• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"NEW" NRA basic pistol course: ILTC Instructor Lead Course!

Well, I don't mean to tick off instructors, especially since I'm not one. I am wrong about no classroom time but it was still much less than before.

From the consumer's point of view all we saw was the NRA create an online program that was required for an additional $60 and many instructors cut their class time significantly, then the same short live fire test with one revolver and one semi-auto.

So to the consumer it was a $60 increase for us and a lot less time/effort on the part of the instructors. So would you feel ripped off a little if you had to pay more money for the same thing while the instructors got the same money for doing less? I think you would and I know people who definitely felt that way.

Now, if they weren't doing it right and the classroom time should have been about the same then that's another issue and in that case I certainly see your points.

Many instructors are doing it for the money. The main guy I knew, who is no longer around, was operating out of commercial space owned by his family's business. Technically you could argue that they had to pay a mortgage on that space but he just cleared out some room in the storage area and put out a couple of tables and some chairs. It's not like that space had to be set aside for the class. Now that he is not around that space is doing the same as usual, storing crap. The live fire was outside behind the building, no real extra "space" there.

He did not hold classes unless he had at least 6 people but he usually had 8-12, sometimes as many as 15. He got his wife to assist if he had larger classes. She was an instructor too and as his wife he probably didn't have to pay her like you would for hired help.

So yeah, he had a lot of advantages to make it more profitable than some other instructors. He told me the materials (before the blended learning crap) cost him like $13 or something like that plus a few rounds of .22 ammo for each student.

He charged $95 for the class, which was about the same as others in our area. So he was making about $75 per student. Ten students on average per class so he made $750 per class pure profit two Sundays a month (on average) from 10:00 to 5:00.

That's just over $107 per hour. Not too shabby and that's why to the customer it seemed like we were the ones who would have to take it on the chin if we wanted to take the course (or pay for a spouse to take it) for an extra $60 over the $300-$350 it already cost in total to get a permit in CT.

Did I think instructors like him should eat the whole $60? No but when he was making $107 an hour I think he could have met folks half way and split it when he was doing a little less work.

It looks like with the new process the NRA will control the printing of certificates, requiring that it be done online rather than including them in the training packet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carl, I see your points as well. My students for HFS will shoot 50 rds of a mix of .22LR, 9mm, .223 and 7.62x39, so the cost of ammo adds up. And I don't short-cut the classroom time, ask anyone who has taken my MA Gun Law Seminar . . . some folks had lots of questions such that it was 8 hrs before we stopped, most classes run 6-6.5 hrs but I don't stop until all the questions are asked and answered to the best of my ability.

Lots of instructors cut corners to make more money and short-change the students. Lots of students only look for the cheapest class . . . and sometimes you get what you paid for.

Carl, I see your points as well. My students for HFS will shoot 50 rds of a mix of .22LR, 9mm, .223 and 7.62x39, so the cost of ammo adds up. And I don't short-cut the classroom time, ask anyone who has taken my MA Gun Law Seminar . . . some folks had lots of questions such that it was 8 hrs before we stopped, most classes run 6-6.5 hrs but I don't stop until all the questions are asked and answered to the best of my ability.

Lots of instructors cut corners to make more money and short-change the students. Lots of students only look for the cheapest class . . . and sometimes you get what you paid for.

Yeah, I just wanted the minimum I needed to get my permit. I get training elsewhere. Your class certainly sounds to provide far more than the bare bones class. I am actually considering taking one of your other pistol courses someday as I do need more training and your reputation is impeccable. I appreciate instructors like you and I expect to pay more for your services, that is only fair.

Yeah, I just wanted the minimum I needed to get my permit. I get training elsewhere. Your class certainly sounds to provide far more than the bare bones class. I am actually considering taking one of your other pistol courses someday as I do need more training and your reputation is impeccable. I appreciate instructors like you and I expect to pay more for your services, that is only fair.

Thanks. And for non-MA students who don't have a MA NR LTC, I gladly supply the gun/holster (if I own one for it) and mags to use in the class at no additional charge. So you can do this legally due to our dumbass laws.
http://2atraining.weebly.com lists all the courses/dates (only some are listed on NES).

So, I've been waiting for this course to "Open," because I want to get back into teaching it, and the blended version just didn't work for the way we teach it at our club. With great anticipation, I log on yesterday to see what the new course outline would look like, and what materials they had available.

After forcing me to acknowledge a page of crap about both courses, and promising again to be Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, etc., I download the Lesson Plan/PowerPoint only to find out it's "Meet the New Boss, Same as the Old Boss." The PowerPoint is the same truly awful one they had for the previous NRA Basic Pistol course. They added minimal content to maybe one or two slides, and that's it. The rest is unchanged, including the Admin notes on Slide 1 as to the policy on pagers.

For better or worse, my job requires a lot of PowerPoint use, and I cannot for the life of me fathom how a major training organization like the NRA gets away with the shittiest PowerPoint slides I've ever seen. I'd get laughed out of the Company if I tried to pass off a brief this bad. It's like they had 20 different guys do 3 slides each with no guidance as to format, font size, standardization, or anything. Jesus, did the Training Department ever hear of a Slide Master? I'm not a PP Nazi, but a professional briefing should be standardized from slide to slide, and not look like some schlub just barfed words onto a slide. I want my presentation to the students to at least look like some work went into it. A little pride and professionalism, is that too much to ask, NRA Training Department?

I guess the good news is I can go back to using the presentation I massaged, corrected, reformatted, etc., since nothing as changed. And, since nothing did change, why'd we have to wait so long for the "release" after the decision was made to go back to the old format?

And, while I'm ranting, in the "Intro" page, the Training Department says:

Please note that if an instructor conducts the ILT version of the course, they are required to provide each of their students with a Basics of Pistol Shooting student packet. Packets are available at the NRA Program Materials Center and consist of the NRA Guide: Basics of Pistol Shooting Handbook, and a course exam.

But when you go over to the Materials Center, the "NRA Guide: Basics of Pistol Shooting Handbook" is for sale, but it says "DO NOT USE."

So, WTF, NRA? This is a world-class training organization?

Back
Top Bottom