• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"NEW" NRA basic pistol course: ILTC Instructor Lead Course!

Attn: NRA Instructors:

As you may know, the blended program they tried to replace the packet course with has failed. They will still make it available to anyone who wants to use it but they are going to or have introduced an ILT: Instructor Let Training program, just like the old course. Don't know when the packets will be out but soon, I hope. Here's a copy of an alert some other instructor received. Don't know why I didn't get one. they certainly know where to ask for donations when then need to find me.

Rome

Dear NRA Certified Training Counselor:

The NRA strives to create the courses you want to teach and your students want to take. To that end, we have continued to fine tune the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Program to give both our instructors and students the ability to choose the delivery method that best suits their needs. There will be enhancements to the existing Blended learning edition of the course, as well as the introduction of NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting, Instructor Led Training (ILT) which is conducted entirely under the direct supervision of an NRA Certified Pistol Instructor. These changes will give Instructors the ability to administer the training from beginning to end, whether they choose to conduct the Blended or ILT version of the Basics of Pistol Shooting course.

Here is what’s happening to the Blended version of the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Course. Instructors may now purchase Course Control Codes (CCC), which they will issue to their students so they can access and complete the self-study portion of the Blended course. The instructor will promote it as the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Course (Blended), and will confirm the student is aware of the course format. It is critical that the self-study portion be completed before they attempt the hands-on portion of Blended. The student will need to create a unique username and password to register for the course, then, once the instructor receives compensation to their satisfaction, will issue the student a CCC. To make delivery of the CCCs more convenient, the NRA has created an email template that automatically updates with the student’s information, the CCC, and a summary of the instructions for completing the course. The Instructor Led portion of Blended will be conducted in the manner set forth in the lesson plans that are available on the NRAInstuctors.org homepage. The reporting requirements and method of printing Course Certificates will be identical for Blended and Instructor Led courses.

Next, we will explore the new NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting, Instructor Led Training (ILT). The defining feature of this course is the obvious return to the traditional Instructor/student relationship. Something that isn’t so obvious is the flexibility to teach the full lesson plan or a condensed version which covers only one pistol action type (semi-auto or revolver). The lesson plans for ILT can be found in the Lesson Plans/PowerPoints section on the NRAInstructors.org homepage. To maintain consistency across all NRA lesson plans, a Performance Requirements Checklist is included. We strongly recommend that instructors use this form to document what they have taught their students, as well as record the student’s acknowledgement that they feel comfortable with each objective. If an instructor conducts the condensed lesson plan covering a single pistol type, the instructor must document this clearly on these forms and keep them for their records. Please note that if an instructor conducts the ILT version of the course, they are required to provide each of their students with a Basics of Pistol Shooting student packet. Packets are available at the NRA Program Materials Center and consist of the NRA Guide: Basics of Pistol Shooting Handbook, and a course exam. Also note that if the instructor conducts a single pistol action type course, they will need to indicate this on the course registration page in order to print the appropriate certificate which will state Revolver or Semi-Automatic as appropriate.

Once the instructor completes either the Blended or the ILT version of the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Course, they will submit the electronic course report. This report will include their student’s written exam score, the shooting skill level they achieved, and the instructor’s acknowledgement that every student met all of the learning objectives as set forth by the National Rifle Association. Once each of these elements is complete, the instructor will be able to submit and print their report and the student’s certificates. The certificates will be watermarked and prepopulated with the NRA Instructor ID number, the instructor’s printed name below a signature line, date, serial number, student name, marksmanship skill level, pistol action type (if appropriate), as well as the signature of the NRA Secretary.

Finally, we would ask that you take a moment to read the statement below and acknowledge your awareness of these changes.

As an NRA Certified Training Counselor, I acknowledge that I am often the first contact individuals will have with the NRA. I understand that this initial experience can determine their future with the NRA; therefore I will work to ensure that their first impression is a positive one. Furthermore, I understand that the course I conduct is not only vital to the development of foundational shooting skills but also to the safety of the general public. The example set by me will be followed by those I train.

I will support the goals of the NRA Training Program by providing quality firearm training to law-abiding individuals. I will maintain the NRA’s national standard for firearm training, and further the purposes and objectives of the NRA.

As an NRA Certified Training Counselor, I stand by my commitment to serve the NRA, NRA members and the shooting community as a whole. I pledge to:
Uphold the training standards of the NRA.
Keep current on NRA training program policies.
Schedule, organize, promote and conduct NRA Instructor Courses.
Provide an environment conducive to learning.
Project a positive image in dress, demeanor, and speech.
Identify students having difficulty learning or performing tasks, and develop methods to aid them in accomplishing course objectives and standards.
Provide positive feedback.
Report training after each course.
Mentor the instructors that I have certified

Can you post the link please? I'd like to send this out to some friends.

I think this may have been sent to NRA TCs but it is NOT up on the NRA Instructors website as of late last night, I looked. I think it is a premature release of info that was not supposed to be released yet.

Also, from the blended fiasco, I learned NOT to trust NRA until ALL DETAILS are released . . . as what they told us in advance of the blended roll-out turned out to be a lie when it went live (it was supposed to be a nominal fee of $10-20 to NRA, instead it was $60, not nominal at all)!

I'm now teaching NRA Home Firearm Safety with live fire as the BFS course. Currently on demand but hopefully on a schedule starting in May.

I won't teach NRA BP unless someone needs it for a NR license elsewhere, but will take a wait and see attitude on any changes that NRA actually implements.

Wish I had the link. My big criticism is that the NRA has yet to contact me, an instructor of 10+ years, with anything new including the reintroduction of the kit and the demotion of the blended teaching. I had to ferret all that info out myself. They could easily just keep us posted but the push of a button and a mass mailing.

NRA sent info to TCs with instructions for TCs to contact instructors. I have two TCs who keep me in the loop. That's the way NRA chooses to do business.

NRA sent info to TCs with instructions for TCs to contact instructors. I have two TCs who keep me in the loop. That's the way NRA chooses to do business.

I was contacted by my TC a couple of weeks ago to break the news. Unfortunately it sounded like they are still working through some things and didn't provide anything of substance for content or timeline.

Like any large entity they don't move fast but at least they have heard the complaints a are working on change.

In the interim I moved away from teaching the NRA course to the USCCA. Much better suited for educating people who want a firearm for personal protection. They also give the instructors the required support & discretion.

I'm sure I'm not alone in finding this so will be interested in seeing what the NRA comes up with and who will move back....not that they will really care.

I was contacted by my TC a couple of weeks ago to break the news. Unfortunately it sounded like they are still working through some things and didn't provide anything of substance for content or timeline.

Like any large entity they don't move fast but at least they have heard the complaints a are working on change.

In the interim I moved away from teaching the NRA course to the USCCA. Much better suited for educating people who want a firearm for personal protection. They also give the instructors the required support & discretion.

I'm sure I'm not alone in finding this so will be interested in seeing what the NRA comes up with and who will move back....not that they will really care.

Trust me, NRA CARES . . . about the MONEY!!

So many stopped teaching BP when they went to blended, they have to do something.

I just don't trust them to do the right thing!! Time will tell.

I'm in no hurry to go back to BP even instructor led.

Anyone have an idea if this will still be an issue with the State approved class list?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Nobody knows until it rolls out and everyone can see what differences might be between the old BP and the revised BP.

I just received the NRA Email to all Instructors. Haven't read it yet, but I'm sure it tells me very little wrt specifics other than there is an instructor led option.

Yeah that's what I got as well. Just figured I'd ask if there was somemore more informed than I. Usually is...

Yeah that's what I got as well. Just figured I'd ask if there was somemore more informed than I. Usually is...

It would all be a guessing game now. Lt. Zani makes that call, but until he sees the curriculum, I doubt that he'd be able to answer your question.

In the meantime, I'm teaching NRA HFS with enhancements. Class scheduled on 3/31 in the training forum. I won't be listing BP anywhere unless specifically requested even with their changes.

I just read the Email to instructors, it really says nothing specific.

Blended Pistol:
- Instructors will purchase material and the "chit" from NRA for each student. Fee to be determined.
- All fees will be paid to the instructor.
- Lesson plans for the online training may or may not change.
- Lesson plans for the instructor led portion may or may not change.

Totally Instructor led Pistol:
- We can teach only revolver, only semi-auto, or both. Certificates to be marked as such.
- Lesson plans to be determined.
- Cost of NRA materials that instructor provide to student to be determined.

Specific details to be released to instructors in a few weeks.

That is the same content of the email my TC sent a few weeks ago. A whole lot of nothing specific with no clear timeline to do it in.......

Sure does make one proud to represent their philosophy doesn't it?

I've heard nothing. I don't even believe I have a TC anymore. Mine retired a couple years ago.

At least Len finally got the email that says "something may or may not change, please stand by".

I don't know what was wrong with the original way it was taught. I dislike the online do it yourself method. I don't know who does what on there. There was no way of knowing.
I still have two Basic Pistol Packages I wont part with.

I got an email from the NRA stating the changes will take place on April 4, 2017 and to check the NRA Instructors site on that date for the updated class materials. They must be sending this info out to all NRA Instructors.

Anyone have an idea if this will still be an issue with the State approved class list?

What do you mean by "still be an issue"? I never heard of any issues the state had with people teaching LTC-002

The state is still good with the Home Firearms Safety class, but when the NRA switched to the blended learning it invalidated the old program. That's what I was referring to.

The state is still good with the Home Firearms Safety class, but when the NRA switched to the blended learning it invalidated the old program. That's what I was referring to.

I understand what you're saying but it never was officially invalidated. NRA never changed anything with MSP. LTC-002 was still taught and accepted by MSP. Whether it was the blended learning or basic pistol it was still LTC-002, same course/same material

I understand what you're saying but it never was officially invalidated. NRA never changed anything with MSP. LTC-002 was still taught and accepted by MSP. Whether it was the blended learning or basic pistol it was still LTC-002, same course/same material

They seemed to accept it, BUT no it was not the same course and not the same material. Blended was MUCH deeper into material . . . not a bad thing but IMNSHO too much "overload" for a new shooter to digest.

So I doubt that there was anything in the blended BP for MSP to object to in that curriculum.

They seemed to accept it, BUT no it was not the same course and not the same material. Blended was MUCH deeper into material . . . not a bad thing but IMNSHO too much "overload" for a new shooter to digest.

So I doubt that there was anything in the blended BP for MSP to object to in that curriculum.
They did accept it and the NRA told me directly that blended was the exact same course as basic pistol and they would be changing nothing with MSP. Sounds like it's a non-issue now anyhow but I still want to be sure that LTC-002 was not "invalidated". I never heard that it was or was going to be from the NRA or MSP.

This is good news as long as they don't go full retard with new fees. When I got my permit the NRA pistol course was the only one CT would accept so there was no option. I think that is still the case. When they switched to the blended course and charged an extra $60 fee none of the live fire courses, also required by CT, reduced their rates for only doing live fire.

So that made it a $60 price hike to get your permit in CT, which was already between $300 and $350 depending on the town. My wife might want to get her permit so I am hoping instructors in CT will keep their fees the same and just go back to teaching the class and live fire in one day just like before. I am sure some will jack their rates though claiming that they have to do more when in reality it sounds like they'd just be going back to what they were doing before.

This is good news as long as they don't go full retard with new fees. When I got my permit the NRA pistol course was the only one CT would accept so there was no option. I think that is still the case. When they switched to the blended course and charged an extra $60 fee none of the live fire courses, also required by CT, reduced their rates for only doing live fire.

So that made it a $60 price hike to get your permit in CT, which was already between $300 and $350 depending on the town. My wife might want to get her permit so I am hoping instructors in CT will keep their fees the same and just go back to teaching the class and live fire in one day just like before. I am sure some will jack their rates though claiming that they have to do more when in reality it sounds like they'd just be going back to what they were doing before.
Well the first subject in the email about what was changing is about instructors "purchasing" something from the NRA. We certainly know where their priorities are.

They did accept it and the NRA told me directly that blended was the exact same course as basic pistol and they would be changing nothing with MSP. Sounds like it's a non-issue now anyhow but I still want to be sure that LTC-002 was not "invalidated". I never heard that it was or was going to be from the NRA or MSP.

It is NOT the exact same course. NRA added lots of things to the old BP to stretch it out to ~14 hr course all totaled up (from 8 hrs originally). Blended is a lot more comprehensive than the old BP (not something MSP would or should object to).

LTC-002 will never be invalidated. Some people sit on certs for years before applying, so if the course was GTG when you took it, it'll be GTG forever (unless MSP changes the CMR to have an expiration on certs). Example: LTC-003 is NRA Personal Protection . . . according to my TC, this course existed as a single course prior to being split out to PPIH and PPOH (neither of which are on the list of acceptable courses) back ~2009ish. [Yes, I know that certain towns won't accept a cert > some arbitrary amount of time (6 months to 2 years being reported regularly). I'm addressing the law, not what chiefs do on their own.]

Why should we drop our fees? If the blended BP was taught properly, I needed to spend ~5 hours in a classroom with the student before the qualification shooting (live fire for score). I still had to rent a classroom, spend >1/2 a day in it with students, plus rent the range. The cost to the instructor may have gone down only due to not paying for the student kit (don't recall the cost, let's say $13 in quantity). Now I'm sure (see my comment below) that NRA will charge the instructor $25-40 for the student kit and chit and we still have to rent a classroom and range and spend a full day with the students. All the liability is and always has been on the instructor if anyone were to sue and insurance isn't cheap either, plus maintenance of guns and supplying ammo in MA (and perhaps elsewhere as well).

Well the first subject in the email about what was changing is about instructors "purchasing" something from the NRA. We certainly know where their priorities are.

Yup, this will make us absorb the cost of materials as part of the cost of doing business. I have no doubt that they will jack up that cost to us to be at least double what we used to pay under the old system. I'm not going to be surprised if the cost of the student packet and chit are billed to us at $40.00 plus S/H (~$10.00) and sales tax!

Yeah but they had to buy class materials before all of this blended BS so that isn't changing but I won't be surprised to see the NRA and the course instructors jack fees anyway. Seems like change = more fees no matter what. We shall see.

It is NOT the exact same course. NRA added lots of things to the old BP to stretch it out to ~14 hr course all totaled up (from 8 hrs originally). Blended is a lot more comprehensive than the old BP (not something MSP would or should object to).

LTC-002 will never be invalidated. Some people sit on certs for years before applying, so if the course was GTG when you took it, it'll be GTG forever (unless MSP changes the CMR to have an expiration on certs). Example: LTC-003 is NRA Personal Protection . . . according to my TC, this course existed as a single course prior to being split out to PPIH and PPOH (neither of which are on the list of acceptable courses) back ~2009ish. [Yes, I know that certain towns won't accept a cert > some arbitrary amount of time (6 months to 2 years being reported regularly). I'm addressing the law, not what chiefs do on their own.]

Why should we drop our fees? If the blended BP was taught properly, I needed to spend ~5 hours in a classroom with the student before the qualification shooting (live fire for score). I still had to rent a classroom, spend >1/2 a day in it with students, plus rent the range. The cost to the instructor may have gone down only due to not paying for the student kit (don't recall the cost, let's say $13 in quantity). Now I'm sure (see my comment below) that NRA will charge the instructor $25-40 for the student kit and chit and we still have to rent a classroom and range and spend a full day with the students. All the liability is and always has been on the instructor if anyone were to sue and insurance isn't cheap either, plus maintenance of guns and supplying ammo in MA (and perhaps elsewhere as well).

Yup, this will make us absorb the cost of materials as part of the cost of doing business. I have no doubt that they will jack up that cost to us to be at least double what we used to pay under the old system. I'm not going to be surprised if the cost of the student packet and chit are billed to us at $40.00 plus S/H (~$10.00) and sales tax!

The guys I knew didn't rent classrooms, they had their own space. From what they told me they went from teaching an all day course then live fire to just doing live fire after checking the students' certificate for completing the online course.

So the instructors didn't have to even step foot in a classroom, didn't have to buy course materials and spent a fraction of the time they did before. Now if that's not accurate then I see your point. If it is accurate I think you can see why it seems appropriate to drop rates when much less is being required of instructors in terms of time and expense.

Yeah but they had to buy class materials before all of this blended BS so that isn't changing but I won't be surprised to see the NRA and the course instructors jack fees anyway. Seems like change = more fees no matter what. We shall see.

NRA just increased the cost of HFS kits to instructors by 50% and PPIH kits increased by 100%, increases that we absorb.

NRA's goal in changing back to BP where we buy the kits will hit all the instructors in the shorts. And students expect no increase in cost to them and even decreases in cost!

Only a handful of instructors hold large classes (10-20 students) to make "real money". Most of us are teaching no more than 4 students at a time, so increasing our costs really impacts us. I'm teaching HFS next week to one student, so spending 6-7 hrs (I spend a lot more time than NRA requires and it will include live fire with 7 guns) teaching isn't a money maker (less than minimum wage after you factor in ammo costs). If I had 5-10 students my marginal cost is the kits and rent (I'm charged per student) and I would still make a decent day's pay.

The guys I knew didn't rent classrooms, they had their own space. From what they told me they went from teaching an all day course then live fire to just doing live fire after checking the students' certificate for completing the online course.

So the instructors didn't have to even step foot in a classroom, didn't have to buy course materials and spent a fraction of the time they did before. Now if that's not accurate then I see your point. If it is accurate I think you can see why it seems appropriate to drop rates when much less is being required of instructors in terms of time and expense.

If they have their "own space" (assuming it is commercial, not their living room), they are already paying for rental of said space. No instructor that I know (that isn't teaching "for the club" where all monies go to the club, gun and ammo expenses are on the instructor) has free classroom space (even MFS pays per sq. ft. to rent their building).

If they taught the blended by merely reviewing the cert and then shooting, they were NOT following the NRA curriculum that was given to NRA BP instructors. The fact that a lot of instructors cut corners is what led to the blended program in the first place!

Here are the list of lessons (and times provided by NRA) from Blended BP Phase II, directly from the NRA Instructor's Manual:

- Firearm & Range Safety - 1 hour
- Fundamentals - 1 hour
- Loading, Cocking, De-Cocking, Unloading and Pistol Maintenance - 1 hour
- Shooting Positions and Shooting Qualification - 2 hours (this is classroom and live fire)

For Mass - add 1 hour classroom on Mass gun laws.

Back
Top Bottom