do and actually getting funding to do what she wants to do are two entirely different things.

She’s going to have a lot of current issues to deal with first before she gets anywhere near this.

I'm sure fire chiefs will appreciate getting demands about their permit records when half of them don't even know about that permit.
But once people make them aware, I am sure they follow a procedure. For example, are they required to file the permit with the State?

While fire departments are not aware it exists, people that want to feel "safe" do their best to educate them, now they are screwed.

Look at it as an LTC change of address. A brand new gun owner probably has no clue how it works or bothers to read about it. 3 years later that person moves, reads about it, learns he/she has to send notifications so he/she sends the 3 notifications as required.

• Address disparities in legal gun ownership that all too often criminalize individuals in communities of color and create a program to expunge the records of those who demonstrate responsible behavior after a charge of illegal possession.

After they serve their mandatory one year in jail under Bartley-Fox. (/s just in case anyone’s sarcasm meter is out of service)

It can be as well funded as the MSP interstate gun trafficking unit authorized by the 2014 revision to MA's gun laws.... which is to say $0.00

What's there to understand? It isn't about crime, it's about targeting political adversaries.
Campbell isn’t Machiavelli. Or to put it another way,

What's there to understand? It isn't about crime, it's about pandering to your base

Today new AG announced as one of her top priorities the creation of this 'Office of Gun Safety enforcement'. This is a followup to her previous statement last week that she wants to stop 'hoarding' of guns and ammo. Of course she did not say anything about stopping criminals from using illegal guns. This new office is just to target lawbidding gun owners. I wish for the good old days of AG Healey.
She should wake up and see the real
World

Load your own. I realize that’s not practical for everyone but it’s worth considering
If Beacon Hill goes after mail order ammo they will go after home loading/reloading as well. Power hungry commies could care less about the interstate commerce clause and home loading/reloading/gunsmithing being part of the 2A since the founding of the country.

As other have said stating what’s she wants to do and actually getting funding to do what she wants to do are two entirely different things.

She’s going to have a lot of current issues to deal with first before she gets anywhere near this.
It would be helpful if post Bruen, MA incurred some significant legal costs so that the legislature decided posturing without actually doing something was a less costly exercise.

If Beacon Hill goes after mail order ammo they will go after home loading/reloading as well. Power hungry commies could care less about the interstate commerce clause and home loading/reloading/gunsmithing being part of the 2A since the founding of the country

Reloading components are already codified in Mass law as ammunition. There is no difference at this time.

Back
Top Bottom